Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz Issue

Hi guys,

sorry if this is incorrect, I have a Genz Benz Streamliner 900, last night it stopped working, did 2 x 45 min sets and for the first set it was fine, clicked on the mute, came back to do the next set and it wasn't picking up any input.

Tried different cables etc, the lights come on as if its on, but its not picking up any input as no matter how much I played the clip led did not light up. I'm no technical whiz so any advise would be great

thanks

Stoff

Mine did exactly that.  It was just after Fender bought the company and before they sold it on.  Fender gave me a Rumble 500 as a replacement and I was a bit miffed to begin with but the Rumble has turned out to be an excellent amp.

If the amp has died, then I suspect that your choices are limited.  Aged horse on Talkbass might be able to help but he's in the states.  It depends how much you like the amp.

I'm no amp tech, but here's a few things you could try (at your own risk of course!), if you haven't done so yet:

Any output to the headphones out?

Any sound through the speakers if you go into the "power amp in" socket in the back (you may want to go through an effect pedal or preamp first, but even straight in from a bass will test if there is any signal from the power amp to speakers)

Anything coming out of the DI set to pre-EQ ?

If nothing results from these tests, let it cool down whilst turned off, but the mains cable connected, for a couple of hours, then disconnect and open the cover. Do all the circuit board connectors look to be connected fully (I've had one come loose on an amp before, with the same symptoms as you describe). If all OK, try carefully swapping the valves around. If I recall v1 is the input valve, v2 is the EQ valve, so try reversing these. Please be careful though, as capacitors etc. can still give you a shock even some time after the amp is turned off. I also don't touch valves directly with my fingers, so they don't get oil on the glass, which will later get very hot.

Hope you can get it working again.

Thanks guys, got it up and running again, tried the effects loop and got sound via that, so assumed it was a valve, cracked the amount open and switched the valves around, they don't look blown, maybe it came loose . .either way it's working again and will be ordering some new valves 

Thanks guys!

So Andy said:

Try bypassing the effects loop with a short 1/4" shielded cable. 

Also, it's possible that you have a bad tube (valve). Try substituting a known good 12AX7 into each of the 3 tube positions and see if the sound comes back. 

Otherwise, you will need to find a technician or service engineer that is experienced servicing class D amps. I can support the Fender service guys, as well as Sutherland Trading and any Mesa Boogie authorized service center if they are willing to work on it.

Best regards,

Andy

• Thanks 1