Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a bass please

Hi, my Squier affinity P is starting to show signs of a hard life on the road, and Im wondering if its time I retired it and treated myself to something a little more upmarket. Is there a Squier /Fender that fits the bill? Bearing in mind I currently gig a £90 bass may give you an idea of the budgets i run to ;)

So im looking for a P body, thin J style neck, Pj pickup configuration. Preferably reasonably lightweight as we do 2+ hour shows.  The Affinity fulfilled those criteria but with no frills. Id be happy to go up to £5- 600 I guess.

Any ideas? 

First thing that comes to mind is a Marcus Miller P7. P body, jazz neck, PJ pickups, plus active preamp. Easily found for under £500 new. Not sure about weight as I've not owned one, but should be fairly light (especially the alder models).

Not sure about Squires/Fenders specifically, I'm sure others will though

• Like 3

Squier Standard series were decent basses with a PJ config, I had one myself years ago, but couldn't get away with the J pup, but if that's what you're after, there's one here  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Squire-Black-P-Bass/113034447452?hash=item1a5160ca5c:g:uiwAAOSw5PJbE6R- 

and another https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FENDER-SQUIER-PRECISION-BASS/323289166629?hash=item4b45893325:g:ftMAAOSwhEla4w80

oh and the neck is J spec.

Edited by pst62

A Fender Precision Lyte May do the job - sort of scaled down Precisiony body, PJ pickups ( albeit with active preamp) and as light as a light thing. Mine is around 7lbs and has saved me from making a shoulder injury a problem, and long sets are so much easier too. Made in Japan from late 80’s to late 90’s ,they are well made basses that sound fine but can be easily modded to a passive if that’s your thing. Often come up s/h for around £350 upwards and are a well kept secret / well worth it IMHO. 

• Like 1

Also forgot to mention the Fender Precision Special - MIM, PJ pickups and narrow jazz width neck. Current/ recent models are active but the first ones if you can find one were passive. Again, s/h your best bet, around the £400 mark.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, casapete said:

Also forgot to mention the Fender Precision Special - MIM, PJ pickups and narrow jazz width neck. Current/ recent models are active but the first ones if you can find one were passive. Again, s/h your best bet, around the £400 mark.

This. I have one. It meets your specs exactly and won't cost an arm and a leg used.

1 hour ago, casapete said:

I think @Norris has one

At that budget, Yamaha BB434 (new) or BB734A (second-hand).

I had a go on a BB434 the other day (since Kenny's in Dundee has them on special offer at £299: here), and the build quality was certainly very impressive, but I don't think it meets the "thin J style neck" criterion above, unfortunately...

5 hours ago, casapete said:

4 hours ago, Geek99 said:

I think @Norris has one

Mine is an Indonesian Squier P-Bass Special. Pretty much the same spec though. Precision body, jazz neck and passive P/J pickups. I bought it second hand on here a few years ago. I think it had sat around unplayed for some time, so just needed a clean up and it was pretty much pristine. The SD QPs and Hipshot detuner I've upgraded it with cost more than the bass (£150 iirc). It's my regular gigging bass

6 minutes ago, Graham said:

They're brilliant - I have a US version, I don't really play 4 strings anymore, but it's going nowhere.

Yes, they are amazing basses for their price. The Tributes have a lot in common with their USA cousins. The pick ups and electronics are exactly the same. The main differences would be on wood type and finish. Not bad..when you consider the price difference. 😉

• Like 1

You might try a Maruszczyk Jake if you can stretch the budget. There's one for sale here on BC at the moment 

Or one of their ex-exhibition items direct from the manufacturer

https://www.public-peace.de/bass-guitars/maruszczyk/jake/4-string/465-jake-4a-sterling-white100169

PS. I saw your show in Islington, earlier in the year. 👍

the G&L and others are no doubt fine considerations but in my corner stands the lightweight champion with tons of big balls and heavy punch called the Peavey Zodiac BXP which I've posted about somewhere here on BC. the neck is to die for and if a slim taper is your need I think you'll love how it virtually disappears at the nut yet is surprisingly comfortable for myself who enjoys a bit of chunk. among my dozen inexpensive basses and an L2KT this is my favorite along with my old standby P the '80s Matsumoku made Lotus L-750 which is very different in every way from the Zodiac, can be found for pennies, and holds it's own in any town. both have the looks, sound, total comfort, and dirt cheap prices to make them prized pieces. like with any bass an electronic upgrade can elevate them from great to greater.

here's a stock photo, mine is naked (sans scratchplate) and IMO is one of the sexiest basses ever designed. the optional pax are nice but the burst / maple is sweet.

image.png.2389035488f5619be42c1983fa09a74e.png

if a straight P is preferable they have this one which is often even less costly, there's a black one online in the States for $99! these foreign Peaveys are not crap.

https://www.ebay.com/i/183206260257?chn=ps

Edited by Bass V