Why become a member? ×

62 P Bass value

If this will be your YOB bass, I'd be very interested in the follow up as I was born in '62 myself.

The notion that this could be the iconic British bass has just been posted.  Given a lottery win I'd have one and encapsulate it in resin for posterity.

Edited by SpondonBassed

It absolutely depends on whether it has had a refinish. If the seller is suggesting it may have had one, then you can be almost completely certain it has. That reduces the value by around half for a sunburst, more if it is a custom colour.  

Base price for a sunburst refin without further significant issues, maybe £3.5 k private sale, £4.5 -5k from a dealer. For a custom colour, the refin value is the same, the value for an original can be £7k to well over £10, depending on the rarity of the colour, condition and, of course, whether it is any good to play!! ( often overlooked)

For a 62, a slab fingerboard might nominally add £1k to an original bass, £500 to a refin.

if you are buying it as original finish, get a receipt stating it is original and preferably agree an approval period of, say, a week during which you can have it examined by an expert such as Andy Baxter or Martin Petersen.

If it's good to play and reasonably priced, go for it, but remember, there are always others out there.

11 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

It's worth whatever a willing buyer will pay.

Not quite as simple as that though is it.

It’s worth whatever someone is willing to pay assuming it is what they think it is! Due diligence is key with vintage instruments!

Si

I was planning to go down this route but not confident i know an original from a Bitsa bass. take an expert with you. The price will be more like £4 - £8k for a good genuine 62. I would rather play a Bravewood or Nash than be shafted

a couple of sites to check out. good luck.

http://davidjpym.com/page459.html

http://www.guitarhq.com/fender.html

Edited by deepbass5
web address edit

If unsure, take someone with you who knows, simple as that. Don't pass up the chance of owning a dream bass for yourself because of a lack of knowledge. You can always agree to meet at a reputable dealer, by appointment, and have it checked out together. It will be worth a small appraisal fee for the peace of mind.  Ensure truss rod has spare, and most importantly, it plays nice, and you like it!!  

Good luck!

Very rough guide

Refin veneer   £3-4k

Refin slab   £3-5k

Original veneer  £7k+

Original slab    £9k+

Custom Colours can be anything, dependent on the colour.

Guides based on sunburst finish, and excellent condition. Refin based on excellent quality nitro burst with correct shading.

Edited by Rick's Fine '52
spelling error

23 hours ago, Sibob said:

Not quite as simple as that though is it.

It’s worth whatever someone is willing to pay assuming it is what they think it is! Due diligence is key with vintage instruments!

Si

Same thing. A willing buyer will take all those factors into consideration.