Why become a member? ×

Poor mans Moog Taurus - possible?

MonkeyTrick

Hey guys,

This might seem similar to another topic on here but I have some different requirements. I'm basically trying to achieve the functionality of a Moog taurus but on a budget so I totally accept it's going to be a big clunky mess. 

I'm looking at buying a synth to create some huge, strange sounds to go under/alongside my playing as I'm the only guitarist in a 3-piece (playing a bass vi). What would you recommend? I'd like something fairly affordable that I can play like a keyboard but then trigger with some kind of foot controller. The mininova seems perfect but you can't seem to trigger patches with a midi foot switch.

Any ideas?

Edited by MonkeyTrick

Any MIDI footswitch that will send MIDI note on (and note off) commands and will let you assign separate MIDI note# to each switch will do the job. You'll probably need to study the manuals in detail to find out which ones will and which won't and of those that will which have enough flexibility for your needs. I'd start by having a look at the Roland FC200 and the Behringer FCB1010.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the help dude. I bought a Bass Station 2 yesterday for an absolute steal. 

If im using something like the 1010 will the note sustain when the switch is held just like holding a key? I'm wondering if a cheap organ pedal is the better option (Eg.  https://www.gak.co.uk/en/studiologic-mp-113-midi-pedalboard/101162?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt82blr7B2wIVk5EbCh2rzAkZEAQYAiABEgJiCfD_BwE)

A proper "bass" pedal board should always be a more reliable option for what you want. However if the Behringer FCB1010 will work in the way you want, then it will be more versatile since you can attach any Midi Note Number to any foot switch and not be limited to a single octave.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/keith_mcmillen_12_step.htm

Good enough for Billy Sheehan...

This thing is apparently fantastic but usb only. Don't think that will work here. Unless I'm mistaken.

33 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

A proper "bass" pedal board should always be a more reliable option for what you want. However if the Behringer FCB1010 will work in the way you want, then it will be more versatile since you can attach any Midi Note Number to any foot switch and not be limited to a single octave.

What do you mean when you say 'reliable' here dude? Isn't it essentially the same idea? I'd go for what I assume you mean by reliable (Taurus or a minotaur plus pedal) but I need the traditional key functionality as well.

Cheers guys! This is starting to make a bit more sense. 

7 minutes ago, MonkeyTrick said:

This thing is apparently fantastic but usb only. Don't think that will work here. Unless I'm mistaken.

You'd need McMillen's MIDI Expander then (or equivalent)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BigRedX said:

You can do that with the mcmillen - up to 4 arbitrary notes to each key, and they are either momentary or latching.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...