Why become a member? ×

Cabs to consider TKS, Greenboy etc etc

Guest Jecklin

14 hours ago, pmjos said:

The Greenboy was a fine cab it just didn't suit me, not enough bottom end, it didn't 'breathe' for me. I have an AER Amp Three and this has a bigger bottom end than anything I have ever played. The F112 didn't touch that.

That's an interesting observation as I find the F112's have loads of bottom end. That's why I bought your's :). One F112 replaced my EAD 212 three way cab. They are inefficient compared to other designs but I find they have plenty of low end, even when using high pass filters. I guess we all have different ideas of what we want to hear.

Edited by TPJ

There are some 112 "super" cabs that can sustain 600 watts comfortably and remain pretty fast unlike cabs using PA/FOH drivers that do what they are designed for but are not IMHO suited for MI/bass guitar use.  Also, there are new 15s that are like D140s on steroids.  They are  taking 4X the power and venturing up into 12 territory while maintaining the "old school" foundation that began our love affair with them back in the day.   A 25lb 115 is powerful and very portable.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dawind99 said:

There are some 112 "super" cabs that can sustain 600 watts comfortably and remain pretty fast unlike cabs using PA/FOH drivers that do what they are designed for but are not IMHO suited for MI/bass guitar use.  Also, there are new 15s that are like D140s on steroids.  They are  taking 4X the power and venturing up into 12 territory while maintaining the "old school" foundation that began our love affair with them back in the day.   A 25lb 115 is powerful and very portable.

Which “super cabs” are you referring to? Most of the “super cabs” I know of are designed to approach PA style speakers in terms of components and performance.

Duke at AudioKInesis is doing some.  I have a prototype that's been in testing for the last month that is taking 800 watts.  The early Berg 112s still hold there own and sound wonderful albeit heavy.  I agree to your observation re the design approach similar to or sharing components that are ProAudio/FOH focussed.  But there are drivers available now that are voiced for bass guitar that are exceptional and offering a lot more options to designers/builiders and players.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Muppet said:

Barefaced FR800? Same as the BB2 but with power amp included.  Small preamp and away you go. 

I can confirm that an FR800 is more than any sane person would ever need. That's why I have 2.

rigmay2018.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

For heaven's sake, man, where's your sense of aesthetics? That overhang is shocking.

Not at all. It looks like an evil robot! He could always turn the cabs sideward so that it's then a fat squat robot, but at least with no overhang...😜

15 hours ago, CameronJ said:

And I thought I was bad 😂

You are. 😁

• Like 1

On 05/06/2018 at 12:37, BassBod said:

If using public transport, then the TKS S112 is worth considering.  Great performance for small size and light weight. 

I love the S112, super light and great sounding... but if we're talking needing loud, that is not going to work well. I have a pair of them, and I still moved to a pair of 210.

However... TWO of those S112 cabs will probably be a good solution. They're attractively priced compared to many other cabs, and they're so small and light that frankly, they're extremely easy to carry around anywhere.

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of TKS love here.

Had a TKS 112, beautiful cab, smooth and sweet, ultra portable.

Now have a TKS 1126, awesome sounding again. Powerful, bit more articulate than the 112, has deeper lows. I have the tweeterless version and there are plenty of highs coming from the 6". 

Edited by tonyclaret