Why become a member? ×

Alternatives to the Squier Bass VI

BigRedX

28 minutes ago, Dosi Y'Anarchy said:

Saw these on ebay and reverb, andertons actually have them cheaper! 

I'm very tempted

Looks as though the people that own Andertons now also own Burns Guitars, so they probably can offer a cheaper price than the competition.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Low End Bee said:

Who knows if it's going to be any good? Didn't see any launch info anywhere. 

I couldn't resist. Even with that Bass VI bridge that looks all wrong.

Got one of these coming on Friday. https://www.andertons.co.uk/burns-short-scale-jazz-six-bass-shadows-white-ssj-b6-sw

119689523_397330-SSJ-B6-SW(3).thumb.jpeg.52c2477892e5fb9dd30f486c79d647b7.jpeg

I really like that!

On 08/07/2020 at 14:26, BigRedX said:

If the measurements work out OK (I'm hoping for Burns Barracuda width at the nut and Squier Bass VI at the bridge) than I may well go for a red/black burst one.

OK. Nut 43mm and centre of low E to high E 35mm. Bridge centre of E to E 52mm. 9lb 8oz on the scales

First impressions are very good. Nicely finished and set up. No sharp fret ends. The pickups sound pleasing if slightly middy. All 5 switch positions are very useable. The only small issue is on the headstock. The logo is a bit smudged and the truss rod adjustment cavity has a little black residue, from a dirty hex key I guess. 

It's a lot of fun to play. I'm enjoying abusing it with my basic lead lines and the odd chord foray. Great value for money.

IMG_1422.jpeg

• Like 5

Thanks for doing that. Measurements are too similar to the Burns Barracuda to be worth it for me. 

Do either the volume or tone control pull up? On the Barracuda this switches on the neck pickup irrespective of the pickup selector switch position to give extra tonal possibilities.

25 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Thanks for doing that. Measurements are too similar to the Burns Barracuda to be worth it for me. 

Do either the volume or tone control pull up? On the Barracuda this switches on the neck pickup irrespective of the pickup selector switch position to give extra tonal possibilities.

No. It’s straight stat style switching. More than enough for me. I’m used to just having just the one pickup on my other basses.

Thanks SO much for sharing the info about burns, i've been after a bass 6 of some sort for a while so following this thread and other sources, but I've also got a strat project and they do trisonic AND rezomatic pickups- something i'll more than likely be using, so I really appreciate you sharing folks 😀

I wonder why there hasn't been much advertising about bringing the brand back? Either way, i'll be dipping my toe with at least a set of guitar pickups, and maybe a bass 6 if folks say they're good value- i do like quirk! 😎 TBH the marquee bass looks pretty goddamn rad also.

Back on topic- i'm enjoying reading about the OP's journey, I hope you find a great solution soon 👍 time to crawl back under my rock 🤗 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/07/2020 at 19:06, Dan_Q said:

Thanks SO much for sharing the info about burns, i've been after a bass 6 of some sort for a while so following this thread and other sources, but I've also got a strat project and they do trisonic AND rezomatic pickups- something i'll more than likely be using, so I really appreciate you sharing folks 😀

I wonder why there hasn't been much advertising about bringing the brand back? Either way, i'll be dipping my toe with at least a set of guitar pickups, and maybe a bass 6 if folks say they're good value- i do like quirk! 😎 TBH the marquee bass looks pretty goddamn rad also.

Back on topic- i'm enjoying reading about the OP's journey, I hope you find a great solution soon 👍 time to crawl back under my rock 🤗 

It's not so much a return of the Burns brand as a shift of ownership of the current incarnation (Burns London which has been going since 1992) from Barry Gibson to Andertons. I suspect that the new owners would like the public perception of the brand to be as though nothing has changed.

In other news there is a good chance that I'll have the Eastwood version of the Shergold Bass VI some time next week. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sad to say after getting a promotional email from Eastwood Guitars saying that:

Bassists worldwide are already enjoying their new Eastwood Hooky Bass 6 PRO

and subsequently enquiring why I haven't had mine yet, I have had a reply from the UK part of Eastwood Guitars saying that they are not expecting the UK shipment to arrive until 23rd August, so I'm probably still 2 weeks away from receiving mine :-(((

• 4 weeks later...

My Eastwood Hooky Bass 6 Pro arrived today. First impressions are very good. 

Nut width 50mm with 41.5mm between the centres of the two E strings (slightly wider than original specified) and 65 mm at the bridge. I've just tied playing through the songs that I most often get wrong because of the closer string spacing of my other two Bass VIs and was able to play them fist time without tripping over the wrong strings. Hangs well on the strap too.

