Why become a member? ×

Unable to buy

Kevin Dean

Sort of reminds me of when I had to collect a parcel from the local PO sorting office. Missed the driver so went to collect with best ID I had at the time. Current utility bill and my expired passport.

They would not accept my ID as they needed valid photographic evidence. An idiot could see that my old passport was me. They asked for my driving licence but it was an old one with no photo. After a good few minutes of banter that was getting a bit heated, they said they could accept a credit card? I pointed out that there was no photo on a credit card but they said they could still accept that? I told them I didn't have a credit card and so we went back to the heated banter. Eventually I said, "Why don't you just say that there is no way I can have my parcel. My property". He paused and then said, "We could redeliver it to your address tomorrow". :dash1::facepalm:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Unfortunately  staff just follow the company's policies. It's an derrière covering exercise. It's OK for them to be overzealous when not accepting id such as utility bill and expired passport. But it's also acceptable to leave a post/parcel outside ( in the rain) the house then mark up tracking: Your parcel has been delivered and handed over to recipient'.

Edited by SH73
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, itsmedunc said:

Sort of reminds me of when I had to collect a parcel from the local PO sorting office. Missed the driver so went to collect with best ID I had at the time. Current utility bill and my expired passport.

They would not accept my ID as they needed valid photographic evidence. An idiot could see that my old passport was me. They asked for my driving licence but it was an old one with no photo. After a good few minutes of banter that was getting a bit heated, they said they could accept a credit card? I pointed out that there was no photo on a credit card but they said they could still accept that? I told them I didn't have a credit card and so we went back to the heated banter. Eventually I said, "Why don't you just say that there is no way I can have my parcel. My property". He paused and then said, "We could redeliver it to your address tomorrow". :dash1::facepalm:

I had similar recently but got a message to say they had attempted delivery but they had not left a card (still think they had ticked a box on the computer and been nowhere near my house) so went down with enough ID to get a mortgage and a date with the queen, nope not good enough. But they would deliver to ANY address I chose the next day. Where in the name of all that’s Holy does that make sense. I did ask if iI t was possible to deliver it to my car in the car park in the next ten minutes but that was met with stony silence.

• Haha 2

A few weeks ago, I "bought" a second hand KRK/Lyngdorf processor at, for once, a decent price. The guy was in Germany, so I wrote him in German (not a problem as I've learnt it) asking if he would accept to deliver in Belgium and accept PayPal, and I didn't even haggle the price. He answered me that it was ok and gave me his PayPal address for the payment. I made the payment immediately using "Friends and Family" option to avoid any fee for him.

You know what ? He refunded me in the next hour !?!

I asked why he did that and never got any answer.

The funniest part is that it was still for sale a few days ago...

People are strange sometimes.

When i worked on the Post Office counter there were certain forms of ID we could accept, and others that we couldn`t. I won`t explain why certain items were unacceptable, but there was often a way to apply common sense to a situation. Fair enough if there wasn`t then the rules were there, but said common sense not only made the customers day easier, it actually made your own day easier.

• Like 2

I was in Post Office queue trying to pay for parcels to be sent out and soon as i stuck my  card in the machine,  it was refused. Tried again, nothing.

Had to phone HSBC while i was still in the queue ( which was getting longer, and the tuts were starting along with sighs )  and  i was told that there had been suspicious activity.

I was scratching my dome as i didnt know what they were talking about. They wouldnt tell me what it was.

A day or so later, i walk into my local HSBC and ask to see someone in the " suspicious activity "  dept.

Lady comes out - i explain what an embarrasment the situation in the post office was, and i wasn't happy, but if they were just protecting my account from fraudulent

activity,   then fair enough.  She still wouldn't tell me what the " suspicious activity " was.  I started to get a bit  furious around the gills, so she phoned someone above her pay grade ' further up the food chain '.   Eventually , after much debate and raised voices, i finally got  an answer.

"  A suspicous payment was made to  O2 "

" You mean the same £10 top up for my phone that i've been making for the last 6 years ? "  

Bar stewards

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1