Why become a member? ×

Did your band improve AFTER a player left?

Arrowsmith

We parted company with a bass player in December. We played on Saturday and a member of the audience (who had seen us at least 6 times previously), commented on how much better we are without the other chap. It's a pleasure playing without him and the rest of the band feel the same. Noticeable difference in responses from the audience too. 

Just wondered if anyone had experienced something similar?

Edited by Arrowsmith

52 minutes ago, Arrowsmith said:

We parted company with a bass player in December. We played on Saturday and a member of the audience (who had seen us at least 6 times previously), commented on how much better we are without the other chap. It didn't come as a surprise to me because the bloke was a two-faced prick. It's a pleasure playing without him and the rest of the band feel the same. Noticeable difference in responses from the audience too. Funny really, as the individual involved thinks he's amazing.

Just wondered if anyone had experienced something similar?

Welcome to the forum.

Did you replace him or is the rest of the band covering?

Yes. But it was more of a letting the old player know he wasn't cutting it and we have decided to move on rather than him leaving.

The relife of not putting up with negotive people, a lack of interest or ability issue is always going to rase morale. If the replacment is a way better player that too inspires a band to get interested again. 

One of my bands used to have a 'star' singer, who was great on a good night.... when we parted company after about 18 months, I was surprised at how many people said 'she had a great voice, but you're more fun without her'.

I quit a hardcore punk band I'd founded in my teens because it wasn't going anywhere, I just felt like people weren't pulling their weight etc... Now they're signed... Maybe I was the problem! 😂

Edited by Akio Dāku
There,their, they're... FFS
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Personality clashes, indifference to musical tastes, a better player umong not so good players,a  worse  player amongst better players.....all part of the fun of band life.

To the OP; could you elaberate on what this bass player was/wasn't doing that got you wound up. Also what sort of things he did that made him think he was amazing. Y'know.....just in case its something any of us do here, like bass solos or turning up too loud,  but are blissfully unaware of.😀

He might  be a member of this forum in which case was it intended that he sees this? In which case are you airing dirty laundry?💣👀

Yes, a band I was in improved when both guitarists left. Originally one left, and I decided to jump to the 6-string seeing as I was writing all the songs. Then the other one left and a really great lead guitarist came in, allowing me to concentrate on rhythm guitar. The band sounded so much better imo, but then an opportunity for me to join another band came up which I took, and then realised where my preferences were so left the first band, which folded completely.

One of our two guitarists left a year or so ago. I was happy about it, not on a personal level as he’s a good guy, but from a musical perspective it was exactly what we needed. Both guitarists were playing Les Paul type guitars through cranked valve amps, very often playing the same part. Trying to get my bass through the wall of sound was frustrating to say the least.

We never even considered replacing him. As a three piece we sound bigger, tighter and punchier. I’ve got loads more room to play in, so yeah we definitely improved.

There is something about a three piece band.

It seems to be an ideal number of members when pubs are the staple diet for the band.  With a traditional drummer, bass and guitar the instrumentation is covered and then vox are the trick.  If you take advantage of tech, you can go a lot further with a three piece consisting of syndrums, keys and bass.  You may decide that a six or even a seven string bass is a good option for those must have guitar solos in your set.  Vox are still the trick though.

Keep it simple and there is less to go wrong.  Internal politics ought to be easier with only three in the band to keep in the loop.  Three strong egos are more stable together than four or more.  I think it's a bit like the engineering principle of triangulation for rigidity in structural design.

As to whether the band has a proper leader will depend on many variables.  The geographical placement of the band would largely dictate how democratic the band's choice of set, handling of bookings, promotion etc should be.  Personally, I think a leader is a good thing as long as the nominated band member is not autocratic about it.

For my fantasy band I wouldn't have a singer who does not play another instrument (tambourine does not count in this instance).  I'd like the three members to each have a vocal role.  I'd wait until the band had serious bookings and therefore a need for a front person before going down that route.

Edited by SpondonBassed

The old drummer of my last band got the elbow when the dep we used for a few gigs was blatantly much better and transformed our whole sound.

I used to sometimes swap my bass for guitar and lead vocals when our singer was away, and it also sounded much better than the usual version of the band.

Hence me not being in that band any more ha ha!

I'm not giving them chance to find out I might not like the result 😎 as @SpondonBassed says just Drums Bass and Guitar should give enough room for everybody in the sound, I've no wish to play with two guitars, but a good front man who hasn't got the restriction of playing an instrument is worth his/her weight in gold, I know ours works really hard at putting on an entertaining show

On 11/06/2018 at 14:48, spongebob said:

Yes! In my experience, it's always been drummer related. 

With a better drummer, I also find that my own playing usually improves too. Weak link in any band brings everybody down. 

Yes - In our case a drummer who played far too loud and far too fast - ironically he was a drum teacher 😄

He had a midlife crisis and systematically fell out with everyone he knew. I'd known him 20 years and will never talk to him again.

As soon as he was gone the band was so much better and much more fun

Yes. The previous incarnation of The Junkyard Dogs (a 4-piece pub band) was a 5-piece including keys.

The first keys player was a mindgames player who thought it fun to secretly sabotage my basslines by furtively using his left hand when no one was looking. No accident, he really did that, because he thought he was oh so clever. When the band finally discovered this, he jumped just before we could push him ... but not before he had recruited his own replacement. Seriously.

His replacement was a much nicer guy but nowhere near as talented, and very lazy too. He couldn't be arsed to learn new songs (Quote: "Why do we need new songs when the audience isn't yet bored with the old ones?") so he used to fake them - play the first three chords loudly, pretend to play for the rest of the song, and then play the last three chords loudly. Again, I'm not making this up.

Eventually we'd had enough, invited him to leave and never bothered to recruit a replacement. We're a far better outfit as a 4-piece than we ever were with a prima donna keyboard player.

1 minute ago, Happy Jack said:

We're a far better outfit as a 4-piece than we ever were with a prima donna keyboard player.

This reinforces my view that keys players are a localised pain in the fundament. And yes, I know good keys players are out there - I was in a band with one 40 years ago. Just haven't met one since...

53 minutes ago, discreet said:

This reinforces my view that keys players are a localised pain in the fundament. And yes, I know good keys players are out there - I was in a band with one 40 years ago. Just haven't met one since...

Liberace was alive back then and all... hmmm.

• Haha 1

The guitarist in my country band was ousted, due to being a bit of a git (and having atrocious BO). The replacement is not as good a guitarist as the guy he replaced but a much nicer person. Harmony has replaced discord and the band is in a happy place.

• Like 2

It seems to me that the OP Arrowsmith...joined only to post his complaint...he/she has visited several times since posting but not added to the debate. I asked a question that has not been answered...I think we should ignore this thread until the OP engages in the debate.....Ask yourselves.."when Have I ever started a thread on Basschat and not joined in with the answers? "

13 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I've only seen where a band member left and the bands sound changed for the worse.

Ever lose an outstanding drummer? Very hard to replace.

Blue

The American "can do" attitude has not been imported to the UK due to exorbitant import penalties.

Heeheehee, only joking.

There is a point to saying that however.  The great British drive to make do and mend during wartime and the subsequent long period of rationing might mean that it is more of a Brit tendency to put up with second best than an American one.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1