Why become a member? ×

Rick Turner Electroline 5 string
£600

BassBod

Interesting bass!  

Made by Rick Turner (original woodwork guy and partner in Alembic...look him up!) in 2000. Conceived as a modern update on the Fender Jazz.

Ash body in gloss dark cherry red tint, with oiled maple neck and thin veneer rosewood fingerboard. 35” scale length. 

Two Turner magnetic pickups, in the Alembic tradition of wide frequency and neutral sound, plus individual piezo elements placed under each string in the Hipshot bridge. There is an (18v) active circuit that provides preamplification and allows the pickups to be mixed. There are no eq controls, just master volume, blend between the two mag pickups, and blend of the bridge piezo with the magnetics.  The concentric is two passive “roll off” tone pots - one for the magnetic, and one for the piezo.  Unusual, but I like it and it becomes intuitive very quickly.  

I bought the bass here a few years ago, and it came with several issues - every screw head and Allen bolt was damaged, as was the truss rod adjuster..pots were all noisy, jack socket worn, strap buttons glued...

I have had the frets levelled and re-profiled, replaced just about every screw in the bridge (thank you Hipshot!) repaired and refinished the back of the neck and fitted Dunlop strap buttons and a new jack.  My tame luthier said the truss rod was still adjustable, but take it back to him if it needs it.  

There is a small trim pot that acts as a master blend between piezo and magnetic pickups- this needs to be replaced as it currently does nothing, but I’ve not got around to it as the bass functions as is - probably worth doing, to have full control as it was designed. 

An interesting bass, but with some issues - these would be around 3k dollars new, so the price reflects this.  Comes in a nice but well used Levy’s bag, and all the Hipshot screws I’ve still got.  Sale only please and I would want you to have a good look and play before purchase - between Bristol and Bath, ten mins from M4 J18.

08BE751C-4A76-4501-BFA3-A9F66EF47AE1.jpeg

23948480-842C-47E1-A756-41B5ED956ABC.jpeg

B0D1587D-4B27-4FB5-9771-F4E7E2FB9736.jpeg

EA9564FF-8F69-42C8-BAC9-60C0B1F33A1D.jpeg

• Like 1

Two more things - the headstock Lion decal has pretty much rubbed off (apologies from luthier).  Also, it sounds from my description like this bass is a bit of a lost cause - it’s not, it’s a lovely instrument..but I feel it’s important that any defects are clearly stated...especially if a potential buyer is travelling. 

It is indeed - the active circuit is very high headroom, but all the pickups are very natural and clear. The passive tone controls really do give enough variation combined with the pickup blending.  It’s an extremely well considered design.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The two screws on the back are for pickup height adjustment. Bit like the Alembic system of two screws for height.   On the back control plate there is also a small hole that gives access to a trim pot for setting the master balance level between the piezo and mag pickups, then the pre-set range can be fine tuned by the second balance pot on the front of the bass.  Very well thought out, but the small trim pot needs replacing, as it does nothing at the moment.  Actually, it sounds fine as it is, but it should be replaced to restore the intended level of set up. 

The bass is fully active, but has no eq - just balance pots between the mag pickups, piezo built into the bridge, and passive "roll off" tones for each.  Its all about the sound of the player and the pickups.

• Like 1