Why become a member? ×

NBD...finally

Paulhauser

After many years of not even wanting one and somewhat disliking its sound, lately I have decied that I'm getting old enough to own a P bass (ok, I know, I know 🙂 )

So this FGN Neo Classic P came around and I bought it without hesitation. FGN is the house brand of the Japaneese Fujigen factory that produced many Fender MIJ /CIJ basses and also do the MIJ Prestige line for Ibanez amogst others.

I've had 2 FGN jazzes before and they left a very good impression in terms of build quality and overall feel and this one did not disappoint either. FGN basses are of great value, if they had a decent European distribution they'd be a lot more known I think.

I bought it used from Denmark and the courier company actually lost this within their system for a week. Fortunately it was found and delivered in the end. Shipping cost was paid back as a reimbursement though, so it was all good in the end 🙂

The bass: nothing extraordinary to write home about, 'just' a great P bass with great attention to detail, flawless finish, nice feel and in a very cool color (would love to have a white pearl pickguard though) Alder/rosewood, the sound is surprisingly strong and lively (D'Addario Chromes are on it) Neck is somewhere between a jazz and a P,  very comfortable for me.  The bass has a circle fret system with slightly curved frets (see last pic) Its not really noticeable but it's there FWIW.

As I use exclusively 5 string Spector basses for the gigs I do I bought this bass primarily for having a good P for noodling on and the occasional need to play a P with flats on it 🙂 So this is covered now and I'm more than happy as this bass sounds a lot more than I've expected and handles really well.

Now the pics:

IMG_5945.thumb.JPG.bd771254e1a873fc9ed60cd5801c446e.JPG

IMG_5949.thumb.JPG.07b57708d4f73ad5cc6581f58d9fcd49.JPG

IMG_5947.thumb.JPG.b0be5d719ddd6ec56ac05c7b93fa649b.JPG

IMG_5946.thumb.JPG.ad540851e209d55cbe13a4c51a945998.JPG

856493305_circlefret.gif.9b71db54cd063d291fca6b8deaec5b73.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, naxos10 said:

Nice looking bass there Mr Paulhauser, just the right shade or red.

Thanks! Never had a solid color red bass before, but the color was one of the selling point for me (wouldn't have wanted a generic sunburst P, no issue with the SB at all, but wanted someting else)

No one going to comment on that weird fret diagram at the end of the OP... sort of multiscale but not in a way I've seen before...???

How does this feature on your bass? Does it sound better?

9 hours ago, visog said:

No one going to comment on that weird fret diagram at the end of the OP... sort of multiscale but not in a way I've seen before...???

How does this feature on your bass? Does it sound better?

The frets look straight so even if there is a curve to them it isn't really noticeable visually.