Why become a member? ×

Alternatives to the Squier Bass VI

BigRedX

• 1 month later...

Well the delivery date of the Eastwood has been put back yet again. When I first looked it was down as March. Shortly after I put down my deposit, it had been moved back to May. Now it’s down for June delivery. I suspect with the current Covid-19 situation it will get put back at least one more time.

There is also an interesting interview with Peter Hook on the Eastwood Customs web site about how this new version compares with the original Shergold (extremely well) and which Joy Division and New Order songs feature the 6 string bass - a surprisingly large number of tracks on Closer. Well worth 30 minutes of your time even if we don’t get to hear either bass actually being played.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/01/2020 at 12:20, BigRedX said:

Looks fantastic! 

Considering what I will most likely end up paying for a Gus Bass VI that is relatively affordable. However the pickup positing is very "Baritone Guitar" rather than Bass VI, so I'd need to try one both from a string spacing and tone PoV. I've sent an email to Gretsch asking for the string spacing measurements at the nut and bridge and if they know of any UK Gretsch dealers that have one in stock so I could go and try it. If I get any information I'll post it here.

In other news I have just had a somewhat coy reply to the message I sent to Shergold. Reading between the lines, there are probably basses coming at some point, but it doesn't appear as though there are any plans yet for Marathon 6-String Bass. Given the difference in appearances between the 70s and current Masquerader guitars, it might be that even if they were to do one, the Eastwood version could well be closer to the original!

Did Gretsch ever get back to you? 

11 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Did Gretsch ever get back to you? 

No they didn't. I haven't chased it up because I've been sidetracked by the Eastwood version of the Shergold Bass VI, and because if they couldn't be bother to reply to me before, they are hardly likely to do it with the current situation.

I did spot that Gear 4 Music have one in stock. They give the nut width as 42.86mm which is relatively narrow. Also it comes with Fender/Squier Bass VI gauge strings which to me aims it more in the Baritone Guitar range rather than Bass VI.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, P-Belly Evans said:

This bass has been "Out Of Stock" pretty much forever.

It came up on another thread about Bass VIs about a year ago when the wait time was 6-8 weeks. I've been keeping an eye on it because the price is pretty good even if the string spacing is probably too tight for my liking, but AFAICS it's never actually been available to buy, during the last 12 months. Either it's not being made at the moment, or it has so many pre-orders that it is immediately out of stock again as soon as any become available.

4 hours ago, BigRedX said:

It came up on another thread about Bass VIs about a year ago when the wait time was 6-8 weeks. I've been keeping an eye on it because the price is pretty good even if the string spacing is probably too tight for my liking, but AFAICS it's never actually been available to buy, during the last 12 months. Either it's not being made at the moment, or it has so many pre-orders that it is immediately out of stock again as soon as any become available.

Didn't even think to check. I was gonna pull trigger on the active five string stingray copy........ gone from their website completely. Definitely something going on at Harley Benton/Thomann. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/06/2020 at 09:35, BigRedX said:

This bass is currently in stock. 

I ordered one last week and it arrived here this week. 
I'm seriously impressed with this instrument for its price (~£177).
The only tweak I've made is to switch the way too floppy .084 low E for a .100 actual bass string I had in my parts box.
I've not had to adjust anything other than intonating it- The truss rod, string height and nut are all just fine out of the box!

EDIT: I have had to file the nut slots a little

IMG_20200619_180055190.jpg

Edited by James Nada
Nut
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the update. 

Can I ask a favour? Could you supply the following measurements:

Width of the nut.

Distance from E to E at the nut

Distance from E to E at the bridge

Thanks!

BTW if you want a decent set of Bass VI strings have a look at the Axion Bass VI  set from Newtone.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, James Nada said:

This bass is currently in stock. 

I ordered one last week and it arrived here this week. 
I'm seriously impressed with this instrument for its price (~£177).
The only tweak I've made is to switch the way too floppy .084 low E for a .100 actual bass string I had in my parts box.
I've not had to adjust anything other than intonating it- The truss rod, string height and nut are all just fine out of the box!

EDIT: I have had to file the nut slots a little

IMG_20200619_180055190.jpg

Looks great. Any chance of some sound clips?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Thanks for the update. 

Can I ask a favour? Could you supply the following measurements:

Width of the nut.

Distance from E to E at the nut

Distance from E to E at the bridge

Thanks!

BTW if you want a decent set of Bass VI strings have a look at the Axion Bass VI  set from Newtone.

Sure.

Nut:42mm

E to E at nut (centre to centre): 34.5mm

E to E at bridge (centre to centre) 52mm

Thanks for the heads up on Newtone strings. 

I've found a Fender set 24-100 which I'll give a try:

https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/string-sets-c865/bass-guitar-c34/bass-vi-c819/fender-super-nps-250-bass-vi-strings-24-100-ball-end-p14790

Though I'd like some flats, but they ain't cheap

• Thanks 1

On 20/06/2020 at 10:14, James Nada said:

Sure.

Nut:42mm

E to E at nut (centre to centre): 34.5mm

E to E at bridge (centre to centre) 52mm

Thanks for the heads up on Newtone strings. 

I've found a Fender set 24-100 which I'll give a try:

https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/string-sets-c865/bass-guitar-c34/bass-vi-c819/fender-super-nps-250-bass-vi-strings-24-100-ball-end-p14790

Though I'd like some flats, but they ain't cheap

Thanks.

I won't be getting one of those as based on those measurements it has the closest string spacing at both the nut and bridge of all the Bass VIs I've come across.

Just have to wait it out for the Eastwood. Should be only a few more weeks...

If you want flat-wound strings apparently Picato do a set as well as LaBella. 

28 minutes ago, Dosi Y'Anarchy said:

My Gretsch Baritone Jet is currently living a second life as a bass VI with a set of Newtone strings on there.

That looks cool. What's the string spacing at the nut and bridge if you don't mind telling me?

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Low End Bee said:

Who knows if it's going to be any good? Didn't see any launch info anywhere. 

I couldn't resist. Even with that Bass VI bridge that looks all wrong.

Got one of these coming on Friday. https://www.andertons.co.uk/burns-short-scale-jazz-six-bass-shadows-white-ssj-b6-sw

One of those popped up on an eBay search the other day. Considerably cheaper than the Barracuda which it seems to have replaced.

Could you please measure the string spacing at the nut and the bridge for me when yours arrives. A single measurement from the centres of the two E strings in both locations will do, along with the width of the neck at the nut. I haven't been able to find this information on-line so far.

Thanks!

41 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

One of those popped up on an eBay search the other day. Considerably cheaper than the Barracuda which it seems to have replaced.

Could you please measure the string spacing at the nut and the bridge for me when yours arrives. A single measurement from the centres of the two E strings in both locations will do, along with the width of the neck at the nut. I haven't been able to find this information on-line so far.

Thanks!

Will do. Be interesting to see if this is any good.

Rolling the dice on this one as we’ve got a couple of new songs on the go that a Bass VI style sound could work on.