I haven't been able to try it plugged in yet as my FRFR is at the rehearsal room and I've managed to break my current pair of headphones again.

I ordered mine with the Eastwood gig bag which is very nice: semi-rigid and padded, not quite as good as the Mono M80, but then only about half the price. 

Looks as though the Squier will be up for sale shortly as it's unlikely to get any playing time now I've got this and the Burns, even though I used it in the video for the new Hurtsfall single "Revelator" which is out tomorrow (11th September) as I thought the white colour looked better than the pinky-red of the Burns in B&W.

Full review when I have had more time to play and take some decent photographs.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Been reading this topic after finding it on Google and found it very helpful so thanks all! 

I recently tried an older Squire Bass VI in Canterbury (without the control plate) and loved it, after pining for a Bass VI for a while it has cemented my decision to get one. But now reading about the alternatives on here my decision is being made a little harder..

@Low End Bee how are you finding your Burns London Bass VI? They're going for a pretty good price on Andertons but without being able to get down to try one any time soon any opinions you have would be great!

@James Nada do you have any more thoughts on the Harley Benton? That price is amazing and I have heard good things about the build quality relative to the price but haven't spoken to anyone that has had the Bass VI for any real length of time. 

@BigRedX Have you had a chance to compare the "old" and "new" squire Bass VI's? The one I tried felt good, but I don't know if it was the tighter string spacing as you mentioned or the newer one with more space. The one I tried was a full pick guard and didn't have a metal control plate compared to the ones I see for sale online now so I am assuming it is an older, tighter spaced one. 

@Dosi Y'Anarchy How are you finding using the Gretsch as a Bass VI? I've been looking at the Gretsch or the Danelectro baritones and "converting" them by buying heavier gauge strings but again, haven't spoken to anyone that has done this over a serious length of time. 

Thanks everyone for the great insight and for any tips you can give me! 

3 minutes ago, Natexxo said:

@Dosi Y'Anarchy How are you finding using the Gretsch as a Bass VI? 

I ended up selling the Gretsch as I prefer the Squier, although I think i just prefer the look and the single coil sound. The Gretsch actually did a great job, was comfortable to play and sounded good to me. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Natexxo said:

Been reading this topic after finding it on Google and found it very helpful so thanks all! 

I recently tried an older Squire Bass VI in Canterbury (without the control plate) and loved it, after pining for a Bass VI for a while it has cemented my decision to get one. But now reading about the alternatives on here my decision is being made a little harder..

@Low End Bee how are you finding your Burns London Bass VI? They're going for a pretty good price on Andertons but without being able to get down to try one any time soon any opinions you have would be great!

@James Nada do you have any more thoughts on the Harley Benton? That price is amazing and I have heard good things about the build quality relative to the price but haven't spoken to anyone that has had the Bass VI for any real length of time. 

@BigRedX Have you had a chance to compare the "old" and "new" squire Bass VI's? The one I tried felt good, but I don't know if it was the tighter string spacing as you mentioned or the newer one with more space. The one I tried was a full pick guard and didn't have a metal control plate compared to the ones I see for sale online now so I am assuming it is an older, tighter spaced one. 

@Dosi Y'Anarchy How are you finding using the Gretsch as a Bass VI? I've been looking at the Gretsch or the Danelectro baritones and "converting" them by buying heavier gauge strings but again, haven't spoken to anyone that has done this over a serious length of time. 

Thanks everyone for the great insight and for any tips you can give me! 

Also, don’t discount the Revelation bass vi. They’re stupidly good for the price they can be picked up for (got mine used for about £220 from memory) and are a very capable starting place.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mr4stringz said:

Also, don’t discount the Revelation bass vi. They’re stupidly good for the price they can be picked up for (got mine used for about £220 from memory) and are a very capable starting place.

Damn, that is one good looking instrument! I'll definitely take that in to consideration! Thanks! 

• Like 1

@Natexxo I recently had the chance to play the Harley Benton side by side with a Squire VI, both strung with LaBella Flatwounds.  IMO ...

...Build quality, and playability are equal.

The Squire sounds sounds better, not necessarily more or less low end, mid or treb, just a more pleasant, more vintage sound.  Apologies if that's useless, I really struggle to describe sound.  It's worth noting the comparison was made through a guitar amp (Fender Reverb) and I was in a "VI as a lead instrument" mindset.  As a "bass" instrument through a bass amp the HB does a decent job.

