Why become a member? ×

Stolen - Scott Devine’s Moollon P

Quatschmacher

Years ago I was in a band who rehearsed at Idle Cricket Club near Bradford ( we called ourselves 'Idle Hands') and after the rehearsal we'd go into the clubhouse for a drink before leaving. We were 10 minutes and in that time the guitarist's guitar, amp and fx were all stole out of his side window which was broken by a brick. Some time later he managed to get some of the gear back.

Consequently I never leave my gear in the car, in fact even when loading after a gig I put all my stuff in the car and go straight home. if I'm going to be chatting after the gig the gear stays within eyeshot  and then gets loaded in as I leave.

Sorry if this sounds sanctimonious but leaving gear in your unattended car is a calculated risk, especially if your face is well known.

• Like 1

Yeah never leave anything in a car, it’s a recipe for disaster. My girlfriend left a scruffy old bag in my car last summer, couple of hours later, window smashed, wallet gone, other contents scattered all over the local park. British towns are absolutely teeming with opportunistic smackheads, and supporting a £200 a day habit is no laughing matter. Anything that looks like it can be traded for heroin will get snapped up in no time.

• Like 1

When people leave a bag on their car seat saying "well there's nothing valuable in there anyway", the local smegheads won't know that until they've launched a brick through the window! 

Hope he gets it back. I'm in Leeds so will be scouring the local Crap Converters and similar - there's at least 4 that I could cover on my dinner break and I'm not even in the city centre.

5 hours ago, HazBeen said:

Fancy nicking a Moollon, rare in UK and with a highly recognisable headstock. If crap converters cannot see that sticking out like a sore thumb I don't know.....

That rather assumes they know what was in the bag - it may have been an opportunistic passing scrote that saw the gig bag.

The sad option may be they realise too late they will struggle to move it on, and damage it 😞

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cattytown said:

That rather assumes they know what was in the bag - it may have been an opportunistic passing scrote that saw the gig bag.

The sad option may be they realise too late they will struggle to move it on, and damage it 😞

Hopefully they will be oblivious and get nicked, but odds are it will get dumped at crack converters for £50and they will disappear or they will dump it like you suggest, hopefully the former as it least that way he will get it back.

16 hours ago, therealting said:

I definitely try to avoid leaving anything in my car, but it’s particularly difficult when gigging a distance from home and having to make motorway service stops!

Exactly, plus he’s a pro musician with kids, who knows what the circumstances are, dropping the kids off somewhere perhaps before going off to whatever session etc. I always leave putting the bass in the car to last but sometimes it just can’t be avoided. One thing I have done is made sure the car has black upholstery, and bought a seat cover/ bag to protect the interior from cases and lighting rigs etc. I can put the bass behind the front seats and cover it and from the outside it’s practically invisible. Wouldn’t stop the most determined thief but certainly helps.

2 hours ago, scalpy said:

Exactly, plus he’s a pro musician with kids, who knows what the circumstances are, dropping the kids off somewhere perhaps before going off to whatever session etc. I always leave putting the bass in the car to last but sometimes it just can’t be avoided. One thing I have done is made sure the car has black upholstery, and bought a seat cover/ bag to protect the interior from cases and lighting rigs etc. I can put the bass behind the front seats and cover it and from the outside it’s practically invisible. Wouldn’t stop the most determined thief but certainly helps.

I do the same. The problem with removing instruments whenever you stop somewhere is you’re alerting those around you to the fact that there might be other stuff in the car. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, therealting said:

I do the same. The problem with removing instruments whenever you stop somewhere is you’re alerting those around you to the fact that there might be other stuff in the car. 

Yup. Swings/roundabouts and a balancing act. Plus the risk of being mugged for the gear rather than the car window bricked 😞

• Like 1

13 hours ago, therealting said:

Same, and doubled up with a black blanket over. 

same here... from outside it just looks like there's nothing on the back seat. Sometimes I am forced to have something on the footwell of the back seat, and that's what I do. It's not fool proof but I hope that's enough to make the *&%$£$^ move on to the next car...

On 07/06/2018 at 21:13, T-Bay said:

Hopefully they will be oblivious and get nicked, but odds are it will get dumped at crack converters for £50and they will disappear [...]

Well, that’d be silly because Scott is offering £100 to whoever finds it 🙄

if you read this thread, take it back to Scott’s! 😉

5 minutes ago, floFC said:

Well, that’d be silly because Scott is offering £100 to whoever finds it 🙄

if you read this thread, take it back to Scott’s! 😉

Like a scumbag would do that, far too much effort and risk. I thought it would be found by now, so it’s either too hot and is tucked away or has already been dumped. I really hope it’s not the latter.