Why become a member? ×

Image hosting sites

Ruck

I use imageshack. I tend to be on Basschat on my iPad or iPhone - there’s an app called “Phupp” which uploads and catalogs your photos to Imageshack, allowing you to copy the relevant links all from within the app.

Just now, Ruck said:

Nope its now charging. So any other imagine hosting sites out theres please?

Well the app seems to have circumvented the paid aspect of the service. I’ve had it for ages and not paid a penny! All my images are still working fine as far as I know!

2 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Well the app seems to have circumvented the paid aspect of the service. I’ve had it for ages and not paid a penny! All my images are still working fine as far as I know!

Apologises I was referring to Photobucket

I know a fair few people use Imgur now.

Side track rant, photobucket's actions are atrocious. For anyone not familiar, they ran a free image hosting service which over the years got progressively worse to use due to awful web page design and crippling amounts of adverts, but as millions of people had been using it for years and it's a ballache updating thousands of embedded image links across forums people stuck with it (including myself).

They then decided that they'd charge something like £500 a year to allow third party linking of images, so overnight the majority of pictures on forums were replaced with a "this poster is stingy and bad" default image and hyperlink to give photobucket half a grand. 

People thought it was a joke but photobucket doubled down, so many folks just binned the whole thing off and lost their hosted images.

6-odd months later they lowered the price to 50 quid, which frankly is still an insult but a moot point as the damage was done. I use various car forums and previously superb how-to guides and build threads are in tatters - completely unreadable now.

I vaguely remember something similar when GeoCities folded.

Edited by Luckystrike
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Luckystrike said:

Side track rant, photobucket's actions are atrocious. For anyone not familiar, they ran a free image hosting service which over the years got progressively worse to use due to awful web page design and crippling amounts of adverts, but as millions of people had been using it for years and it's a ballache updating thousands of embedded image links across forums people stuck with it (including myself).

They then decided that they'd charge something like £500 a year to allow third party linking of images, so overnight the majority of pictures on forums were replaced with a "this poster is stingy and bad" default image and hyperlink to give photobucket half a grand. 

People thought it was a joke but photobucket doubled down, so many folks just binned the whole thing off and lost their hosted images.

6-odd months later they lowered the price to 50 quid, which frankly is still an insult but a moot point as the damage was done. I use various car forums and previously superb how-to guides and build threads are in tatters - completely unreadable now.

That explains the shambles! Thanks for the info.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Luckystrike said:

Depending on how the image was embedded you can still see the pictures if you click the placeholder image. There are also browser plugins that will still display the image. So you can still read those old threads just about, but I agree their decision was baffling. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

That explains the shambles! Thanks for the info.

No worries :)

1 minute ago, ped said:

Depending on how the image was embedded you can still see the pictures if you click the placeholder image. There are also browser plugins that will still display the image. So you can still read those old threads just about, but I agree their decision was baffling. 

There are indeed now workarounds yes, but enough people have just closed their accounts for a critical mass of stuff to be fully gone rather than just unnecessarily awkward to access. I can't fathom what kind of echo chamber has to exist to make something like that seem like a good decision!

• Like 2

I use both Flickr and Imgur. The first for its nice album arrangement (but I have to edit the BBCode link, which is a pain...), the second for ease of linking, but has less good album stability. Imgur stores animated Gif files better, too...
Hope this helps.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Luckystrike said:

I use Imgur....no problems with it....I'm hoping that the Photobucket fiasco will mean that other hosting sites won't be so quick to dive in with the "give us yer money" ploy by trying to hold our pics to ransom.

• Like 1

On 06/06/2018 at 21:48, Luckystrike said:

The last time I clicked on a Photobucket link it took me off to some dodgy fake ad webpage that froze my phone until I’d managed to delete all trace of it from the browsing history. I haven’t and will not click a Photobucket link again. 

I use Flickr, I’ve been a pro subscriber since 2006

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul69/