Why become a member? ×

Learning bass after 40's

pnunes76

13 minutes ago, pnunes76 said:

Hi guys, I'm almost 42 years old and I'm thinking of starting to learn how to play bass guitar. I'm too old for this adventure or not??

Quite a lot of excellent answers in the thread below...

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I started 'playing' in my late teens teaching myself from the archetypal tune a day book for a couple of years so my standard was very to poor to non existent. I stopped due to starting work and re-started at 44 and now at he age of 60 I play in a band. My level of playing is only fair but does the job and the enjoyment I get from have taken up the bass is enormous.

Don't think about it just do it and if you need any support there are members on this forum are always prepared to help you out.

• Like 1

Age has no influence on if you should do something in life or not, only ability and if you want to do it or not. Being 42 is no age either, only half way through your years. I say stop thinking about it and go do it, you don't know the fun and enjoyment you are missing.

As a tip for when you get started, don't pack your bass away in its case with the intention of getting it out to play each time. It won't happen I promise you. Leave it out somewhere where you see it or walk past it all the time. You'll then get the urge to play it more often, usually at weird times like before going to bed, waiting to go out as your other half gets ready, sitting waiting for a courier, waiting for the kettle to boil or the oven to warm up but it means you still get to play it. Pack it away and you'll never play it I promise.

Second tip, play everything, literally everything, play along to your favourite advert, genre's you dont like, songs on the radio, literally everything. At this stage, be a sponge so be as open to everything you can and take everything in as there will always be something you can learn from.

Final tip, there is no right or wrong, there is music and expression and how you play and express yourself is your choice. Don't be told you are doing something wrong but be open to learning a more efficient way of playing.

Edited by Linus27
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Linus27 said:

As a tip for when you get started, don't pack your bass away in its case with the intention of getting it out to play each time. It won't happen I promise you. Leave it out somewhere where you see it or walk past it all the time. You'll then get the urge to play it more often

+1

Great tip.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pnunes76 said:

Hi guys,

I'm almost 42 years old and I'm thinking of starting to learn how to play bass guitar. I'm too old for this adventure or not?? Give me your advices...

Thanks

I started at 44 about 18months ago. I did my first gig after two and half months and have been playing regularly since. Got two gigs this month, both rebookings. I didn’t have any lessons but spent a bit of time on YouTube at places like Scott’s bass lessons. Mostly I just found bass lessons for songs I like and learned from them, then moved to working out basslines by listening and working them out. I also found Yousician app useful at first for technique. For me there is one key question - what do want out of it? That will determine how much you need to put in. I wanted to be in a band and be playing gigs so half an hour a week is no good. I practice an average of an hour a day and play seven days a week (have a travel bass that goes on holidays with me), when learning new sets in the run up to gigs I have been at it three or fours a day for short periods. It is amazing fun and I regret not keeping up my very brief attempt when I was 19. It’s never too late and this forum is an amazing resource and people are so friendly and helpful you have an amazing amount of experience at your fingertips.

• Like 1

I had my first guitar at 16, but sat behind the drum kit in bands then, in the 60s.

Scroll forward many years, my daughter taking Music A level, playing in our church band, I picked the guitar up again to support her, but changed to bass when a much better guitar player joined.  I’d be in my mid/late 50s by then, and at 71, I still play in a church band, as well as a jamming band with blokes ofmy age.  

So my message to the OP is go for it, and follow the great tips given in other posts.  And ENJOY!!

Edited by Baxlin
  • Like 1

I am 65 next week, been playing in my current band for six years, previous one for two, I started to learn to play Bass at age 57, when a bunch of guys in my local formed a band just for fun, told me they had no intention of gigging. after first session, told me they had fibbed, and had a gig in six weeks! I had to learn from scratch, not looked back since. So go for it Dude, never too old. 

• Like 1

My oldest student will soon be 81. I think that says it all about never being too old to learn. He’s just bought a 5 string too.

I have a few students in their 40s and 50s. 

You just need to have the desire and time to learn, that’s all.

29605E64-AFFA-48C6-874A-FF663AFA5009.jpeg

Edited by ambient
  • Like 1

I started playing guitar and bass in my teens; I'm now about to turn 68 and I'm still no blinkin' good at either. :$ This proves that starting early is not a guaranteed recipe for succeeding. Any age is good, as long as the criteria as in posts above are in place (motivation and the time to put into learning...).

I'd recommend a tutor, at least at first, as being a 'fast-track' to playing decently (at any age...). Good luck with it all... B|

• Like 1

About 5 years ago my next door neighbour, a lovely German lady, decided to learn double bass. She was in he 60's. She plays jazz and her band (she already runs her own band!) is rehearsing next door right now. 3 years ago they were always out of tune and there were bum notes all over the place. These days there are hardly any and they all sound sound pretty good. They are not picking the easy songs to play either.

If anyone wants to play bass be it like Adam Clayton or Charlie Mingus. . . just do it. Have fun.

• Like 2

Age doesn’t matter, what really matters is having the time and energy to practice every day, and having the balls to get up and play in front of people.

I only started in my mid 30s, around 10 yrs ago, and I’m in a gigging jazz trio, regular gigs, jams etc, I’m doing ok. I practice a lot though.

It’s worth mentioning that for most of those 10 years I’ve been self employed so I’ve been able to put time aside to play and practice whenever I want. I think the number one enemy of learning anything when you’re older is lack of time and energy.

• Like 1

Go for it. I taught a 40 year old women who was new to bass some years ago.  She stuck at it and played in a few bands.  Find a good tutor who will inspire you and keep at it. You won't regret it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deepbass5 said:

From what i am reading here  - the thread should read  Still learning bass after 40 years  and that's how i look at my position

I've been playing longer than that and I've just started taking lessons. You can always learn something new and worthwhile.

Late starter here (started late 40s now in early 50s), no guitar-based background in my youth either. Do it.

The comment about leaving the bass out - so true. Mine's hung on the wall here in the home office and it's picked up every day.

• Like 1

I played guitar for many years but was never very good at it.  I stumbled on bass aged 39 and found that I was much better as a bass player.  I never looked back and consider myself a bass player who also plays a bit of guitar.

Learn the bare basics and join a band for accelerated success.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Nicko said:

...I stumbled on bass aged 39...

A timely reminder that, leaving your bass accessible to pick up and play at any time is a Good Thing, but be wary with advancing years; make sure that it's not somewhere in the way where one may trip over on it. Serious injury could result. Elf'n'safety 'an all, eh..? ;)

• Like 1