Why become a member? ×

Which way round for machine heads...

anzoid

I recently picked up a black Hudson PB5 (kinda Cort Curbow style thing) and it's crying out for a bit of an "all black" stealth look. I've managed to find the exact same bridge in black and now I'm trying to work out what to do about machine heads.

It's 3 + 2 but I don't know whether I should be getting 3L+2R or 2L+3R.

So, can someone tell me, based on the attached pictures, what I should be going for? 

Thank you!

And are those £10 sets of machine heads off eBay any good, or should I put on some Gotoh 707s?

bass_back.jpg

bass_front.jpg

Thank you!

This is what had got me confused: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2L3R-Black-String-Tuning-Pegs-Tuner-Machine-Head-for-5-String-Bass-Accessory/282820547793 :D

3R+2L that's the same way round as the Schaller set (and the ones on the Hudson). But I've read (somewhere...) that you just look at the front of the headstock - count the ones on the left, count the ones on the right and that's what you order. Maybe I should stick to 4-string...

I have never bought a £10 set but at £2 a time I can’t imagine they could be much good. I have sets of Hipshots and grovers on some of my Basses and they are much nicer in feel than the ‘budget’ ones on other Basses I have. They also stay in tune much better in my limited experience.

Edited by T-Bay

bartelby - I ended up emailing the vendor of the Gotohs I'm interested in he said that 3L+2R was correct - so the eBay one looks like it's wrong.

T-Bay - think I'll probably go for the Gotohs, the ones currently on the Hudson are... OK, not great on tuning stability for an otherwise very nice bass, and considering the price I got for, putting £50 into it for tuners isn't so bad. I put Gotohs on a Bass Collection SB100 a while back and was very pleased with the result... so probably worth the investment.

• Like 2

Just look at the the tuners from the back of the headstock. When the tunning peg (pointing upwards) is offset to the left of the axl it's a L, when it's offset to the right its a R. Not sure if this is the proper reference but its how i distiguish them.