Why become a member? ×

P Bass - UK icon?

arthurhenry

As a P Bass does not hit any of the OEDs definitions of the word Icon, I would say not, however, I think might hit (if not, at least graze) the OEDs definition of the word Iconic (the misuse of which I one of my pet hates along with literally)...

Designating a person or thing regarded as representative of a culture or movement; important or influential in a particular (cultural) context.

...so I would suggest that a P Bass may well be Iconic to bass players specifically but I am unsure if this actually makes it Iconic per se as I think the object has to relate to secondary signifiers for lay people as well as those involved in the field that the iconic object originates from.

Edited by Frank Blank

1 minute ago, Frank Blank said:

As a P Bass does not hit any of the OEDs definitions of the word Icon, I would say not, however, I think might hit (if not, at least graze) the OEDs definition of the word Iconic (the misuse of which I one of my pet hates along with literally)...

Designating a person or thing regarded as representative of a culture or movement; important or influential in a particular (cultural) context.

...so I would suggest that a P Bass may well be Iconic to bass players specifically but I am unsure if this actually makes it Iconic per se as I think the object has to relate to secondary signifiers for lay people as well as those involved in the field that the iconic object originates from.

Well it can't actually be defined as British either, but as my "tags" read: Random nonsense.

38 minutes ago, arthurhenry said:

The workmanlike, no nonsense, get the job done qualities I think. 

Understated is probably the quality you're thinking of.

No bells and whistles. Nothing flash.

Edited by gjones

8 minutes ago, Thunderbird said:

Slightly off topic but is there any English made mass produced bass guitars I can't think of any 

There's a couple.

Status would probably be the most high profile.

Edited by Cato

16 hours ago, gjones said:

Understated is probably the quality you're thinking of.

No bells and whistles. Nothing flash.

16 hours ago, arthurhenry said:

Exactly, perhaps qualities not frequently associated with America.

Absolutely, but this applies to most of Fenders guitar output so Telecasters would also be English.  NOt sure about the Jaguar with all the trick tone circuitry, although Vox were very keen on onboard effects at various timesthroughout their history