Why become a member? ×

Fret wire types

Fishman

Hello Basschat, can you hear me? Anyone out there?

The reason I ask the question in the previous post is because this chap mentions fret wire – I have to say that I've never given it much thought – seems like nobody else has either!

Fret wire comes in a large range of varying heights and widths. It's down to personal preference. A lot of people go for "jumbo" frets, although you'll struggle to find a fret wire described as such on sale. The action is the gap between the strings and frets, so the height of the frets doesn't really have a bearing. However it sounds like you might prefer a shorter fret, in which case it's probably best to keep them wide to avoid excessive wear, especially if you use roundwounds

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jebroad said:

I have a dingwall and they come with banjo frets stock. They’re really low and give you nice smooth glisses

24 minutes ago, DaveFry said:

I have just found the source of my recollection of Leland Sklar's fret mods . 

https://www.bassplayer.com/artists/lee-sklar-reflects-on-his-career

( About halfway down the page , look for mandofrets )

Indeed it was Lee who put Dingwall on to those smaller frets. Hi sown Lee Sklar Dingwall bass does indeed have Mandolin frets whereas all the other models in the Dingwall range are Banjo sized frets. 

Thanks @dood interesting article – I particularly like the Producer Switch bit !

Glissando – I suppose it makes sense thinking about it logically – I also liked his description of frets: railroad tracks clicking away

Very smooth playing on that Lukather track too

• Like 1