More on the LaBellas, these strings really bring the HB and Squire to life, if that 60s tone is what you're after.  However, the LaBellas are not a good fit for the HB, due to the shorter string length requirement due to the lack of vibrato system.  

• Like 1

On 19/09/2020 at 21:09, Natexxo said:

I haven't bothered with the "new" version of the Squier Bass VI because from what I have discovered by trying the Revelation and owning the Burns Barracuda, the slight increase in nut width (if that's actually right) won't be enough for me. Also the Burns sounds (for what I need) are much better than the Squier.

I've now had the Eastwood for just over a week and although I've not had the time to play it as much as would have liked, and not at all amplified, from a string spacing PoV this is the bass VI for me. The strings are far enough apart for me to not be tripping over them when I change strings and picking style (which is what was happening with the Squier and to a lesser extent the Burns) but the neck is not so stupidly wide as a 6-string bass. IMO It's been designed with bass players rather than guitarists in mind, and is a workable compromise between the tight guitar spacing of the most bass VIs and the full bass guitar spacing of your typical 6-string bass.

Of course what feels comfortable will very much what you are used to with your other basses and guitars (id applicable) and what sort of music you intend to play on it. I'm very much in the Post-Punk/Goth camp for my usage - think Joy Division and The Cure - rather than 60s style with flat-wound strings where maybe the Squier would be more suitable.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For posterity I've come to say that I took delivery of my Burns Short Scale Jazz Six Bass today from Andertons. Credit to them for having what feel like fresh new strings on it and giving it a decent set up out of the gate. Going to get a friend of mine to give it a once over once lockdown restrictions are eased up here but for now, it feels and sounds very good! Probably on par if not slightly better than the Squire Bass VI that I had tried, with the pickups feeling a little more responsive to technique and the variety of tones being slightly more diverse and useful. Will post back once I have had some more time with it but a big thanks to everyone in this thread for the words of advice and wisdom! 

Photo 01-10-2020, 10 59 45.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting.

And weird. 30" scale normally means A-A Baritone tuning but the specs say B-B, although the mentioned string gauges are at the lighter end of Baritone strings so the feel might be OK. Unfortunately the suggested Bass VI strings are the ones which most players get rid of straight away because the E and A are far too light and floppy when tuned E-E. 

However the important information for my PoV - string spacing at the nut and the bridge are not given, and based on the fact that this appears to be primarily designed as a Baritone guitar and the bridge looks like a standard Strat vibrato unit means it will be guitar spacing, which is too narrow for me. I do have a friend involved with the Aria UK importers so I'll ask him if there is any further info he can find out, which I will share here.

However from a playing PoV the Eastwood is the right Bass VI for me. I still haven't been able to try mine out amplified so I can't comment on the sound yet. I'm still interested in the alternatives as the Eastwood is by far the most expensive off-the-shelf option I've come across.

Edit: for anyone interested the page it's on is here.

Edited by BigRedX

IME as soon as you drop below B-B tuning, guitar style parts become muddy and indistinct - especially chords, unless you play high up the neck, in which case you might as well use a standard guitar.

My HB Baritone (28" scale tuned B-B) was used by The Terrortones guitarist on a couple of tracks on our album, one with it capo'd up to standard E-E guitar tuning. Personally I thought it made the sound overly bright and thin compared with playing the same part on his guitar, but he liked the effect so I didn't argue.

If I wasn't so set on not having multiple guitars on stage I'd probably use a Baritone on some of Hurtsfall's songs, but as it is I make do with the Bass VI.

And BTW I don't mind the headstock - it's a typical Aria one. It's certainly nicer IMO than the large 70s style Strat one on the Squier Bass VI.

Edited by BigRedX

• 1 year later...

Prompted to resurrect this thread having just seen this post from Dosi:

Here's my Bass VI and board from the other day when I had a gig.

image.png.2b1a8b4961d8c42868be52fb60760de2.png

If you've got any clips from your gig @Dosi Y'Anarchy - love to hear them! And anyone else able to share clips of their Bass VIs being played live would be great to hear.

Edited by Al Krow

Here's a link to a gig we did at the start of March that was recorded by the promoter, one of my other VI's but the same board

https://www.facebook.com/events/1122952138439365/permalink/1123747411693171/

We're on at around 36:33

It was a bit of an odd gig... We were told it was a live stream but it didn't come out for a month! Promoter then got pissy that no one tuned in for it when it eventually got released. 

I guess I could do a proper video about my current full board as the last one I did was ages ago:

• Like 1