Why become a member? ×

Super glue in truss rod help?

Got a used bass on fleabay today, all looks good, until I start to set it up. Turns out some moron has put super glue down the truss rod hole a long, long, long time ago. Anyway, I've managed to scrape out the glue to the top of the truss rod, but I'm unable to get the glue out of the nut where the allen key fits. Any advice on how to get the remaining glue out so i can fit an allen key?

N.B it's a Fender neck with truss rod access at headstock only.

Something sharp and a lot of patience! I'd probably start at it with a small, sharp twist drill to clear out the most of it (turned by hand and being careful not to mar the faces of the nut) and then small, chisel-shaped scalpel blades or maybe something like a larger hypodermic needle might work well to get into the corners. Maybe a needle file or 2.

I used a bradawl to remove the glue down to the hex. I don't have a small screwdriver or drill.

I've just ordered some superglue debonder, so hoping that will loosen some of the glue first, then I plan on using the bradawl and/or very small screwdriver to hook out the glue in the hex. Man, what a ball ache.

I had a Warwick with a twisted neck and wrecked TR. I took it to a luthier who removed the fretboard, un-twisted the neck, replaced the truss rod (I supplied this), and refitted it all.

Total cost £100. So don't despair, it's not too expensive if it does go to the worst. Let me know if you'd like luthier's details.

On 12/06/2018 at 15:52, yorks5stringer said:

So why would anyone superglue it up in the first place....very odd!  Anyway result for you.

There are some folk who live in terror of their world exploding if the truss rod setting is changed.

• Like 1