Why become a member? ×

de Gier Bebop 5 SOLD!
£1500

graham1945

A big reduction (Nov 18), I really need to get on and order my de Gier Soulmate!

Also a couple of new pics at the end of this post showing the black pick guard which comes in addition to the tortoiseshell one. (matching covers for pre amp cover on the rear)

Two of these recently sold at Paul's Bass Matters for 1,500 euros each, and didn't have the East pre amp.

Well, I've had great fun with this wonderful bass which I got from Hazbeen on here around eighteen months ago. At that time I was looking for a used de Gier Soulmate 5 - these don't appear to exist! So I have decided to sell the Bebop (and one other already sold) to fund a purchase of a new Soulmate. That is the only reason for the sale.

Since manufacture Harry had an East U Retro (flat response) 3 band EQ pre amp, with this fitted almost any sound is achievable, and a great addition. This replaced the de Gier "Fat Boost" circuit which came with the bass - this boosted the low frequency when using the bridge pick up only, and will be supplied with the bass. I have also had matching tortoiseshell pick and pre amp guards fitted, but the bass will have the original matt black ones (shown on the de Gier factory shot from Instagram) supplied with the bass.

Main specifications are:-

Lollar pickups, 60's spacing, swamp ash body, rosewood fretboard with blocks and binding, 21 frets, 34" scale, 19mm spacing, de Gier/CTS hi mass bridge and Hipshot Ultralite tuners. It weighs around 4.4kg.

It is a used bass, so there are one or two minor marks, no buckle rash. A paint chip near the flush mount Dunlop straplock, see picture 5. This really is in super condition and gets many compliments at gigs. It comes with an unused de Gier very heavy duty gig bag.

I would really prefer a face to face sale, and you are welcome to come and try the bass. Carriage would be extra and it would be insured and have the neck detached. A meet up in southern UK would be preferable.

Let me know if you need any further info, but I don't have sound clips. There are some on the de Gier website.

4H1A8326.JPG

4H1A8327.JPG

4H1A8328.JPG

4H1A8329.JPG

4H1A8330.JPG

4H1A8331.JPG

4H1A8332.JPG

4H1A8333.JPG

4H1A8334.JPG

4H1A8335.JPG

4H1A8336.JPG

B75FB2EE-6F83-431F-B272-11B4CE7C293A.JPG

IMG_8263.JPG

IMG_8264.JPG

Edited by graham1945
Sold
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, graham1945 said:

Thanks Harry, the temptation of a Soulmate is still there! Hope you're good and that you're not sorry you went graphite? 

Not sorry, it just made sense considering and that has not changed, but still have fond memories of the Bebop to keep forever :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 25/09/2018 at 12:22, FilipBass said:

Is it possible to set 18 mm spacing? Thanks.

I believe it is possible to set the bridge spacing at 18mm. This has the same bridge as both my Elevation 6 basses and you can adjust the spacing by moving the small saddles the strings rest on. I can achieve between 17mm and just under 19mm with my basses. 

37 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

I believe it is possible to set the bridge spacing at 18mm. This has the same bridge as both my Elevation 6 basses and you can adjust the spacing by moving the small saddles the strings rest on. I can achieve between 17mm and just under 19mm with my basses. 

Thanks, mate!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Graham,

I see that the De Gier is still for sale. I am interested, but I don't have the possibility to travel to the UK. Buying it unseen/untested is not something I would prefer, and detaching the neck for shipping is not a good idea imho... That said, are there any other options to make this happen? (P.S. I am in the south of the Netherlands)

Just to be sure a few additional questions;
- The original Vanderkley preamp and pickguard/preamp guard are included, right? 
- You said in previous posts that there is no active/passive switch. Does this mean that there is no way to switch to passive mode with the East pre-amp or is there a push/pull pot to do this?
- Is the strap part of the Dunlop straplocks included?

BR,
Ger