Why become a member? ×

Westone Thunder Bass

deaky

My first bass was a Columbus Jazz bass for £30 which I detested and then my Dad bought me a Westone for my birthday and it was a dream bass for a 17 year old.  I loved it and our fans always commented on the tone which I heavily copied the Sisters of Mercy sound.  It was a treble monster.  I remember Stuart Morrow playing his on songs like No Rest (one great live performance of him on YouTube) and his sound was fab imho.

I'll always regret selling that bass, but couldn't buy another because it wasn't THAT bass. 

47 minutes ago, Sarlscharisma said:

My first bass was a Columbus Jazz bass for £30 which I detested and then my Dad bought me a Westone for my birthday and it was a dream bass for a 17 year old.  I loved it and our fans always commented on the tone which I heavily copied the Sisters of Mercy sound.  It was a treble monster.  I remember Stuart Morrow playing his on songs like No Rest (one great live performance of him on YouTube) and his sound was fab imho.

I'll always regret selling that bass, but couldn't buy another because it wasn't THAT bass. 

My first bass was a Columbus Jazz too.

My second was a Rickenbacker (which I’ve still got). 

Edited by prowla

Sorry again.... But any excuse to show off my Thunder II v3, with optional xlr and never seen again claret (ish) sparkle finish. Thank you Musical Exchanges in about 1990 for trading my Encore P. This was my only bass til about 2010 it was that good... Should have kept it at that coz now I have 10! 

IMG_20200417_130046.jpg

• Like 7

• 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 13/05/2022 at 14:56, Monsterbonsai said:

Another year passed on this thread, but still..

Would someone happen to have a red see-through one?

Or a walnut neck through?

Screenshot_20220513-155204_Samsung Internet.jpg

I"ve got two Thunder III Mk2's (See-through Red and See-through Black) . Beautiful basses, Not for sale though.

Westones TIII's.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My first bass guitar was a Thunder 1 (passive, rather than the 1a which was active?).

I paid £149 i think in around 84.

Played it for a few years, but it was eventually replaced in 86/87 by a MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special which was in a different league.

It was a decent bass, slim neck IIRC and stayed in tune etc, but I never felt any need to try to get another for nostalgic reasons or otherwise.