Why become a member? ×

Cabs to consider TKS, Greenboy etc etc

Guest Jecklin

Guest Jecklin

This isn't something that will happen any time soon, but I'm drawing up plans for a rig for the much louder settings I'm finding myself in more frequently.

I'm very, very interested in the Greenboy F110 and F112 cabs. In fact I'm pretty much sold.

However I see there are other options.

Barefaced Big Baby2

TKS 1126 with tweeter

And ????

What else can anyone shed some light on - real world user experience please.

This isn't for bass guitar amplification primarily, but to amplify my contrabassoon, so similar considerations to a double bass, ie massive fundamental and a lot of detail in the mids.

Thanks for any pointers

Thomas

www.thomasstonemusic.com

If you are pushing the low end and want to be louder you'll need headroom, ie need a comfortable margin in the performance of your speakers. I'd be heading towards multiple 112 or 210 cabs. A 110 on its own won't support your sound at high volumes.

What amp are you going to use?

Guest Jecklin
2 minutes ago, chris_b said:

If you are pushing the low end and want to be louder you'll need headroom, ie need a comfortable margin in the performance of your speakers. I'd be heading towards multiple 112 or 210 cabs. A 110 on its own won't support your sound at high volumes.

What amp are you going to use?

Cheers Chris,

It's going to be a single cab whatever I go for to keep stuff london public transportable.

Amplifier is also open to discussion, although I would most likely be going second hand.

Define 'louder'.

I have what's effectively a BB2 and it's up there with the best 1x12" cabs on the market as are the other choices you mention. I often think that one would not be loud enough for me without PA support. If you always have PA support it will fill any stage, but there's limits to what one small cab can do if it's got to carry the room on a loud gig.

46 minutes ago, Jecklin said:

It's going to be a single cab whatever I go for to keep stuff london public transportable.

The requirement for a single cab that goes louder will reduce your choices. A Greenboy cab is a good call but they are not the lightest cabs out there. I'd suggest a Barefaced 112. Light, loud and easily transportable. Also you get a 1 month return period so you can send it back if you decide it's not for you.

For a small (and there's part of the the problem for reproducing the massive fundamental of a contrabassoon*, although I don't know how low that is) cab with maximum, erm, output, for want of a better word, I had a BB2 which was very very loud indeed, and could handle an awful lot of lows, whilst still being light...

* Just a fantastic phrase to type... 😁

• Like 1

Guest Jecklin
24 minutes ago, Jack said:

Define 'louder'.

I have what's effectively a BB2 and it's up there with the best 1x12" cabs on the market as are the other choices you mention. I often think that one would not be loud enough for me without PA support. If you always have PA support it will fill any stage, but there's limits to what one small cab can do if it's got to carry the room on a loud gig.

Mostly always with PA support, but there are shows where i'm in up to 150 odd capacity venues without PA - however this is music where audiences watch in silence. 

I'm playing in a trio with amplified Tuba and Trombone.

We currently use a PA top each in these settings, but I'm after something I have more control over via my amp.

Guest Jecklin
Just now, Steve Browning said:

I am wondering if there is an FRFR solution? I don't suppose colouration is required, as in a bass guitar cab. You could have a single box solution rather than hoik an amp and cab around.

We currently use a PA speaker each in the trio, so effectively FRFR.

I don't need colouration, but I want the control an amplifier offers.

I know this could be achieved with a mixer/preamp though.

If you want to avoid coloration, I think your only option would be one of the Greenboy cabs, as they apparently give you exactly what you put in, for better or for worse.
They need a lot of power from what I've read. I've also been told that the F110 sounds very similar to the F112, but the F112 can go a bit louder.

Eude

My VK210 LNT 4ohms (1200W) plus DG M900 (900W at 4ohms) gives me all the headroom I'm likely to ever need in the absence of an in house PA. As a rig it delivers real clarity and punch (and on-board dirt should you also want this). 

16 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

The greenboy cabs are much nicer sounding to my ears than the fanbois favourite around here, volume, clarity and thump aplenty! 

They do look good, but are they only available in 8ohms or also 4ohms? So if you want unleash the full potential of a number of amp heads with just one cab (as per what the OP is looking to do) surely you're better off with a 4 ohm cab?

How much would a new F112 set you back? I suspect finding an used one will be tricky, given that it is not a fanbois cab and therefore relatively tiny sales numbers.

Pretty sure I saw a Greenboy 112 for sale on one of the Facebook bass marketplace groups yesterday. Seemed to have zero interest at the time, probably because the vast majority of players who aren’t in the Basschat/Talkbass sphere simply haven’t heard of them. 

Guest Jecklin
1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

How much would a new F112 set you back? I suspect finding an used one will be tricky, given that it is not a fanbois cab and therefore relatively tiny sales numbers.

£750 from tricky audio

Guest Jecklin
1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

£750 from tricky audio

Basically there isn't much in price between a big baby 2, Tks 1126 with tweeter and the greenboy f112 or f110

31 minutes ago, Jecklin said:

£750 from tricky audio

Basically there isn't much in price between a big baby 2, Tks 1126 with tweeter and the greenboy f112 or f110

Good stuff.

Some of designs / finishes are really cool.

So if you want to go LOUD and this is a key driver for you, then it seems to me you need to delve further into:

- what power handling do these cabs have?

- what is their dB output?

- do any of them even come close to VK 210LNT for either of the above? (At 43 lbs is that going to be too heavy for you, or easily manageable?)

Annoyingly a number of the manufacturers feel such basic information in industry standard form is not worthy of sharing with us humble bassists...my reaction to that is well don't expect me to part with my hard earned ££s on your gear then!

@pmjos had a F112 until Dec when he moved his on. Be good to get an 'open and honest' view of what he really thought about the cab and why he decided to move it on / what he replaced it with.

If you want value for money, there are a bunch of guys who would happily steer you in the FRFR direction with something like a RCF 735A which should give you all the power you need, and has a cab that (I have been informed!) can readily handle bass (and a lot else besides).

I can answer that. I found the Greenboy to be solidly built and a really transparent cab. The kick back feature was very useful on a compact stage.  My cab was really good but it turned out to be not for me. I found the low end response and efficiency to be less than I was looking for in the long term. 

I realised that I needed and wanted a little colour. I moved on to Bergs. I bought 2  1x12 ported cabs and a 4x10. I run these with a Demeter VTBP M 800D. I find the Bergs more to my taste, love them in fact. They are also obcenely efficient and loud if I want them to be. The 4X10 is an utter monster.

The Greenboy was a fine cab it just didn't suit me, not enough bottom end, it didn't 'breathe' for me. I have an AER Amp Three and this has a bigger bottom end than anything I have ever played. The F112 didn't touch that.

Edited by pmjos
typo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Jecklin said:

Mostly always with PA support, but there are shows where i'm in up to 150 odd capacity venues without PA - however this is music where audiences watch in silence. 

I'm playing in a trio with amplified Tuba and Trombone.

We currently use a PA top each in these settings, but I'm after something I have more control over via my amp.

Then IME I'm confident that one of the "high end" 1×12" cabs being talked about here will be loud enough.

Edited by Jack