Why become a member? ×

Basschat feedback / buying & selling / the people on this forum

dodge_bass

16 minutes ago, Ruck said:

Hate to be the naysayer but do not let all these positive experiences get your guard down.   I have been victim to many a con artist on here despite many positive experiences and awesome gear acquisitions.

We always advise people to follow the safety advice posted in the marketplace. Did you report any of these con artists, because we deal with every single one and often act as a go between and resolve issues for people. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ped said:

We always advise people to follow the safety advice posted in the marketplace. Did you report any of these con artists, because we deal with every single one and often act as a go between and resolve issues for people. 

Indeed I've always had stellar support from the admins here. I'm a bit harsh when I say con artist. Though at least one of them definitely deserves it, possibly another.   A few others have conveniently left details of flaws out of descriptions and claim they have never noticed, however obvious it was. Most instances I have sorted disputes with partial refunds.  Some of them I haven't noticed til further down the line such as truss rod defects so I put that down to my own mistake of not fully inspecting something over.   Some people have sent £200 pedals in nothing more than a jiffy bag.  I've been trading on here for a few years so I'm bound to see some deals go amiss.

If you check my feedback you'll see I've done a lot of buying and selling over the eight or nine years I've been a member here - and I haven't experienced a single problem. Yes, it could be pure luck. Or maybe this is a just great place to buy and sell. :)

• Like 1

+1 to the OP

For me, I've had over 12 years and counting on Bassworld, Basstalk and Basschat collectively, and had almost overwhelmingly positive experiences when buying and selling gear.

And though there's only been a couple of instances in all that time which had problems - both caused by Courierbot error I might add - things were amicably resolved in typical Basschatter fashion, i.e. through good communications.

On more than one occasion, people have loaned gear to me to try out at my leisure and that's been an invaluable resource, especially when that evil-eyed GAS monkey is getting the better of me! 

Happy to say I've made a few good friends on here too, often through buying/selling, but also at the various Bass Bashes I've been to.

Gotta say... the Mods deserve a lot of credit for keeping this place in good shape; without that constantly care and attention, I think it could quite easily slip a little.

But most of all, I think it's a great community on Basschat because bass players are all about building good stuff from the ground up, and bringing folk together - it's just what we do! ☺

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, silverfoxnik said:

Gotta say... the Mods deserve a lot of credit for keeping this place in good shape; without that constantly care and attention, I think it could quite easily slip a little.

But most of all, I think it's a great community on Basschat because bass players are all about building good stuff from the ground up, and bringing folk together - it's just what we do! ☺

This.

There does seem to be a fellowship of bass players, I've found it in other places and situations too. I think it's something to do with choosing a relatively uncommon and under-appreciated instrument.

My older son aspired to be a cathedral organist, but was never quite good enough. But he had encouragement and support from some of the very best organists in the country. it wasn't a competition, it was a community.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elfrasho said:

I've lost close to 200 quid on here from a deal that didn't come through. Lost the money. Haven't learned my lesson though cos I'm never out the classifieds! 😅 

Name and shame... 

I’ve only done a couple of transactions on Basschat but both have been a pleasure. I’m sure the occasional bad apple comes along to spoil it for somebody but the vast majority of people here are honest, decent people. Basschat would always be my first port of call if I were in the market for something. I don’t trust eBay.

• 7 months later...
3 minutes ago, Sarlscharisma said:

I have had mainly positive experiences of buying and selling on this forum, but today I had a nightmare with a very rude seller on this forum that's left me very disappointed and frustrated.

Crikey, sorry to hear that mate. I hope you won't hesitate to use the feedback option, last time I had a bad experience here - and left negative feedback as the result - it was rather frustrating to receive PMs from a couple of members indicating that they'd had the same experience although had not left any feedback that could have prevented me losing my money. The feedback system works as an incentive to do things properly, but only if people use it when things go wrong. Hope you get it sorted. Chris

• Like 4

Just now, Beedster said:

Crikey, sorry to hear that mate. I hope you won't hesitate to use the feedback option, last time I had a bad experience here - and left negative feedback as the result - it was rather frustrating to receive PMs from a couple of members indicating that they'd had the same experience although had not left any feedback that could have prevented me losing my money. The feedback system works as an incentive to do things properly, but only if people use it when things go wrong. Hope you get it sorted. Chris

+1 to this. Very solid advice.

Yep agree with the OP, all too easy to imagine everyone wants to scam you in this world. Basschat dispels this myth. In fact the only faulty thing I ever bought here I 100% believe the seller had no idea was broken. I didn't even mention it to him, life's too short, just fixed the problem.

I was really unsure when I first joined Basschat last year how effective the market place would be.  Turns out very!  I've ended up selling a lot of stuff on here from Books to Amps, Cabs and Bass Guitars.   I won't hesitate in renewing my sellers subscription.

The worst experience I had was a member messing me around coming through with payment for a cab and then eventually disappearing.  It was my fault however, I declined a deposit offer he made initially and subsequently  let him make too many promises about payment before calling it a day.

Apart from that everyone had been great, I've enjoyed meeting and talking to fellow BCers.

I'm happy to buy & sell here & have done many times, meetups to buy the odd Stingray here or there & swift trips down the M5 to find a Berg cab a new home.

Think I even shipped abroad once.

I did get stung by the doctor who shall remain nameless though, we all know how that went down!

All in all it's a great place & it's nice to watch a forum grow, I think I joined BW in 2004 :-0

From meetings in car parks, lay-bys and railway stations, buying and trading, everyone I've met has been great and honest good guys to deal with. By post and courier I've found the same, even sending a flight case out to guys so they could send a bass to me, worked every time. Also had basschatters visit my home, all have been great to meet, always friendly and plenty to chat about, time always goes too quick.

Of course I've made and sold a lot of wiring looms too, with only a couple of problems, which were amicably sorted, when I look at the numbers on my feedback it's hard to believe - over 400 replies and 50,000 views last time I looked!

Great place and good people, big thanks to @ped , @Bilbo and all the mods that give up their time and help to keep this all going.

Thanks to all those who have bought my kits too, this is the only place I sell - to basschatters - I couldn't stand the hassle of ebay!!

Cheerz, John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It's probably me being stupid🤔, but when it comes to leaving feedback, I'm never really sure how to go about it.

If I open the feedback forum, where do I find the person I want to leave feedback for?

At the moment there are 223 pages of feedback with many BC's having feedback left in different places, is there a reason why a member's feedback could not be in the their profile so that when you click on their profile you can see their feedback immediately?

Like most people, I much prefer to buy and sell on BassChat and don't like using eBay, but at least you can see the person's feedback immediately on eBay.

• Thanks 1

I can only echo the positivity of the trades, purchases sales and meetings on here. I’ve never encountered an issue with payments or shipping with anyone, and it’s all down to the communications. I’ve spent a good few quid on gear over the years, had basses shipped across the channel and I hate to think how many miles I’ve driven to meet people in services on every major trunk route in the U.K. I’ve eaten my fair share of biscuits at other people houses and drank their tea, aswell as providing that service. In fact, I’ve even made friends with a few of those unlucky people. 😂

Long may it continue. 

Edited by bassfan