Why become a member? ×

Number of songs for audition

I'm going to be auditioning for a covers band in 2 weeks, and the BL has sent me a list of 11 songs for the audition. Now, personally I believe that you don't need more than 3-5 songs to know if it's going to be a good fit. So should I:

a. Suggest trimming down the list. Doing fewer songs will allow me to focus on them better. It also allows me to establish myself as someone who has opinions and isn't afraid of a little healthy debate.

b. Just do the 11 songs. If I make a fuss at this early stage, then they'll think of me as someone who is lazy, or who isn't capable of learning large numbers of songs. Truth is, I'm well-and-truly that guy who always turns up to rehearsals and gigs well-prepared, and it would be a shame for them to get the wrong impression.

Thoughts?

S.P.

UPDATE: I got the gig

Edited by Stylon Pilson
  • Like 2

You shouldn`t need more than 5 songs, but at any audition/interview/sales-pitch you do what you`ve been briefed to do in order to get the job/sale. So in this case, learn said 11 songs and let them see "the real you".

Definitely 'b'. I would mention up front if there were any you ran out of time for, or would need to busk. Being a good fit is more important than nailing everything from the outset.

I would also interpret the request as that there will not be a queue of bass players lining up to audition that day. 

Best of luck!

2 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

This isn't going to end well ...

Haha, you say that, but historically I've tended to be a little too conflict-averse.

I think that, on the basis of the responses so far, it would make sense for me to accept all the songs but not be afraid of not 100%ing all of them.

S.P.

Agreed. Don't know about you but I genuinely enjoy learning new material, especially stuff I would never normally have tackled.

The most fun I've had in the last month was learning Happy by Pharrell Williams, and learning it properly so that I could absolutely nail it.

The band loved my performance at the audition for "first-choice dep bass player". So much so that they decided they needed a better full-time bass player. But because I play in other bands they also decided not to offer the role to me ...

Bwahahahaha!!! Bands, don't you just love 'em?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Agreed. Don't know about you but I genuinely enjoy learning new material, especially stuff I would never normally have tackled.

The most fun I've had in the last month was learning Happy by Pharrell Williams, and learning it properly so that I could absolutely nail it.

The band loved my performance at the audition for "first-choice dep bass player". So much so that they decided they needed a better full-time bass player. But because I play in other bands they also decided not to offer the role to me ...

Bwahahahaha!!! Bands, don't you just love 'em?

Absolutely, I love learning new songs. I'm just conscious of the fact that I've got one or two other demands on my time over the next two weeks, and so I'll need to be fairly well-organised to fit everything in.

Some bands can have a bit of a problem with "exclusivity" and to an extent I can see their point. I think it probably comes from being stung too many times by people who spread themselves too thinly and end up doing a shoddy job, or being difficult to schedule around. Not suggesting that you fall into this category, HJ, but I can see why some BLs might choose to consider it a red flag.

S.P.

3 is plenty.

When auditioning members , at the time , we sent them a list of tracks but just asked them to pick 3 and get stuck in.  You can easily determine whether you want them or not.

There's absolutely no need to ask an auditonee to learn 11 songs just to see if they can play and fit in the band. Thats just nuts, a huge overkill and  just wastes everyone's time.

Especially if you have a few people to audition

Edited by fleabag

Are you sure you've understood this correctly - I mean, learning  all 11 songs?

Maybe you should check that they didn't just want you to pick some from the list.

Or, it could be they want you to learn all 11 to see how quickly you can pick up new songs, but only actually try you out on 3 or 4 of their choosing.

Mind you, I've done auditions where the band have deliberately not sent me a list beforehand and just thrown stuff at me to see how quickly I can get up to speed.

48 minutes ago, fleabag said:

3 is plenty.

When auditioning members , at the time , we sent them a list of tracks but just asked them to pick 3 and get stuck in.  You can easily determine whether you want them or not.

There's absolutely no need to ask an auditonee to learn 11 songs just to see if they can play and fit in the band. Thats just nuts, a huge overkill and  just wastes everyone's time.

Especially if you have a few people to audition

This - I agree 3-5 is plenty and getting every audtionee (sp?) to play 11 songs is going to mean each audition takes  90mins or more. Frankly, they should know after 2 songs whether a) you can play b) you can learn and c) your gear is good and d) you are a cool cat. But, yeah if they want you to learn 11 songs and you want the gig - get busy. But take charts! 

I'd learn the songs. Knowing new songs is always a good thing. Showing that you are keen is a good thing. Telling them they are wrong before the audition is a bad thing.

Most people would understand that you don't need more than 3 songs to see if someone can play and know if they are right for the band. This would be a warning sign for me and put a few question marks in my mind about the band.

You say there's a band leader. Most of the band leaders I know are doing what they do because they want to, like it that way and it works for them. Some ask for ideas and comments but most don't. None of the guys I know would give a gig to someone who started off picking holes and telling them what they are doing is wrong.

This sounds like the band is either

a - wanting someone who can drop in to a well filled diary very quickly and get up to speed on a big repetoire with minimum fuss, or

b - borderline morons who when you get to the audition don't actually all know how to play all the songs on the list themselves

I auditioned for a covers band a couple of years ago who were in the latter category, and it turned out at the audition that the list of songs they sent me to learn was more akin to a wishlist of songs they aspired to being able to play at some indeterminate point in the future - as I worked my way through the list and charts I had written out, the singer and guitarist were frantically searching tab and lyric sites on their smartphones for the majority of the songs :facepalm:

• Sad 1

Are they a pub band or a function band? Can you see from their website / Facebook whether they're booked up with gigs in the near future? If they are a function band or really busy then it's possibly a bit more understandable that they need someone who can cope with learning lots of stuff quickly. If they're a pub band and don't have many gigs booked then they're just being daft.

It could be that they've done their homework on you and think you're a good fit and this is making sure.  I've auditioned band members before who have turned up and done three songs but when its come to learning a whole set they've not come up to scratch.  It shows that at least you are serious about them. 

40 minutes ago, 12stringbassist said:

Ask how long your audition slot will be and then, when they have answered, say you will learn the first x songs to fill that time.

You serious?

I'd say forget it to anyone who started laying down conditions before the audition!

In answer to various questions - they have gigs on the books (generally in pubs) and yes they are looking for someone who can learn a lot in a short space of time. They are definitely not borderline morons - I've seen their videos on Facebook, and the quality is damn good. I've also played with the drummer in a previous band and I know that he knows his onions.

S.P.

I've usually done 3-5 songs for an audition. I've also been sent a large list and asked to pick 3-5 from that list. Is that maybe what they are expecting from you ?

To ask someone to learn 11 songs for an audition where they might not get the job is asking too much.

I've done auditions where i had 3 songs to learn, got the job and was then asked to learn 34 songs in 3 weeks without rehearsals. That was hard going. Did the gigs and then asked to learn another 20 songs in 10 days and decided enough was enough and said i just wasn't able to keep that kind of learning pace going and had to part ways. Still on good terms with them and they have asked me to dep a few times.

I think maybe you should check with them about number of songs for the audition itself.

Dave