Why become a member? ×

Which bass players play in the upper register like Peter Hook?

shoulderpet

Hi All
Wondering which bass players play in the upper register like Peter Hook.
Have been learning What do you want from me by Monaco which has a fantastic upper register bassline by Peter Hook and it occurred to me that melodically the upper register opens up a lot of possibilities, after finding out if there are other players that are similar to hooky in there upper register work , thanks

I am not familiar with Peter Hook, but Phil Lesh of the Grateful Dead is known for his upper registry bass work - I play in a GD tribute band and, for example, 'Fire on the Mountain' can last for 15 mins without the bass going below the 16th and 14th frets on the G string, except for a passing F# on the 11th fret.

11 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

High-register playing is def not for me, but I do love that song by Monaco, which imo is made by Hookys bass-line.

When I hum the chorus of that song, I find that it gradually turns into "When You're Gone" by Bryan Adams and Mel C.

So there's that.

S.P.

• Like 1

Me!

The guitarist from one of my bands recently decided to leave and we decided not to replace him, so I've been using a Bass VI. I share the bottom end duties with the synth player, so when I'm playing in the upper register he's holding down the bass, and when I'm doing a more conventional bass line he's playing the melody.

Works very well, and it gives plenty of sonic space for our fantastic singer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Me!

The guitarist from one of my bands recently decided to leave and we decided not to replace him, so I've been using a Bass VI. I share the bottom end duties with the synth player, so when I'm playing in the upper register he's holding down the bass, and when I'm doing a more conventional bass line he's playing the melody.

That sounds cool

2 hours ago, FinnDave said:

I am not familiar with Peter Hook, but Phil Lesh of the Grateful Dead is known for his upper registry bass work - I play in a GD tribute band and, for example, 'Fire on the Mountain' can last for 15 mins without the bass going below the 16th and 14th frets on the G string, except for a passing F# on the 11th fret.

Thanks I will give them a listen

If you are not familiar with Peter hook the below...

Monaco -what do you want from me

Joy division - Love will tear us apart

New order - Sunrise

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Me!

Sounds fun

Me as well, most of the Yodaclub songs involve me playing up at the dusty end, we have keyboards who are quite happy to step in and supply the low end whilst I get all high and melodic, in quite a few of our songs the lead riff is taken by me on bass whilst the guitar fills in underneath.....that said, Peter Hook is probably the biggest influence on my bass playing and New Order / Joy Division are a big influence to the rest of the members of Yodaclub.

4 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Me!

You're getting a lot of appreciation on this thread for this - understandably so (and I'm also following your Bass VI thread with interest).

Any uploaded clips of how it all sounds with your band that you're able to share?

I do, all the time. I easily spend more time there than down low. Wasn’t a conscious decision, just ended up liking that area more as time went on, maybe because it’s more comfortable. Also I have to take solos and doing that in the lower register is super hard. I’m always impressed by players who can take speedy solos down there.

33 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

You're getting a lot of appreciation on this thread for this - understandably so (and I'm also following your Bass VI thread with interest).

Any uploaded clips of how it all sounds with your band that you're able to share?

Unfortunately not yet. We're 3 rehearsals in to our new guitar-less format and have 4 songs partially rearranged to suit the new line-up and 2 new songs about 3/4 finished. 

However we will be going into the studio as soon as we feel we are ready.

36 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Unfortunately not yet. We're 3 rehearsals in to our new guitar-less format and have 4 songs partially rearranged to suit the new line-up and 2 new songs about 3/4 finished. 

However we will be going into the studio as soon as we feel we are ready.

Cool, well I'm looking forward to the outcome. 

5 hours ago, bartelby said:

In a completely different style Alex in Ned's Atomic Dustbin spends the majority of the time up the squeaky end of the neck.

When I saw them they had a second bass player handling the low end stuff. 

Admittedly that was in 1990 😉

12 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

When I saw them they had a second bass player handling the low end stuff. 

Admittedly that was in 1990 😉

4 hours ago, paul_5 said:

Yeah, Ned's always ever had 2 bass players. How cool is that?!

Yeah. They still do. I saw them 3 times in April, this year, with The Wonder Stuff.

I do a lot. Probably came from when I was learning and I had a look at songs like "give it away" by RHCP and the nice double-stop bit in Californication. On my first band I wasn't very competent but it was three piece with licence to elaborate so I started off with slides down from the dusty end and up on to the dusty end, and it cuts through nicely. I now play up there for fills, sometimes when I can't be bothered to swap basses for the song "little miss can't be wrong" by the spin doctors I'll play the low note, whizz up the top end, back to the bottom... It's a sweaty job for the whole song but worth it. I also play a little higher register melody under the intro a Richie Havens type version of Back to my Roots. I like the upper register.

Edited by uk_lefty