Why become a member? ×

The Selector - Biggest Weekend Squier Content

Hobbayne

Watching The Selector on the BBC Iplayer at the Biggest Weekend in Coventry.

The bassist is playing a Squier Classic Vibe Precision, how cool is that!

No gear snobbery there. Good bassist too, although I think Pauline Black is the only original member.

• Like 5

I saw her play with Jools Holland at St Albans Civic Centre a couple of years ago...two other original members IIRC but for the life of me can't remember who/what they played. Maybe Dave Swift will be along shortly to clear it up for us.

I`ve seen a fair few pro bands using Squiers/Epiphones/Westones etc. I think it`s great that this happens, and I really wish my fave instruments to play weren`t US Precisions, but they just are, so I`ll have to live with it.

Saw spinoff band from Selecter back in the day when they split into 2; can't remember their name but they we're good. ( Just googled - the People).

Founder member Neol Davies is a really interesting fella with a book in him. A shame his group has been taken from him.

And, slightly off topic, Dexys post-split band the Bureau were fantastic and better than what Rowland's lot became.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mickeyboro said:

Saw spinoff band from Selecter back in the day when they split into 2; can't remember their name but they we're good. ( Just googled - the People).

Founder member Neol Davies is a really interesting fella with a book in him. A shame his group has been taken from him.

And, slightly off topic, Dexys post-split band the Bureau were fantastic and better than what Rowland's lot became.

I didn't know The Bureau... thanks for that! :)  

I play occasionally with the trombone player from the Dexys, he's our 5th member although he only plays a few gigs each year with us. I didn't know the Dexys either until I met him (apart from the obvious Come on Eileen...). Anyway... thanks for the Bureau, that's really what I wanted to say but I get distracted a lot :D

Saw them supporting/dual headlining with The Levellers a couple of years back.  I’m a bit of a Levellers fan but The Selecter blew them off stage with their energy and sound.

Can’t recall what bass their player had but I know he was playing through a Genz Streamliner and a Barefaced 2x15.  Great sound.

Was it John Thompson on bass with the Selector? http://www.bassguitarmagazine.com/news/its-john-thompson-of-the-selecter/

I saw Selector with The Levellers at Rock City and he was playing a P Bass with a Darkstar through a Streamliner 900 & Barefaced 2x15. Amazing sound and pocket. Him and the drummer were spectacular. Think John also was the bass player in the Tindersticks & Crazy P. 

3 hours ago, Lee-Man said:

Was it John Thompson on bass with the Selector? http://www.bassguitarmagazine.com/news/its-john-thompson-of-the-selecter/

I saw Selector with The Levellers at Rock City and he was playing a P Bass with a Darkstar through a Streamliner 900 & Barefaced 2x15. Amazing sound and pocket. Him and the drummer were spectacular. Think John also was the bass player in the Tindersticks & Crazy P. 

Rock City? That was the same gig I was at 😁

You see a fair few pro bass players sporting Squier et al. I don't think it's that remarkable... Squier basses are of a quality that can cater for most people's ability. The key point is being able to play the bloody thing and not have to worry about it. For example, if you're on tour and your bass gets wrecked or goes walkies it's easy enough for someone to go to the local music shop and buy a near-identical instrument off the peg without going bankrupt.

Edited by discreet
  • Like 2

Agree, Mark. When i saw a rather well-known punk band a few years back I was amazed at him "only" playing a Squier. And then I saw the amount of beer thrown at them throughout the set and realised maybe he didn`t want that happening to his more expensive instruments.

3 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I saw a rather well-known punk band a few years back I was amazed at him "only" playing a Squier. And then I saw the amount of beer thrown at them throughout the set and realised maybe he didn`t want that happening to his more expensive instruments.

Which begs the question... why have a more expensive instrument? :) What's the point if you're only going to play it at home or use it for recording? OK, a good recording bass is a thing of beauty to the ear of the beholder, but you know what I mean. And I don't include buying premium basses as a collector or investor, just to nip that in the bud... :D

14 minutes ago, discreet said:

Which begs the question... why have a more expensive instrument? :) What's the point if you're only going to play it at home or use it for recording? OK, a good recording bass is a thing of beauty to the ear of the beholder, but you know what I mean. And I don't include buying premium basses as a collector or investor, just to nip that in the bud... :D

well, you need to have a decent instrument you can play at home while your gigging one is at the cleaners'...

42 minutes ago, discreet said:

Well it`s a difficult one, I think if I got to the same position where I was playing a cheaper instrument live through necessity I`d still want to have my fave bass to play at home, as in all honesty I play far more at home than I do with the band. Similarly I would want to keep that one to record with as I just love the sound. My preference is for the US 2012-15 Series Fenders, but if I had to I`d be fine to use my Vintage Tony Butler live.

45 minutes ago, mcnach said:

...well, you need to have a decent instrument you can play at home while your gigging one is at the cleaners'...

15 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Well it`s a difficult one, I think if I got to the same position where I was playing a cheaper instrument live through necessity I`d still want to have my fave bass to play at home, as in all honesty I play far more at home than I do with the band.

I'm not going to argue. I'd do the same. :)

Yes, that'll be me then. I'm not currently with them, apart from a one off this weekend at Tunes in the dunes, the wonderful luke Palmer has been the bassist for the last few years, and yes he plays a squire....very well.

I also played a squire for most of my time with them, an extremely playable red CV precision which had a great relic job done by Al Knight, I later installed a darkstar copy pickup called a nu-sonic made by a guy in Brighton, stuck on some TI flats, left them on for four years, and there you have it...... I later had a copy made by Al, in white with a matching headstock.

The amp was indeed a GB streamliner 900 through a barefaced super fifteen, with the FOH signal split through a REDDI and a Sansamp VTDI.

The Squire will be at home this weekend though as I'll be using a recently acquired JMJ mustang..... what a killer bass !

Anyway, I have to say, it's very nice to get a mention on these hallowed pages.

Cheers

John

Lee-Man, we should get together for a bass pint, i'm in Notts, as I think a few others here are. A pub based bass bash if you will. 

• Like 3

On 03/06/2018 at 12:37, Lozz196 said:

I`ve seen a fair few pro bands using Squiers/Epiphones/Westones etc. I think it`s great that this happens, and I really wish my fave instruments to play weren`t US Precisions, but they just are, so I`ll have to live with it.

Paul McCartney"s bass player plays an Epiphone bass.

Blue

I don't mind saying this for the umpteenth time...tone really is in the fingers yay!

My US P bass sounds exactly like my Squier VM P bass...but it's a little easier to play and that's it. Both bodies are Alder and the chunkier neck on the VM makes it actually sound a tad grindier than the US P.....To me the main difference is price.

Affordable Squiers have a come a heck of a long way in 20 + yrs.

2 minutes ago, oldbass said:

I don't mind saying this for the umpteenth time... tone really is in the fingers yay!

Agree absolutely. Whichever bass I play through whichever amp, I sound more or less the same... so my choice of bass comes down to ease of playing, balance on the strap and cosmetics. Because I'm shallow.

I play Fenders purely because they are what I aspired to as a schoolboy some 45 years ago. I am just as happy playing my MiM Jazz basses as I am playing my MiA Precisions (both Ps were bought used, the Jazzes were both new) and I am sure I'd be equally happy with Squiers. I kept my Epiphone T bird last year and sold my Gibson version because the Epi was every bit as good and the Gibson was worth at least three times as much.