Why become a member? ×

NBD PJ Content

yorks5stringer

Just got this from another Bass Forum member for considerably less than £300!^_^

It's a 2005 Standard Squier in a metallic red and plays very well. Some issues with a dodgy pot ( disclosed) and non original scratchplate and I've never seen a neck plate so scratched. Think the original owner must have had a rotary wire brush for a belt buckle! Possibly a Jazz Bass neck at 38mm wide, my other P's are 40mm.

P1040830.thumb.JPG.a8991f978625a0a3a1f6da635b8f276a.JPG

I bought one of those, same colour too (but original whiteish pickguard) last year [*]

Really nice. It was incredibly light too. Good buy! :)

[*] actually it wasn't for me. My girlfriend plays bass a bit and she's been looking for another bass as the one she had just wasn't what she liked. One day she told me she had seen a beautiful bass on the window of a second hand shop, went in and tried it, and she fell in love: it was very light, it played very nicely, sounded good... So she was a bit short of cash at the time, but she hoped to go in a week or so and buy it. She had taken pictures. I just made some appreciative noises without looking too impressed... but I thought I knew where the shop was, so next day I went on the hunt. I found it, tried it and bought it... then kept it for nearly 2 months until her birthday :D 

• Like 1

I have 2 spare pickguards: one an original white aged 93 Crafted in J and the other a non OEM grey pearl. Trouble is the pickups are slightly larger than the CJ and I don't want to damage it by enlarging it. The guy who sold me this said it looks better with a black guard but one can get a looka likey white for for £15.

nifty streamlined version of a classic, lightweight indeed and not shy of tone, maybe the most friendly neck / fretboard out of my dozen. BUT, I strongly suggest you carefully remove the garbage cast and skinny neck plate screws then replace with real steel. I had a screw head come off with no effort at the most critical point on a bass! but these are fun sticks and great mod platforms, flatwounds should suit these VMs even better.

Edited by Bass V

3 hours ago, Bass V said:

nifty streamlined version of a classic, lightweight indeed and not shy of tone, maybe the most friendly neck / fretboard out of my dozen. BUT, I strongly suggest you carefully remove the garbage cast and skinny neck plate screws then replace with real steel. I had a screw head come off with no effort at the most critical point on a bass! but these are fun sticks and great mod platforms, flatwounds should suit these VMs even better.

It's not a VM.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

So I either leave the' cast and skinny' screws alone, or try and remove them and risk a head breaking off....sleepless nights ahead😨

LOL yes! if you're out gigging hard do so at your own risk cos I can see a neck coming off in a moment of high expression. I doubt you'll have one pop off like mine, but this is a real thing and I was pretty shocked at the inexcusable cheapness at a high stress point. this is my standard PSA on the issue cos I care LOL good luck!

6 hours ago, Bass V said:

I'd bet most Squiers are similarly outfitted with insufficient hardware 

That's the thing... owner of multiple Squiers over the years and never a problem with their screws (touch... wood? steel? :D )

(Yet my first Maruszczyk... the pickup mounting screws were made of cheese)

Edited by mcnach

au contraire, others have mentioned the same issues I encountered once the the concerns were brought up, it's just not talked about much.

I guess we can add expensive basses too, that's rather shocking!

Edited by Bass V

23 hours ago, Bass V said:

au contraire, others have mentioned the same issues I encountered once the the concerns were brought up, it's just not talked about much.

I guess we can add expensive basses too, that's rather shocking!

I can't imagine it's that big of a deal... they sell Squier instruments by the thousands, and how many had their neck come off?

As for the Maruszczyk... I was not impressed. I could not believe they would aim to save a few pennies that way. I was trying to undo one of the screws, and it was very tight... so I made sure I had the right head screwdriver so that I would not damage it... applied force... nothing... a bit more... and it started to move. Only it was the metal starting to shear. Cheese, I tell you, that screw was made of cheese :D

31 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I can't imagine it's that big of a deal... they sell Squier instruments by the thousands, and how many had their neck come off?

we don't know and it may be 0 but I'd rather be safe than sorry, especially on stage. in the grand scheme most will never notice... until that moment! LOL

2 hours ago, Bass V said:

we don't know and it may be 0 but I'd rather be safe than sorry, especially on stage. in the grand scheme most will never notice... until that moment! LOL

well... I'm going to be using a bass just like the one in the OP at one of my next gigs (my girlfriend's bass, she wants me to use it live)... I bet that because of this thread NOW it'll fail :D

(don't think so ;)  I'll report back)

2 hours ago, mcnach said:

well... I'm going to be using a bass just like the one in the OP at one of my next gigs (my girlfriend's bass, she wants me to use it live)... I bet that because of this thread NOW it'll fail :D

(don't think so ;)  I'll report back)

LOL nah, just keep at a Flea level or less and you'll be back for more! but a clip of the gig would be cool 😎

2 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

Won't the 3 existing screws ( assuming the worst happens) be able to stop the neck flying over my shoulder and taking out the drummer?

I'd put up one of those full plexi sound screens around the kit if you're risking it that far! LOL

Edited by Bass V