Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Mini-Acoustic - AVNB1E

BassApprentice

So Ibanez are dipping their toes in the mini acoustic bass water. I like the look of it and the video is ok (until the slapping, who does that on acoustic?)

Retail at $499

What do we think? Useful or have Kala already got this market sewn up?

More info here: http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2018/06/05/ibanez-introduces-compact-acoustic-electric-basses/

Edited by BassApprentice
Edit YouTube link

24 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

I like it. Looks to be a cheaper alternative to the Taylor mini?

Agree, and the strings look a bit better than the Taylor Mini ones.

10 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I like the idea. I've got a Uke bass but the rubbery strings are a bit crap, especially when I sweat.

I'd like to try one. £400 is a bit steep for a travel bass though so it would have to be very good.

I've also got a Uke bass (Harley Benton) and the strings are fun for a noodle but couldn't see myself playing for hours on end. Having a wee bass that I can pick up at anytime with no amp is appealing.

• Like 1

The Taylor mini is great to play but far too expensive. I’ve seen the Guild version but haven't played one but it looks very similar.

Im sure Ibanez have priced it to compete so let’s hope the quality is good.

I have a mini Alvarez travel bass which is def fun to play while watching tv and I like to play my fretless Kala U bass for latin-american style music as it has quite a close upright tone but unlike an upright I can store it away under the bed, hehe 😎

Edited by sblueplanet
Error

• 1 month later...

I'm into it. I'm really envious of Davie504's min acoustic http://www.anuenue-uke.com/en/products/one/93/251 and I'm thinking of buying a cheap acoustic guitar and turning it into a bass.

The thing I don't understand about this Ibanez is the lack of cutaway. Or at least, why bother adding frets past the thirteenth? Anyway, they did a nice job recording and EQing it ;)

On 12/06/2018 at 10:58, Bigwan said:

In my experience, my deko Harley Benton Uke beats the crap out of my Kala, so Kala certainly don't have this corner of the market sewn up!

How is it better? My Kala Rumbler has be awesome and I've done about 20 gigs with it so far but I'm open to better products if available.

My Kala as it came from the factory had an issue with the pickup not picking up the E string. The piezo pickup is glued (actually looks like black epoxy) to the bottom of the saddle instead of lying on the bottom of the saddle channel. Kala's "fix" was to loosen the strings and tilt the bridge saddle towards the tail of the bass, which made the already shitty intonation even shittier. To actually play this thing anywhere near in tune I've had to experiment with changing strings - 4th set were best, the ones that came off the HB Uke. 

Other than sharp fret ends (it's an HB Deko after all) the HB was perfect out of the box. Adding Pyramid tape wounds was the icing on the cake. 

• Thanks 1