Why become a member? ×

Anyone a member of Scotts Bass Academy?

thebigyin

Just wondering if anyone is a member and is it worth joining....I have watched a few video lessons and bits on youtube some I have enjoyed and some I thought just meaningless drivel almost like he is scraping the barrel to just put a video out.....I don't know if I am just tempted to join to almost re-kindle my love for the Bass...not played band wise for years now and almost gave up I just don't have much enthusiasm at present....anyone feel the same? or is it just me having a mid-life crisis at 56...any suggestions to help me get back on track....I live in Grimsby and the once thriving music scene as died on its backside.

I love the SBL lessons but I'm not overwhelmed by some of the interviews.

One of the reasons that I'm not a member is that I reckon that I'd only find some of the lessons useful and that I'd pick and choose what I'd use. I'm happy to get the free stuff for the moment.

44 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I love the SBL lessons but I'm not overwhelmed by some of the interviews.

One of the reasons that I'm not a member is that I reckon that I'd only find some of the lessons useful and that I'd pick and choose what I'd use. I'm happy to get the free stuff for the moment.

Aye sounds about right

It’s worth noting for those who have signed up for a year’s membership in the past and haven’t renewed, it’s possible to get lifetime membership at a very good rate (I can’t remember how much exactly but I remember it being less than the cost of 2 years membership) you have to email the SBL directly though as they don’t advertise the deal publicly.

For those pondering whether the membership content will be useful to you, I’ve taken some screenshots of the course and seminar menus so you can have an “inside peek”

And no, I don’t work for SBL 😂

Apologies for the massive image count!

64404A48-9374-42EC-9CF3-47CA9DC0FDDD.png

89F70BFC-E691-416E-B817-AEEA284BE209.png

F4CDA656-ED5E-4261-ADA3-83E2A5A60827.png

CF429B8C-97C0-414C-A628-313A79C28641.png

64496479-463A-44CD-A169-DE7F73FFC867.png

F675A6B0-33EC-4826-9463-54B2A588076B.png

75A68A3F-2FC6-47C3-8D3F-1F906ADBB72F.png

D3BB016A-997B-47F1-8722-2BF34F36D4B6.png

42E1831C-0462-48CE-863F-DFD8E9C8FED5.png

7FDD8F34-7A22-4521-AD9A-28BF9849D9B8.png

6EE717CA-D36D-421D-85B1-2DFDAF0D1328.png

400EDBAC-CF4A-460D-A878-22CFA129A4EC.png

C6B6244D-D345-4039-A4BB-5B54FB2F5DC4.png

A518028A-E080-41CE-955A-0BE23C5D17AD.png

A105837B-C062-45D1-B136-4F0CA36B525A.png

B7E048F4-91BD-4ABC-9A12-17F18F17F090.png

018CE572-3AD8-494A-8D7C-7557A0837F7B.png

16E1A3A6-27C5-4935-B52D-52615E0D5097.png

04E93F44-FDF5-4439-BFB6-B0A1B862E4AF.png

5075E1B6-2E25-4225-968B-B47618941263.png

82F82157-ED3A-449B-9169-272E989C123E.png

3F880090-A7E7-4EA9-ADF4-BC1632F75A6C.png

Edited by CameronJ

I'm a lifetime member of Scott's Bass Academy. Yes, some of the people in the forum ("Campus" as they call it) are a PITA. Much of the chat is all very... well...

But I don't regret having open access to an incredible and growing number of lessons FAR out stripping ANYTHING on Youtube. The SBL paid-for lessons are much better than any Scott ever gave for free. You also have opportunity, once a month (?) to be at a live video-chat session with guest speakers, who are often teachers of bass at the Berkeley School of Music. 

No, no regrets here.

Go grab a 14-day trial membership and try it for yourself. You have nothing to lose. If you don't like it Scott WILL give you your money back.
https://scottsbasslessons.com/

IIRC the first year was about £100. Topping up, at the 12 month stage, to "LIfetime" was another £200.

Compare that to 1-to-1 lessons with a mediocre teacher at £26 an hour?  10 lessons inc travel costs?

Edited by Grangur
  • Like 2

I’m sure this will be a great resource for bass players starting out or struggling to improve, but speaking as someone who was a pro player and did studio sessions etc I’ve not seen anything from the free videos on YouTube that would want me to sign up. I’m lucky enough to have a pretty good ear (and worked on it a lot) so all my lessons came from my music collection, and playing with musicians who were much better than me. I get the feeling that the money may be better spent with a good teacher - but appreciate that they’re not always easy to find, and can be harder to vet as to their knowledge and ability as a teacher until you’ve spent a lot of money. Then again if I were a beginner now, this would probably be a lot better than some of the learning resources I had when I started!

• Like 1

Hey guys - great to see that you're checking out what we're doing over at SBL!

Thought I'd chime in to add some clarity that may be useful in some way, shape or form. 

What I publish on YouTube is a completely different kettle of fish compared to the ScottsBassLessons Membership.

My YouTube lessons are kinda bite size chunks of standalone info, usually on a particular subject. The latest one's (as in, for the last 18 months or so), are very "unpolished", show a lot of behind the scenes stuff, and 99% of them are all me. 

ScottsBassLessons on the other hand is an online school. 

