Why become a member? ×

RESOLVED - Unseated frets complaint, advice welcome

foxyFuze

Hi folks,

Some advice Having sold a guitar on Reverb to what appears to be a guitar shop (as opposed to a private buyer), they have asked for a refund, telling me several frets are slightly unseated (0.2 - 0.3mm).  I never noticed this, and wonder if this is a "I don't want this anymore and I need an excuse" or if it is a genuine issue. I'd have thought such an issue is easily remedied with gentle hammer work (especially for a dealer).  I stated the frets and electronics were in very good condition, seeing as there was no wear and the pots etc all worked fine.
I set a 'No returns' policy for the sale. 
This is why I don't like dealing outside the realms of the good people of BC!

Advice welcome.

Edited by foxyFuze
issue resolved

Thanks both. It isn't a 'big brand' so to speak, so the cynic in me says he is having trouble selling it on. Could just be that I simply didn't notice (nor did the guitar guy who did a once over of the electronics a few weeks back).  I shall get back to him.

• Like 1

Had a response and I have asked again for photos, which are due tomorrow it seems, plus I've offered to foot a repair bill. I then noticed there's a 7 day period in which to raise issues on Reverb, which this is outside of. More to follow....

Regardless of outcome, BC is always the way to go!

Edited by foxyFuze

1 hour ago, foxyFuze said:

Last month

how long ago last month? surely after a certain number of days the buyer loses the right to return as any "issues" need to be notified within a specified time period?

10 days, which is beyond the 7 days buyer / seller protection date specified.  Technically, I've gone beyond my obligation in offering to pay any repair bill although they could still try to dispute over PainPal.

I hope this can be sorted in an adult fashion.

Pleased to hear it's come to some resolution.

Legally, as I understand it, if you were a business, you would be assumed to have good knowledge on the matter of what you sell. As a private individual, anyone buying from you is in a situation of "buyer beware".

So the bottom line is you, the seller are not liable.  They bought it. They probably sold it and now they're looking to you to hold their responsibility, as if you were a professional supplier to a business.

Essentially, yes.  I pointed out the T&Cs bit about 7 days but did not receive any gratitude for showing discretion.  Hey ho, such is life.  Now that I have no non-bass equipment to move on, I'll stick to BC!

One of several sent as below. I guess not having played the guitar regularly this passed me by (same goes for the chap who gave the electrics a once-over two weeks previous).  It'll definitely be something I look for when buying and selling in future, so lesson learned.

fret 1.JPG

3 minutes ago, machinehead said:

Interesting.  Thanks for posting.

I've seen this only once before, on a USA Musicman SUB bass that I own.  It was easily fixed by a few taps with a mallet, so hopefully it won't cost you too much to fix yours.

Frank.

It was several frets, so I paid him what the guitar tech quoted. Yeah it could have been a simple bit of malleting but I for the sake of a few quid, the issue has been resolved.

4 hours ago, foxyFuze said:

It was several frets, so I paid him what the guitar tech quoted. Yeah it could have been a simple bit of malleting but I for the sake of a few quid, the issue has been resolved.

Yes, I understand completely.  Sometimes peace-of-mind is more important than money.

Frank.

out of interest, how much did the guitar quote to reseat the frets? I am having my '90 Streamer Stage 1 frets reseated as pretty much all 24 of them are now flat whilst the fretboard is radiused. My local luthier has quoted me £50 for the job which seems reasonable to me.

6 hours ago, rmorris said:

Do you mean they are 'Flat' wrt the Fretboard because they have lifted at the fretboard edges ?

Well yes they are horizontal and the fretboard remains raised. So yes the frets are only flush with the fretboard in the middle of the board and lift away from the board progressively as the fret nears the edge of the board.