Why become a member? ×

Hi , 

I've just excitedly put on a spanking new set of strings, and whilst the G, D, and A are all really zingy, the E is flabby and dull after only playing for around half an hour. 

What's strange, is that they're exactly the same set as the old ones I've just taken off, including the gauge. There weren't any issues with the last set at all. They're D'Addario NYXL 45-100, so not the cheapest strings available. 

I just wandered if anyone has had a similar issues, or has any suggestions on something I'm missing?

Cheers

It isn't uncommon. In more than 10 years using D'Addarios i've had one new set come in with a dead B string. Contacted seller and a replacement string was in the mail free of charge the next day. Like someone mentioned, PM D'Addario UK in this forum, it will be faster to get the issue pointed out to them and i'm sure they will solve it ASAP.

3 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Hey Adam..

We're used to Andy being the rep...is he still with D'Addario?

I assumed this responsibility about 12 months or so ago (I did post about it somewhere...).
Andy recently left the company, so unfortunately you all have to deal with me hah!

Adam.

On 07/06/2018 at 16:10, D'Addario UK said:

I assumed this responsibility about 12 months or so ago (I did post about it somewhere...).
Andy recently left the company, so unfortunately you all have to deal with me hah!

Adam.

Hi Adam,

What are your companies thoughts on cutting the string to length before installing. I have never had an issue with this after using your strings for 15years but other companies mention about the potential of the core wire slipping when you cut them.

I don't think Adam has been on in a while - I haven't had a reply from a PM either. 

Regarding cutting - I usually do a test fit but don't tune up to pitch, just enough to assess where to cut. Then I remove from the peg, cut and fit properly with the end tucked down the middle if the peg.

Cheers Breadbin. That's fair enough. 

Re cutting, I've been playing for around 30 years, and I cut the string exactly the same way, and the same length as the last set of strings. I always go for 3 wraps round the post with no overlaps. I'm not sure if it was a problem with the cutting of the string which is at fault in the this instance though.

1 hour ago, dyerseve said:

Hi Adam,

What are your companies thoughts on cutting the string to length before installing. I have never had an issue with this after using your strings for 15years but other companies mention about the potential of the core wire slipping when you cut them.

I allways cut the tip of the strings. I'm sure they're cut during manufacturing also so i don't see how it can affect the core. Never had one brake or slip. I allways make sure i gan get 2 to 3 turns around the tunning post plus the bit the goes inside the center of the post.

On 15/06/2018 at 13:13, dyerseve said:

Hi Adam,

Hi man.
I've never had an issue and this is unlikely to cause an issue.

As we use hex shaped cores this is much less likely than on a round core. I've personally never heard of any of our strings slipping, even under abuse.