• We have a library of over 40 courses (each course is focused on a particular subject, and some are up to 10 hours long)
  • We stream live classes for our members each and every Monday from some of the best bass educators on the planet (these are also interactive so our students can ask questions, live)
  • I host a monthly "student focus" class - so members can submit videos directly to me, and get a video response from me in return
  • And a bunch of other cool stuff... but I'm guessing you get the idea.

Again, just to make it super clear, ScottsBassLessons isn't just me - our faculty consists of bass players such as, Gary Willis, Cody Wright, Rufus Philpot, Steve Jenkins, Rich Bown, Danny Mo Morris (Berklee College of Music), Ed Friedland, Ariene Capp, Evan Marien and many more...  

As I'm guessing you'll see, it's a big operation and is nothing like what I do on YouTube. 

I should also mention that all of our courses inside SBL are highly produced, unlike my YouTube videos. 

If you do wanna check it out, we have a free trial for that exact reason - so you can take it for a test drive and see if it's for you. 

Any other questions - just gimme a shout!

Cheers, 

Scott. 

PS. I'll try and keep the meaningless drivel down to a minimum for ya @thebigyin;)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, devinebass said:

Hey guys - great to see that you're checking out what we're doing over at SBL!

Thought I'd chime in to add some clarity that may be useful in some way, shape or form. 

What I publish on YouTube is a completely different kettle of fish compared to the ScottsBassLessons Membership.

My YouTube lessons are kinda bite size chunks of standalone info, usually on a particular subject. The latest one's (as in, for the last 18 months or so), are very "unpolished", show a lot of behind the scenes stuff, and 99% of them are all me. 

ScottsBassLessons on the other hand is an online school. 

• We have a library of over 40 courses (each course is focused on a particular subject, and some are up to 10 hours long)
  • We stream live classes for our members each and every Monday from some of the best bass educators on the planet (these are also interactive so our students can ask questions, live)
  • I host a monthly "student focus" class - so members can submit videos directly to me, and get a video response from me in return
  • And a bunch of other cool stuff... but I'm guessing you get the idea.

Again, just to make it super clear, ScottsBassLessons isn't just me - our faculty consists of bass players such as, Gary Willis, Cody Wright, Rufus Philpot, Steve Jenkins, Rich Bown, Danny Mo Morris (Berklee College of Music), Ed Friedland, Ariene Capp, Evan Marien and many more...  

As I'm guessing you'll see, it's a big operation and is nothing like what I do on YouTube. 

I should also mention that all of our courses inside SBL are highly produced, unlike my YouTube videos. 

If you do wanna check it out, we have a free trial for that exact reason - so you can take it for a test drive and see if it's for you. 

Any other questions - just gimme a shout!

Cheers, 

Scott. 

PS. I'll try and keep the meaningless drivel down to a minimum for ya @thebigyin;)

Eh Scott apologies for that wasn't meant as a knock at you personally....been very tempted to join the academy to try re-kindle my love for Bass but don't know if I could justify it to be honest? Been playing a long time on and off but bouts of depression I have lost all confidence in my ability to play again...I pick my Bass up with all good intention but usually put it down within 20 minutes.....don't understand theory well....find it difficult to focus and apply myself....so please accept my apologies for a poor remark and post....it amounts to nothing more than petty jealousy on my behalf, I could never be that good as long as I have got a whole in my derrière....and feel really bad now....on a positive note I enjoy most of your videos....depression as messed me up badly and I'm in a rut musically. Wish I could remove the comment....cheers Bob.

1 hour ago, thebigyin said:

Eh Scott apologies for that wasn't meant as a knock at you personally....been very tempted to join the academy to try re-kindle my love for Bass but don't know if I could justify it to be honest? Been playing a long time on and off but bouts of depression I have lost all confidence in my ability to play again...I pick my Bass up with all good intention but usually put it down within 20 minutes.....don't understand theory well....find it difficult to focus and apply myself....so please accept my apologies for a poor remark and post....it amounts to nothing more than petty jealousy on my behalf, I could never be that good as long as I have got a whole in my derrière....and feel really bad now....on a positive note I enjoy most of your videos....depression as messed me up badly and I'm in a rut musically. Wish I could remove the comment....cheers Bob.

Hey @thebigyin noooooo need to apologise mate, and definitely don't feel bad - I was jesting with ya ;)

I've published something like 700+ videos on YouTube over the last few years... just by the law of averages, some will likely be crap, lol.

Have a great day man, and seriously, no need to apologise at all. 

S :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm a bandless hobbyist these days and put i just enough practice to keep my hand in. At 48 I'm not going be making any money from music any time soon and accept  that my band days are probably behind me. So, I'm not sure I should be putting too much time into the bass when I oughta be honing other skills that'll earn me a crust in my dotage . Were I half my age then I'd join SBL for sure!

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

I'm a bandless hobbyist these days and put i just enough practice to keep my hand in. At 48 I'm not going be making any money from music any time soon and accept  that my band days are probably behind me. 

Funnily enough 49 was the year when my gigging level shot right up, I have been consistently gigging in the 5 years since then.

• Like 1

Although I had my SR1000 in 2008, I didn't get the other ibanezes until after I had started gigging this time around. I had a dingwall when I went for the audition of the group I restarted my gigging with. They said they liked the playing but hated the sound, I remember I had the spare in the car (the Hohner B2), so played that and they loved it. First gigs with them I played a Squier CV70 P Bass, then the geddy jazz, then the Ibby and ACG.