Why become a member? ×

Joe Hubbard Warwick signature

visog

Basschatters,

Not sure if you've been following the development of Joe's signature Warwick? Well here it is and it looks great - probably very expensive but great... Here's Joe's unboxing video:

3 hours ago, visog said:

Basschatters,

Not sure if you've been following the development of Joe's signature Warwick? Well here it is and it looks great - probably very expensive but great... Here's Joe's unboxing video:

Looks like a particularly excited Fortress...

He does seem like a very nice chap though. He seemed to like the gig bag so much I thought he'd forgotten about what was inside.

I would agree that it's a little too busy with the hardware, visually, for my taste but it does sound well which is the main thing.

Interested in the Aguilar super doubles.

Also seems like Joe gets a haircut after the first playing sample...

• 2 weeks later...

Probably a deal/endorsement I'm guessing. Warwick are pretty savvy working with I/net musicians and educators to promote the brand to the blogging generation.

Given Warwick's pricing, I bet the price of that bass is not too far of the Fodera.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BreadBin said:

It says in the video - 1/3rd lighter. 

I stand corrected. For those interested, the bass has popped up on Warwick's customer shop site: http://warwick.de/en/Warwick---Products--Instruments--Customshop---Masterbuilt--Basic-Bass-Models--Discontinued-Customshop--Discontinued-Models--Fortress---18-3758--5-string--Pictures.html

I wonder what was involved with changing the body shape? Did Joe sit with a Warwick designer? How far can you go before they say, "that's too far off the body shape template"

Edited by visog

• 3 months later...

Hey Guys!

Just stumbled over this thread and thought I'd chime in a bit about what is unique about my JHB signature bass.  After the Warwick 35 years celebration in September 2017, Warwick asked me what would it take for me to come onboard as an endorser.  My answer was simple, "You have to make me a bass that I'll want to play forever!"  I was imediately flown out to Germany to the Custom Shop and spent 4-days with their head designer going through all the details  of what had to be in this model.  It has to be said that the Warwick JHB is totally different to any other Warwick bass I have seen and/or played, and when I was at the factory, I played everything they had.

The Fortress body shape was chosen for two reasons.  Firstly, Warwick did not want to design a completely new body shape, they wanted it to be representative of one of their basses- that was the only restriction.  I chose the Fortress because at 24 frets, it was the only body shape they do that balanced properly.  The shape was cutomised slightly in that it had a deeper angled curved where the forearm goes across and deep scoops on the inside of both the upper and lower horns.  One of the most radical changes made, was the use of a different bridge.  Historically, Warwick has always used a 2-peice bridge which is highly adjustable, but I never liked the sound of those 2-peice bridges- too clickly and hi-fi sounding.  Instead we used an All Parts 'Omega' bridge which is a copy of the Badass II bridge.  Badass went out of business sometime ago and All Parts waited until their patent expired and have done an exact copy- IMO the best sounding bridge ever.  This single customisation makes this bass sing head over heels compared to any other Warwick bass I've heard.  I love the sound of the Aguilar Super Doubles.  I had those in my Fodera, but that was something I switched out as the Fodera came with Seymor Ducans.  I also wanted the EM Bass Mute, which is a switchable bass muting system which emulates the palm muting technique.  The circuit was designed by me and Warwick did a terrific job in manufacturing that exactly to my personal specs.  The body wood is swamp ash which is considerably lighter than the American Ash on the Fodera and has a much more agressive and responsive sound.  There's an ultra-thin AAA Flame Maple top.  This was crucial as a lot of basses are made with top woods that are too thick which messes with the sound. 

The neck is also completely different from the garden variety Warwick bass.  For starters, it has 19mm spacing which was the first bass they've produced with this spacing.  In addition the depth of the neck is super thin and instead of a "C" shape, it's more of an assymetrical shape much like a teardrop, where there's a little more weight at the low strings and less weight at the higher strings.  While I was at the Custom Shop, I played the  Lee Sklar model.  Although I diddn't really like that bass, they used small madolin fretwire which was incredible, so we added that as well to the JHB.  The neck is made from Flame Maple, with a Bird's Eye Maple fretboard.  This was finished off with a graphite nut.  The playabitlity is amazing and all in all Warwick has done a fabulous job in reproducing all of my original ideas about this wonderful instrument. 

So many people were shocked when  they heard I had gone to Warwick, but when I posted the original sound samples people were amazed at how good this bass sounded.  Many stating that it was a lot punchier than the Fodera.   I did like the Fodera bass, but my JHB bass is so much better.  This is the bass I use now.  You'll see a lot  of guys who have endorsements who will never play the basss they endorse unless they're at a trade show.  Not me.   From the very outset with Warwick, I said that the only way that I  will work with you is that you knock this out of the park and build me something  that I'll play forever!  They in turn came up with the goods!  Bavo Warwick!

Edited by Joe Hubbard Bass
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good thing that you play better than you spell...the grammar Nazis are going to love your contribution. 😏😏

Something that I picked up on...

11 hours ago, Joe Hubbard Bass said:

I chose the Fortress because at 24 frets, it was the only body shape they do that balanced properly.

Quality!!

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Mastodon2 said:

What a ringing endorsement for Warwick 😮

I just think that's Joe being honest about his experiences, as he should be.
Everyone else experiences will be different based on a number of different factors (strap height etc etc).

Thanks for the insight Joe, I certainly wasn't aware that Warwick had never made a 19mm spaced 5 string, was aware of the Broad Neck 20mm option though, played a few of those years ago, actually very comfortable.

Si

Edited by Sibob

Hey Grangur

That is incorrect- most Warwicks are not made with 36 frets.  The average with them is 24 frets and if you've ever played a Thumb bass or a Streamer which are their two most popular models, then you would immediately feel the unbalanced pull towards the headstock.  That is precisely why Stu Hamm's signature model has a altered body shape from their standard Streamer shape.  Wariwck's head designer Marcus Spangler and their owner Han Peter Wilfer have both told me directly that they have never made a neck as wide as mine to accommodate the 19mm specs.  Have you spoken to them directly?  No- I didn't think so.