Why become a member? ×

Playing the guitar at work.

prowla

Well, a couple of the folks at work got of a stressful phone call (due to an issue not of our doing).

A colleague keeps a guitar in the office, so I wandered over, tuned it to DADGAD and started playing Kashmir.

One of the people said oh yes, it reminded him of Godzilla and the other started singing along and doing the drumming.

De-stressed, nice!!!

33 minutes ago, SH73 said:

I don't even get chance to eat. Can't believe people get paid for playing with nerf guns.

Sounds like they need to employ some more folks there. You need a break during the day. It's, like, the law, or something!

• Like 1

Oh yes. I work in a large university Computer Science department and at least six of us have instruments in our offices - I can think of three guitars and two keyboards, there may well be others. I have the only bass afaIk.

I bought a cheap old Encore P to keep in the office just so I could noodle around a bit during lunch breaks, or after working hours waiting for the rush hour to calm down before going home. Turned out a few peeps I've known for many years were getting together after work on occasional Fridays for a jam best described as drinking session with a music problem 🙂 That was actually the first time I'd played with anyone else, and I still love those crazy evenings.

And my students think I'm cool 🙂

• Like 2

The last couple of years before retiring I squeezed a double pedal under my desk, with a bass drum trigger pad. I would spend the working day doing stuff (in fact, very little, being the IT Boss, so delegating what little needed doing, as all had already been done...), whilst pedalling away with rudiments, basically much like snare exercises. It lasted for over a year before the Director asked me, politely, to desist, as he felt it gave the wrong signals to some of the staff. I was getting quite good at double paradiddles, flams and the like, but complied for the sake of peace. It's a pity that the relative expertise developed in this way has not, as yet, evolved into a workable addition to my playing with the full kit. Occasional 'blast beats' (the climatic ending to RATM's Killing In The Name Of', for instance, and some moderate success adding triplet 'patters' to Buckley's 'Grace'), but not really at ease for much else. Old dog, new tricks, I suppose... :$

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

At work there’s 3 acoustics, acoustic bass, an electric, a trumpet, a keyboard, Marshall half stack and hartke bass rig- plus I get to play whatever music I like loudly at whoever’s in the room. But I’m a music teacher, perk of the job. 

• Like 2

Same. I work in an open office, even all the meeting rooms have glass walls so there’s no real privacy anywhere. I’d really like to keep a bass somewhere and disappear into a meeting room for a bit, however it just wouldn’t work. I can see that scene from the office every time I think about it. “Get the guitar” etc.

Cuh! I dunno.

Musical instruments, toys and you hear of Bring Your Pet to Work Day too.  I can't take any of that seriously, sorry.

If you are at work behave accordingly.  When you are at home switch off the work's 'phone.  It isn't complicated.  I have never allowed the one to encroach on the other.  I have never accepted a job that requires me to answer the 'phone after hours.

Responses along the lines of it's the way forward or think outside of the box will be met with a swift custard tart to the face.

I mean... when home life stresses you out, do you wish then that you had brought your work home with you?  That's probably not the best example to support my stance but it'll do.

3 hours ago, prowla said:

It turns out that the friendly face and "do your thing" approach is a facade; I had a bit of a frank meeting on Friday and am now wondering if going there was a mistake.

That sounds ominous.

What sort of work is it?

I've always suspected that all the slides and ping pong and table football and such at whizzy tech companies like Google are actually a trap.

Anyone who gets caught playing with any of that stuff in work time gets instantly sacked for gross misconduct.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Cuh! I dunno.

Musical instruments, toys and you hear of Bring Your Pet to Work Day too.  I can't take any of that seriously, sorry.

If you are at work behave accordingly.  When you are at home switch off the work's 'phone.  It isn't complicated.  I have never allowed the one to encroach on the other.  I have never accepted a job that requires me to answer the 'phone after hours.

Responses along the lines of it's the way forward or think outside of the box will be met with a swift custard tart to the face.

I mean... when home life stresses you out, do you wish then that you had brought your work home with you?  That's probably not the best example to support my stance but it'll do.

Lunchtime is your time (or should be) so why not play a bit of bass? Or have a band meeting? Beats talking about deadenders.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T-Bay said:

Lunchtime is your time (or should be) so why not play a bit of bass? Or have a band meeting? Beats talking about deadenders.

Why not indeed.

If you get the sort of lunch break where you can.  If you have a big locker or secure car park where you can leave your bass during the rest of the time.  If you know your colleagues well enough and you can trust them.  If you are not in a massive corporate workspace.  Sure, no problem.

Knowing you in so far as I do, I'd say that yours is the sort of job that lends itself to the idea better than most.

I worked at a warehouse in Dove Valley where my employer had leased the mezzanine floor from Hayes as was.  Because we were out in the sticks we got an hour lunch to allow for those who hadn't prepared and who had to go out for food.  I'd have loved the idea of practice because an hour's lunch break was beyond boring and part way into tortuous.  I'd sooner have a half hour break and go home a half hour sooner.  That was not an option.

There is no way I'd have kept a bass there during the daylight hours, let alone overnight!  Many of the employees were familiar with Community Service and some with custodial sentences.

1 hour ago, SpondonBassed said:

Why not indeed.

If you get the sort of lunch break where you can.  If you have a big locker or secure car park where you can leave your bass during the rest of the time.  If you know your colleagues well enough and you can trust them.  If you are not in a massive corporate workspace.  Sure, no problem.

Knowing you in so far as I do, I'd say that yours is the sort of job that lends itself to the idea better than most.

I worked at a warehouse in Dove Valley where my employer had leased the mezzanine floor from Hayes as was.  Because we were out in the sticks we got an hour lunch to allow for those who hadn't prepared and who had to go out for food.  I'd have loved the idea of practice because an hour's lunch break was beyond boring and part way into tortuous.  I'd sooner have a half hour break and go home a half hour sooner.  That was not an option.

There is no way I'd have kept a bass there during the daylight hours, let alone overnight!  Many of the employees were familiar with Community Service and some with custodial sentences.

My Horner travel bass would fit in a normal upright locker, would have been ideal for your needs by the sound of it.

8 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Cuh! I dunno.

Jeez, you really nailed the member profile description didn't you?