Why become a member? ×

Does anyone have the latest Bergantino gear to try?

Nic Gault

Dear Bergantino owners

I'm looking to returning to playing regularly after a couple of years, having sold my previous (Mesa Subway) cabs.  My Fender MIA Deluxe Jazz with Lollar pickups and Mesa D800 head sound good with a Barefaced Big Twin, but I'd like to give myself a comparable choice and am sufficiently old-fashioned (and risk averse) to want to try before I buy.  

Having played cabs from Aguilar, TKS, Mesa, Trickfish, Greenboy, Markbass and others, I've narrowed it down to BF and Bergantino, for a clear, precise, articulate sound across the register and my preferred cab footprint.  I understand Vanderkley cabs are highly regarded, but their finish isn't to my taste.  I'm after a vertically-orientated 212, or a pair of vertical or compact 112s.

Having been impressed by a Bergantino CN212 and pair of HD112s a couple of years ago with the D800, I'm keen to try the new HDN212 and Reference 112 cabs, this time with a Forte or B|Amp (I couldn't afford the latter amp at the time, which was pre-Forte.)  This is proving a tricky business, due to the absence of a Bergantino retailer in the UK and none, it seems, in sight.   

Is there anyone out there within striking distance of Surrey who owns a Forte or B|Amp and an HDN212 or Reference 112 cabs, who'd be kind enough to allow a well-behaved, house-trained stranger round to try them?

Yours in hope.

Nic

• 2 weeks later...

Don’t think there’s any U.K. dealers as I think Jim bergantino is set/ setting up to sell direct. Therefore no incentive  for a U.K. shop selling his product.  Shame, as his products are good but I suspect he is not great to deal with, based on my experience with him. I had an issue with one of the six berg cabs I had bought over the years, he couldn’t have cared less about helping. 

I don't know whether Jim follows Basschat but he is very protective of his brand and would be very disappointed with the above. I have had communications with Jim in the past and although he can come across a little terse on occaision, he obviously cares enormously about his product and customer service levels. (Ref: Talkbass).

As we all know, speakers tend to be the element that breaks when we over step the mark with our volume/EQ settings and Jim must get loads of requests for 'help' with damaged out of warranty cabs and he has to draw the line somewhere I guess.

On 14/06/2018 at 15:56, tonyxtiger said:

Don’t think there’s any U.K. dealers as I think Jim bergantino is set/ setting up to sell direct. Therefore no incentive  for a U.K. shop selling his product.  Shame, as his products are good but I suspect he is not great to deal with, based on my experience with him. I had an issue with one of the six berg cabs I had bought over the years, he couldn’t have cared less about helping. 

I have dealt with Jim with regards to my 15+ year old Berg cab which I bought 2nd hand. He was the very model of customer service. I have no desire to enter into a debate here, and we all have off days (or so my wife tells me).

On 14/06/2018 at 15:56, tonyxtiger said:

Bergantino sell direct in the US as a ways and means to attempt to help keep the costs of the products down. (Similarly Bergantino do not have an artist endorsement program, they do not give anything away, so the 'average Joe' doesn't have to cough up.) They do have shops selling Bergantino equipment in the US but of course they don't have the problems with VAT and customs and all that jazz we have here with importing US gear. Bergantino do want to have a UK outlet but the nearest we have at the moment is Bass Buddha in Denmark owned by the rather awesome chap Morten Ehlers. 

On the subject of whether or not he's great to deal with, I have to say that I have had the opposite experience. Friendly, keen to share the knowledge and has even sent out an email just to see how I'm getting on with my amp! Oh, the B|Amp software updates he sends out personally! 

Knowing that actually Bergantino is a reasonable small family owned business, I can imagine (actually I do know) that at times Jim is putting in long hours. Maybe you'd just caught him on a difficult day? I want to let you know that for whatever reason, I think that is a rare experience you've had. He's a good guy I think. 

• Like 1

Everyone tends to say his service is good. I don’t know how many of his products you have to buy to get a decent reply. Obviously six is not enough. It wasn’t a blown speaker. I was suspicious a 6” mid driver was overly quiet so I opened up the cab, sent a few pics of the crossover and asked if there was anything visually he could identify as a problem so I might fix it. 

couldnt have cared less. Essentially, what do you expect me to do about it. 

He is entitled to behave however he likes, it’s his company. He plainly doesn’t need my business. Sold all my berg cabs. Won’t buy another. 

14 minutes ago, tonyxtiger said:

Everyone tends to say his service is good. I don’t know how many of his products you have to buy to get a decent reply. Obviously six is not enough. It wasn’t a blown speaker. I was suspicious a 6” mid driver was overly quiet so I opened up the cab, sent a few pics of the crossover and asked if there was anything visually he could identify as a problem so I might fix it. 

He is entitled to behave however he likes, it’s his company. He plainly doesn’t need my business. Sold all my berg cabs. Won’t buy another. 

This has just put me off getting a Bergantino cab as I was considering them.

On 18/06/2018 at 16:10, tonyxtiger said:

Just came across this and was very surprised and saddened to hear of your experience with us.  Was it me personally you were dealing with?  I can't recall this exchange you're referring to, although that doesn't mean it didn't happen.  I do try to help all my customers with any questions or service needs they may have with our products in a very timely manner.  In the case of your 6" midrange driver, there have been other customers with the same question or curiosity as to whether or not it was working due to the fact that the high frequency content of a bass guitar is very low in output relative to the lower frequencies.  My response for testing this was to play full- range, pre-recorded music thru the speaker to see if the output was consistent with the recording.  In all cases, it eliminated any concerns the customer had regarding the 6" driver.    I do take great pride in our customer support and service,  and expect no less from our dealers.  This, of course, doesn't excuse any poor communication on my part, and I am very sorry if it was me personally you were corresponding with.

Best Regards,

Jim Bergantino

Edited by Bergantino Audio
  • Like 5