Why become a member? ×

Shops that sell upright basses in NW England

Jateca

Hi all,

Just a quick question for you all, are there any musical instrument shops in the Northwest of England (or even the Western Midlands) that stock double basses?  

I ask because I am finally looking to upgrade on my entry level Thomann instrument, but I have not had much chance to place on other instruments besides my own, so I really have no idea what to be looking for in an upgrade outside of my own experience.  I'd really like to find somewhere that has multiple instruments that I'd be able to try out to see how they sound and feel compared to mine.  Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

Thank you

I can certainly vouch for Bass Bags, they are just up the road from me in Duffield.  Mostly new instruments, but my most recent bass teacher had bought his bass from them and they won't sell anything that is not a good bass.

.. or for a range of older basses as well as new ones, try Tim Toft in Stone (http://www.timtoftviolins.com/category/instruments/double-bass) and Turners (http://www.turnerviolins.co.uk/Instruments/DoubleBasses.aspx) in Beeston (Derby side of Nottingham). 

Toft's don't list much stock at the moment, but call them and ask; when I last went they had quite a lot in their bass room; also their Bass repairer is top notch and all their basses are nicely set up and have a price label on them.

Turners maybe a little far East for you and I've found them a little shy of actually stating genuine prices, so assume everything is negotiable; but they usually have lots of stock right across the price range.

For a big purchase like a new Double Bass, be prepared to travel and see as many as poss.  Thwaites in Watford have a room FULL of basses (some of them the price of a decent sized house - but many affordable too).

I have only just found out about this restorer and dealer in Leicester, but worth watching his stock or giving him a ring, Tim Bachelor (http://www.batchelar.com/double basses.html).

Good luck with the bass hunt.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SubsonicSimpleton said:

Make a trip to bassbags.co.uk near Derby, lots of stock and their instruments are set up properly.

It's difficult to find somewhere that does the whole end to end setup including strings and pickups etc. Bassbags does this extremely well, so worth a trip to compare what they can do for you. I tried out a number of old basses in various other shops and wasn't hugely impressed, but it depends on your budget.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...