Why become a member? ×

Elixir strings.. What happened?

The last couple packs of Elixir's I have had have not maintained their brightness or tone for long at all.. I put a set on two and a half weeks ago and they seem to have died off a lot already! Has anybody else experienced this? 

Also any other string recommendations with long life? I love the coating on Elixirs as it doesn't grab the skin and feels smoother to play so if there are other coated strings I'd be interested to hear..

Cheers!

Jack

4 hours ago, JuliusGroove said:

The last couple packs of Elixir's I have had have not maintained their brightness or tone for long at all.. I put a set on two and a half weeks ago and they seem to have died off a lot already! Has anybody else experienced this? 

Also any other string recommendations with long life? I love the coating on Elixirs as it doesn't grab the skin and feels smoother to play so if there are other coated strings I'd be interested to hear..

Cheers!

Jack

Where did you buy them ?

I stopped buying them off EBay and only buy them from shops due too many copies being made. 

Did a gig and the E string snapped from now I know was a copy set (they went dull too). If they’re cheap there’s a reason.

I’ve also gone over to the DR coated range which sound great and not copied with the wacky finishes.

11 hours ago, JuliusGroove said:

I buy them from Amazon..

Dispatched by Amazon or sold through amazon? Loads of fakes out there. I believe Elixir have some info in their site about how to identify them. 

I talk to Elixir a fair bit and they haven’t changed anything as far as I’m aware but I’ll double check for you. Hope not as I use them too, and love them to bits. 

As others have said, there are  a lot of fakes out there and its worth looking at Elixirs new packaging as I remember something about the new design being harder to copy? If they turn out to be genuine Elixirs, give them a call or an email, if there is a fault somewhere they need to know about it to rectify it, and judging by my experience with them, they are a friendly bunch, active on here, and I am sure they will want to help remedy any problems you have.

I have to say I have not tried any other coated strings, I love Elixir strings and don't want to risk a good chunk of money on another set to find I don't like them. Saying that, D'Addario NYXL strings are very good for non coated strings, I have had a huge amount of use out of them and my body chemistry destroys regular strings at an alarming rate.

On 03/06/2018 at 21:47, ped said:

Dispatched by Amazon or sold through amazon? Loads of fakes out there. I believe Elixir have some info in their site about how to identify them. 

I talk to Elixir a fair bit and they haven’t changed anything as far as I’m aware but I’ll double check for you. Hope not as I use them too, and love them to bits. 

The DRs I have bought through Amazon are genuine from my experience. 

8 minutes ago, The59Sound said:

The DRs I have bought through Amazon are genuine from my experience. 

Yeah the reason I ask is because Amazon will sell the genuine article, but if you buy through an amazon seller (third party) there’s no guarantee they’ll have sourced the genuine article. 

• 1 month later...

There are fake Elixir bass strings being sold on eBay. I bought a pack from an eBay seller about a year ago and I knew something wasn’t right straight away as they felt very rough. The ball ends were a different colour (silver instead of dull gold), the wind at the ball ends were very sloppy, the tension was so high I had to adjust my truss rod on the night and they came in the old design packaging. They lasted one performance and I had to replace them as they began to corrode by the following evening. Which means that they certainly were not coated. Even good non coated strings last more than one gig. Shocking. Bought them for £40 for a 5-string set and I thought that I was getting a good deal. I have used nothing but Elixir strings for over 10yrs and I have never had a dud set until I bought that pack from eBay. I contacted the seller to which I received no reply, which I will get back to in a moment.

Thats not the end of the saga! I bought another set from a different eBay seller about 3 months ago...this time for £42. I soon as I opened the package and saw the old packaging design I thought “ah sh*t...not again!”. I didn’t even put them on the bass as the tell tale signs were there. They looked and felt exactly the same as the fake ones I bought last year. Contacted the seller...again...no response. I am suspecting there is someone creating multiple eBay accounts and quickly closing them as I couldn’t find any info for the previous seller I bought from. The seller from 3 months ago has also recently disappeared from eBay. Coincidence??

I complained to eBay, which is a long story that I won’t get into right now, but beware...if you see Elixir strings being offered for such a low price on eBay they are more than likely fake. Every set I have bought from Amazon (albeit roughly the same price as the high street) has been the real McCoy.

Edited by shizznit
  • Sad 1

Always buy from an official retailer or from amazon themselves (not a seller ON amazon)

Quality is worth paying for. These strings last me at least a year a set so even a £50 pack saves me tons a year. 

• 2 months later...