Why become a member? ×

Another Weird Bass Guitar

DaveAlex_ZAR

I have seriously gotta stop buying strange stuff....

Anyone know anything about the Belarus made Bass, the guy I bought it from calls it a Borisov, not much on the net.

Action is a bit high, so will look at setting that down, but seems to hold tune and could do with new strings..... and before anyone asks... here is some pics

1744306259_bass1.thumb.jpg.740bfc7b787328c8efcc03f5ed9e8ef5.jpg

1492578033_bas2.thumb.jpg.6d1400fb1f0b69cbbe55025e4205a6b5.jpg1833700111_bass3.thumb.jpg.61844fc02314cc61103368024f29aa60.jpg

Edited by DaveAlex_ZAR
  • Like 2

i was just browsing the web and saw this thing on offer.... stranger the better...my neighbor fixes up guitars for spare cash, so I will try and get it sounding a bit better, intonation seems off, but the neck is straight.

Its in mint condition,.

• Like 1

Well, after trawling though pages and pages of useless articles (I thought Google knew everything, or is that the ex), I can find very little info about this Belarus Bass I got my paws on, the previous owner called it a borisov, but Borisov Bass comes up with something that doesn't look quite like mine.

So, fellow pickers, fingerers, pluckers and slappers... anyone know any info on Belarus Bass guitars?

Oh, I found what looks like a serial number (just three numbers 682)

My first question would be - is the lettering on the headstock definitely original? I'd guess the seller described it as a Borisov because it looks like that's the only known Soviet-era Belarusian guitar manufacturer.

Like most Cold War era Eastern European stuff, there's not too much info and not many examples - most of the Borisovs do look a lot earlier in design than yours, I'd assume 70s, and heavily influenced by 60s design. Your bass is interesting in that it's a pretty blatant copy of a mid-80s Ibanez Roadstar so that probably dates it to around '84-'85.

I'd send pics & info to Cheesyguitars.com, they have a specific section for unidentified instruments & that's probably your best bet for finding an ID. Don't be surprised if you come away with GAS for more Soviet-era oddities, though!

Thanks for the comments Bassassin,  it got me thinking that perhaps its not a Borisov, but is connected with Belarus. So switched the Google search over and low and behold.....  on Reverb its listed (without a picture) as a Belarus Bass, In production from 1993-1997 only 3000 ever made.

https://reverb.com/uk/news/guide-to-soviet-era-guitars

WHich lead me to an obscure picture of the head of a bass.... with the same cheesy writing, and the blogspot article has it all including a manual (in Russian)

https://sgerasimuk.blogspot.com/2013/04/bass-guitar-belarus-1990.html

Theres on for sale on ebay for $299, with $90 shipping (I paid a lot less than that, and shipping was a car drive)

So unless your a collector, not sure I would recommend, but I have it set up OK.... just so damn heavy. 

Now I wish I could find the same on that Romaxe.,

Thanks for the Reverb link, will bookmark that, lots of interesting info - really like the pink one on Ebay!

Re: the Romaxe, a bit more info turns up if you search for Emex guitar - seems Matt Bellamy from Muse played these a while back. Digging a bit more, Emex was Europeam Music Express, from the Czech Republic and these were apparently designed by Jerry Auerswald - who was the designer behind Prince's "symbol" guitar.

I'm even more jealous now! :D

I had the Commie Bass plugged in this morning, just on a Peavey practice amp and an overdrive pedal. Didn't sound terrible but the thickness of the neck is so damn noticeable. Just ran a few riffs and scales up and down to check I had the tone better. For £60, I reckon I can practice with it and it will be a good conversation piece when my mates come about.  Thanks again for your help Bassassin

I have called in my Russian better half to read the details from the manual, The model of the bass is " Belarus" , most of the manual is the usual details you'd expect, 
like length, number of octaves achievable etc and like the amount of certain metals and stuff.

She  says  what specfically did you need reading from it it's a lot of technical language, I'm not gonna translate it without significant effort