Why become a member? ×

Basschat feedback / buying & selling / the people on this forum

dodge_bass

I've just completed another bass part ex / sale with Martin from Wales - we had lots of communication both ways throughout the process and have been exchanging a few texts since about the basses we swapped. And it got me thinking as I was writing his feedback and looking at the three pages of feedback I've got....basically (bar one specific example - exception that proves the rule?!) I've had nothing but overwhelmingly positive experiences ( a LOT of them!) with people I've never met. Often involving quite a lot of money / expensive instruments and therefore trust of this unknown person. It's a great community of people who really do give bass players an excellent name.  I'm sure other forums for different instruments may be the same  (I'm not on any so can't really comment) but this really is a lovely group of people on here and I"m chuffed to call myself a bass player knowing that there's a lot of lovely people out there who also call themselves bassplayers! All good!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Couldn’t agree more. I’ve had nothing but positive experiences both buying and selling on here. The cumulative value of the gear that I’ve bought and sold via BC is well in the 4-figure zone. Sure, I know a couple of folk who’ve had less than smooth experiences but such cases are definitely the exception, not the rule.

So much love for this community! Big thanks to @ped and the team for keeping it up and running!

• Like 4

Bought and sold stuff here for years, never had a bad exchange, everyone's polite and the couple of people I've met have been friendly and honest fellows to a man. 

Only problem I've encountered is the lack of interest in some of the dodgy kit I've advertised sometimes...!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

In the 16 years that I've been a member of Bassworld, Basstalk and Basschat buying and selling kit or selling cables I've never had a problem.  I even had a BCer send me a Sadowsky Metro from Poland without payment until I had checked it out.

However I recently advertised for something I wanted and received a PM from a just registered new member who wanted my email address so they could send details and pictures.  I declined and suggested they put them in the PM.  I've heard nothing since so it pays to be wary.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, obbm said:

However I recently advertised for something I wanted and received a PM from a just registered new member who wanted my email address so they could send details and pictures.  I declined and suggested they put them in the PM.  I've heard nothing since so it pays to be wary.  

That's a common scam tactic on car forums (I always want to write fora - something to do with doing Latin at school!) new user just so happens to have exactly the part you have been looking for, along with every other wanted ad of the last month. 

21 minutes ago, vmaxblues said:

just goes to prove yet again that bass players are all around good eggs and pillars of the music world, is hero too strong a word?

Well as you were the other party in my first transaction on here I've got to second this! Oh, and re my previous post, yes, you did leave feedback all those years ago!

Same here - its been a really good reliable place to buy and sell in my experience.

The only one transaction I've been involved in that didn't turn out as planned was efficiently and amicably sorted with the seller via an exchange of PMs.

So yeah, all good.

• Like 1

Absolutely agree with the OP :)
I've bought, sold and traded quite a bit on here, and it has always been a very positive experience for me
Actually, BC has helped me experiment with different gear, and find my "ideal" instruments and amps / cabs

Only downside..... it has fueled my GAS about a thousand fold! ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Marc S said:

Absolutely agree with the OP :)
I've bought, sold and traded quite a bit on here, and it has always been a very positive experience for me
Actually, BC has helped me experiment with different gear, and find my "ideal" instruments and amps / cabs

Only downside..... it has fueled my GAS about a thousand fold! ;)

This. +100!!! I have never, in nearly ten years on here, had a bad experience with buying, selling or trading. Wish I could say the same for FB groups...

Basschat is the best place to buy and sell on the internet, no doubt.

Ebay and gumtree, I've had time wasters, con artists and unfortunately bought duff gear with no comeback.

Facebook can be ok, but that's usually the more local music/instrument sale pages. 

I think it's the communication between buyer and seller that's key on here, and that's as a result of it being a forum where we all, generally, get on. You don't get that level of communication and trust elsewhere.

And where else would I buy cables (@obbm) and wiring looms (@KiOgan) ? 

• Like 2

I think it's down to the fact that as a fairly small community and everyone values their reputation. 

... And bassists generally aren't the big ego types who think they'll just blag their way out of anything

Edited by gs_triumph
  • Like 4

I've been a member here since 2010, I've traded loads of gear in that time with only one deal not going well - that member now blocked. 

I'm glad to say that every other deal has gone well and I've made loads of friends as a result.

Another great place to meet up with fellow members are the Bass Bashes - nice to put faces to usernames and to spend quality time with people with the same interests.

• Like 2

On 03/06/2018 at 22:18, dodge_bass said:

...this really is a lovely group of people on here and I'm chuffed to call myself a bass player knowing that there's a lot of lovely people out there who also call themselves bass players! All good!

You bloody mellifluous, considerate humanitarian! Coming on here with your damn congenial, indulgent tolerance! It's nothing but benign encouragement and accommodating bias! >:(

:biggrin:

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, discreet said:

You bloody mellifluous, considerate humanitarian! Coming on here with your damn congenial, indulgent tolerance! It's nothing but benign encouragement and accommodating bias! >:(

:biggrin:

Excellent use of “mellifluous” - you just don’t get that on Guitarchat!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1