Why become a member? ×

Are you bothered if you ding your relic’d bass?

nash

Just saw a lovely CS Fender P for sale on here and it’s relic’d. They cost a lot. So would you be annoyed if you chipped, scratched etc that bass considering A. It’s essentially pre damaged and B. It costs a lot. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Musashimonkey said:

Not bothered in the slightest, that’s the beauty in roadworn basses. Very liberating. (Though I always take extra care of the neck). 

My position exactly. Also why I like quite feral originals too; if they are already quite damaged, who cares about a few extra dings apart from th neck.

The worst dent on a pristine bass is the first, so why have that to look forward to?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mentalextra said:

Are guitars the only instruments that are 'roadworn/relic'd'. Would there be any special interest in a relic'd drum kit or saxophone?

The saxophonist in a mates band asked me if I had anything in the lab where I work to remove lacquer and dull his new saxophone. There are loads of things but I wouldn’t suggest anything in case it went wrong. So it’s not just guitars. It’s not my thing at all but my Gibson is more than a little loved and it makes it less stressful in some ways.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GuyR said:

My position exactly. Also why I like quite feral originals too; if they are already quite damaged, who cares about a few extra dings apart from th neck.

The worst dent on a pristine bass is the first, so why have that to look forward to?

These are my own thoughts too. I did gig an expensive, mint bass once or twice, and was just way too worried about it getting that first "ding"
In fact, it met with an accident on its' first outing! - it was a fairly lucky escape in the end - if it had been placed an inch further left, or forward - it could have been really "dinged" or scratched...

For me, the Fender Roadworn series have been a real revelation. As has already been discussed, here and on other threads, players of these fine basses aren't out there, trying to get their basses more reliced
But who cares if it acquires another scratch or ding? It's the first time I've ever felt this way about a gigging instrument (other than an old, beaten up one I had for a short while) as GuyR says, it's really liberating.
I wasn't particularly bothered about reliced basses before I got mine - I didn't dislike them, or see them as any better or worse than any other instrument....

The Fender Raodworns are just fantastic quality instruments, and what I can't get over, is how they are made to feel and sound like older instruments. In fact, if I had a pre-CBS Fender, whether it was beaten up or not - I'd still gig with the Roadworn, as it's far less cost to replace, should it get nicked or damaged. If you don't like reliced basses.... fine - but don't preach to others that they are somehow "wrong" for liking them
And if you haven't tried a Fender Roadworn - don't knock them till you've tried one. Mine blew me away, as soon as I picked it up

Re the OP's question, as you have probably gathered - no, I'm not bothered about dinging my reliced bass.... that's why it's my gigging bass

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The59Sound said:

Jeez, a real ding on a fake dinged up bass...

So perhaps consider that its transitioning to "a more valid state" through the same kind of wear and tear and accidents that "real" relic basses show and by the same means. I don't see the logic of your position. Its almost like you're invalidating the whole thing simply because its had some intentional damage. Do people who've had cosmetic surgery somehow not get older / less cosmetically appealing through the same processes as other people ? 

I'm not shooting you down, I just honestly don't see your logic. No popcorn. 

Edited by Geek99

I have a relic vintage v4 icon that I have as a backup bass. I love it as it's the same style as my main bass, (my main isn't a relicd) but I can get it bashed, caught, dropped, scratched and leave it out of its case permanently so I can just grab it when I fancy a play.

This means my main stays in great condition and the backup can get dented all it wants - despite them being essentially the same bass.

18 hours ago, T-Bay said:

The saxophonist in a mates band asked me if I had anything in the lab where I work to remove lacquer and dull his new saxophone. There are loads of things but I wouldn’t suggest anything in case it went wrong. So it’s not just guitars. It’s not my thing at all but my Gibson is more than a little loved and it makes it less stressful in some ways.

You can buy brand new saxes without the lacquer... so they acquire an ancient patina very quickly. Before that I did hear of sax players having the lacquer stripped off. Never heard of deliberately dinging a sax, though. On the other hand, I bought my sax mouthpiece second hand (expensive brand new) and it looks like it's spent most of its life in a very unpleasant place. I did a lot of disinfecting befire I stuck it in me mouth.

On 11/06/2018 at 08:52, nash said:

Just saw a lovely CS Fender P for sale on here and it’s relic’d. They cost a lot. So would you be annoyed if you chipped, scratched etc that bass considering A. It’s essentially pre damaged and B. It costs a lot.

This is a wind-up, right?

On 11/06/2018 at 16:36, The59Sound said:

Jeez, a real ding on a fake dinged up bass...

I feel you.  This is a topic for the anally retentive.  I need to sit on the doughnut in Granny's greenhouse now.

*unfollow*

Edited by SpondonBassed