Why become a member? ×

P Bass - UK icon?

arthurhenry

When I think British, I think Wals and Shergolds, and the Burns Bison. And possibly headless Statii, although they're a bit 80s Start-the-Quattro shiny suits and hitched sleeves for it to be entirely positive...and that's without all the LEDs... 😕😁

No fuss, pragmatic and workmanlike are qualities that define a P bass for me. That's very American to me. British instruments tend to be a bit more quirky (and sometimes a bit off the wall) in design and execution - like the afore-mentioned Shergolds, Wals, etc. A bit like the difference between our cars and theirs. A pal loves his old American cars. He has a 1952 Pontiac at the moment - big V8, thirsty and comfortable for a car of its era, but quite agricultural in the way it's put together. Everything about it is over-built. Whereas many Brit' cars would have a couple of dozen machine screws to do a job, his has one dirty great bolt. Just as strong, but not as pretty. 

14 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

No fuss, pragmatic and workmanlike are qualities that define a P bass for me. That's very American to me. British instruments tend to be a bit more quirky (and sometimes a bit off the wall) in design and execution - like the afore-mentioned Shergolds, Wals, etc. A bit like the difference between our cars and theirs. A pal loves his old American cars. He has a 1952 Pontiac at the moment - big V8, thirsty and comfortable for a car of its era, but quite agricultural in the way it's put together. Everything about it is over-built. Whereas many Brit' cars would have a couple of dozen machine screws to do a job, his has one dirty great bolt. Just as strong, but not as pretty. 

True, but the P bass is genesis as far as I'm concerned.  And as everyone knows the brits invented most stuff and the rest of the world made it better. Railways,computers the internet, aneasthetic, the steam engine, electric networks, the jet engine......

44 minutes ago, Nicko said:

True, but the P bass is genesis as far as I'm concerned.  And as everyone knows the brits invented most stuff and the rest of the world made it better. Railways,computers the internet, aneasthetic, the steam engine, electric networks, the jet engine......

Er... yes - but not the P Bass. Wanting the P Bass to be a British creation is wishful thinking. The fact remains that it is not. The USA, the UK and Germany were once the workshops of the world, but - for reasons I don't want to go into here - that is no longer the case.

1 hour ago, Nicko said:

You are quite wrong about the Jet engine.  As someone who has freelanced for Royce's on a few contracts I can assure you of that.

7 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

You are quite wrong about the Jet engine.  As someone who has freelanced for Royce's on a few contracts I can assure you of that.

I was always under the impression that the jet engine was invented by Frank Whittle who is British?? 

4 hours ago, Jimothey said:

I was always under the impression that the jet engine was invented by Frank Whittle who is British?? 

I think it was the 'rest of the world made it better' that rankles. RR, a quintessentially British firm, do, indeed, make world-class, top-performing jet engines, and have done for... oh, maybe even longer than that. :|

17 hours ago, Nicko said:

This was the bit that stuck in my craw.

8 hours ago, Jimothey said:

Correct.  I have experience in both the civil and the military application of flight.

Sir Frank Whittle developed the predecessor of the jet turbine engine that we know today.  Manufacturers changed the design of the compressors in a major development going from the radial type to the axial type.  In the seventies, Royce's designed a three spool version of the axial flow engine (others have two only).  They got a highly efficient version of the engine and it was hailed as a triumph of design.  That same design is a world leader now.  Neither Pratt and Whitney nor GEC can match the engine's efficiency with their big engines.

The British Government has to be given credit for supporting Royce's during the birth of the RB211in the seventies because they were about to go under financially before they could get the RB211 into production.

RR Trent 1000

3 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

I think it was the 'rest of the world made it better' that rankles. RR, a quintessentially British firm, do, indeed, make world-class, top-performing jet engines, and have done for... oh, maybe even longer than that. :|

Yup.  What he^ said.

Edited by SpondonBassed

9 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

This was the bit that stuck in my craw.

Correct.  I have experience in both the civil and the military application of flight.

Sir Frank Whittle developed the predecessor of the jet turbine engine that we know today.  Manufacturers changed the design of the compressors in a major development going from the radial type to the axial type.  In the seventies, Royce's designed a three spool version of the axial flow engine (others have two only).  They got a highly efficient version of the engine and it was hailed as a triumph of design.  That same design is a world leader now.  Neither Pratt and Whitney nor GEC can match the engine's efficiency with their big engines.

The British Government has to be given credit for supporting Royce's during the birth of the RB211in the seventies because they were about to go under financially before they could get the RB211 into production.

RR Trent 1000

Yup.  What he^ said.

Due to the nature of my work, I sometimes forget that RR do quite well in the aero engine business.  In terms of static gas turbines the rest of the world (GE, Alsthom, Mitsubushi, Siemens) has improved the design, efficiency and emissions and by comparison the RB211 industrial derivitive is a bit of a baby.  No offence meant.

5 minutes ago, Nicko said:

Due to the nature of my work, I sometimes forget that RR do quite well in the aero engine business.  In terms of static gas turbines the rest of the world (GE, Alsthom, Mitsubushi, Siemens) has improved the design, efficiency and emissions and by comparison the RB211 industrial derivitive is a bit of a baby.  No offence meant.

None taken.

It was a highly generalised statement however and I am proud of my countries achievements.  Especially as they've paid for my house.