Why become a member? ×

Connecting my ABM500 head to an active sub?

Painy

I've been looking to move a bit more air from my amp at some of the venues we play that are a bit larger but don't have a PA suitable to DI into.

My Ashdown ABM 500rc Evo iii is already running at 4 ohms (2x Aguilar db112 cabs) so no option to add more speakers and I don't want to change my existing cabs. 

I'm thinking to add either a small but fairly loud combo like a TC Bg250 (in which case I'll probably connect via the tuner out on my Ashdown) or option two would be to add an active sub. 

The advantage of the sub option is that I could then cut the power draining lows a bit on the amp and let the sub do the hard work. I'm just not sure of the best way to connect it given that the sub would obviously have no preamp. 

In an ideal world I'd love to be able to control the level of the sub with the output volume on the head but I'm guessing that won't be an option unfortunately. Basically though I'm just not sure if the line out (or effects send which also work as a line out) would be suitable to connect directly into the power amp section of an active sub?

If anyone does have any idea though how I could control the level of both the amp and the sub from just the output control of the amp that would be amazing. 

If your amp has a line out, you should be able to get what you want by connecting the sub to that. However, depending on where in the signal path the line out is situated, you may find the input volume on the head, rather than the output volume, will control the level sent to the sub. I'd ask Ashdown's advice.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

You're going to come round to the idea of changing your cabs before the end...

They were a gift from my wife paid for from her inheritance from her grandfather so more than my life would be worth to get rid of them (they also sound lovely too fortunately). 

The line out will drive a sub, and as the sub should have its own volume control so long as the line out from your amp is post-volume control it will control both. However, for the sub to be worthwhile it would have to be at the very least a 115, if not a 118, with at least twice the power as your ABM.

9 minutes ago, Painy said:

They were a gift from my wife paid for from her inheritance from her grandfather so more than my life would be worth to get rid of them (they also sound lovely too fortunately). 

Understood. I'd buy something bigger for big gigs then. Keeps setup simple and there are bargains to be had these days. It's a buyers market.

2 hours ago, Painy said:

I could then cut the power draining lows a bit on the amp and let the sub do the hard work. I'm just not sure of the best way to connect it given that the sub would obviously have no preamp. 

I don't think you want to cut the lows using the ABM's eq, as this would affect the signal being sent to the sub.  Instead, connect the ABM effects send to the powered sub.  Then connect the powered sub's crossover output to the ABM effects return - this will mean the ABM/Aguilars are reproducing only those frequencies that the sub didn't already take care of.

Not sure how this setup would sound though.  Is there an option of getting a third Aguilar and an amp which can run at 2.7ohm?

1 hour ago, jrixn1 said:

I don't think you want to cut the lows using the ABM's eq, as this would affect the signal being sent to the sub.

A full crossover really isn't called for, as this isn't a sub/midbass arrangement as you have with PA. In order to make best use of it I'd set the sub low pass between 200 and 500Hz, whatever sounds best. There won't be any phase issues between the sub and the 112s with the sub only working that high, it's only above 800Hz or so where phase interactions between different drivers operating in the same pass band can cause more harm than good.

• Like 1

I dunno if you have the storage space or a big enough car, but it strikes me that the easiest answer is to pick up an 8x10" or similar. They're super cheap these days as everyone moves to lightweight.

Get your own PA ? I use 2 x EV active subs as part of mine for large venues  & everything can go through it , You don't want to be droning out the drums ,  I know JJB (stranglers ) for rehearsals uses 2 x ABM combos connected with a different eq on each . 

How's the DI out in your amp? Does it have the switch for mic/line? If you could send it in "line" and in "pre" then you could cut all the lows you want in the EQ without affecting the signal to the sub. There are a few amps in wich the "send" output is post-EQ so you would be cutting lows before sending to the sub. This is how i would be doing if i wanted a similar result from my Genz Benz head.
I don't know your amp so you should check these things first.

• Like 2

Well it looks as though I've just struck a deal on a TC Bg250 112 combo which I think might be a simpler option overall with a full range sound through each speaker and I can also use it on its own for practices too. 

I might still revisit the sub idea at some point in the not too distant future though.