Why become a member? ×

What's up with the Mrs?

itsmedunc

Is it wrong that I don't actually know how many basses I have? They're stored in various hidey holes, living room, dining room, in cases in the workshop, in our rented rehearsal basement and a few in pieces "mid project". 

7 minutes ago, Maude said:

Is it wrong that I don't actually know how many basses I have? They're stored in various hidey holes, living room, dining room, in cases in the workshop, in our rented rehearsal basement and a few in pieces "mid project". 

I've bought a cheap Squier, hung it on the wall for a while and changed it for an identical Fender before now, without her noticing! This is where having a waterslide Fender decal hanging around in plain sight becomes very important. It's the back up plan if she does notice. Make sure you get rid of it and the Squier on the day of the "switch" though. 😎

19 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Basses hidden in Belgium ? that's a bit extreme. I keep all my gear in spare room that is my man cave and lighting rig in heated garage. Those are designated men areas :biggrin:

I do enjoy complaining about all the shoes or boots she leaves lying in our hallway at front door or at the back garden door. That usually gets me an evil look of distain or a quick snap of i'm using them soon...........all 4 pairs within the next 2 hrs :D

You gotta have some fun in life you know.:P

There are no designated "man" areas in my house. It's all taken up by her shoes. I can't fit anything in my wardrobe for her clothes and shoes. Anyone looking in there would think I was a secret cross-dresser! :lol:

1 minute ago, itsmedunc said:

There are no designated "man" areas in my house. It's all taken up by her shoes. I can't fit anything in my wardrobe for her clothes and shoes. Anyone looking in there would think I was a secret cross-dresser! :lol:

Are you ??? :laugh1:

Try dropping hints about her shoes and clothes (and don't forget the hanbags to match the shoes) invading the house. If she can have more than one pair of shoes or one handbag then why can't you have more than one bass, more than one amp, one bass cab, one PA 

I think you might be onto something with this train of thought............failing that Premier Inns have cheap rooms most nights until she calms down. :laugh1:

Dave😊

• Haha 1

The problem I used to have with Mr Josie (before he became abusive and I had to move out) was not how much stuff we each had, but how we kept it. I had at the point I moved out  - in the house  - about 4 basses, 3 guitars, and 2 amps, all in my broom-cupboard "3rd bedroom" music room. (Also 2 basses at work and one in Nashville - that's another story...*) I own three pairs of shoes and no handbags 🙂

He had a relatively small amount of walking and climbing gear, which absolutely had to be strewn about underfoot everywhere.

* The bass in Nashville is my beloved 1966 Gibson EB2, which my son who lives there is "looking after" for me, and which I don't expect ever to bring back to the UK. Too fragile and valuable. He has her hanging in pride of place on the wall, he loves her almost as much as I do. I try to go back twice a year to play her as much as to play with the grand-sprogs 🙂

• Like 4

8 hours ago, josie said:

I own three pairs of shoes and no handbags 🙂

It’s only fair to warn you that you may be exposing yourself to the unsolicited attentions of the entire singles faction of BC. Next you’ll be telling us that when you want or hope for something from your partner, your simply ask them instead of expecting them to know instinctively 🤪.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, lowregisterhead said:

Get her down to the gig, give her a tambourine and start calling her 'Janine'.

Alas, after her once being married to a drummer for 12 years, she has virtually no sense of timing. It's irreversible I'm afraid. However, she can do a damned good Joe Strummer esque 'howl'! This is accompanied by her mate doing her scarily life like seal 'honk'! As you can imagine, breaks between songs are highly entertaining! :lol:

I was about to do a deal and sell my Tanglewater Elite via FB as someone had posted that they wanted one - deal had almost been finalised although no money had changed hands and Mrs Saint said 'oh, don't sell that bass, it's got lovely wood grain on it', to which I replied 'I'm just about to buy another one and this one won't get played'. She then said 'sell it to me and then you'll still do one in, one out' (she doesn't play bass).  I had to message the chap back and say 'really sorry, the deal's off' and explained why - he found it quite funny as well.

Having said that, Mrs Saint won't talk to the former drummer in the band, as he bought a new drum kit and wouldn't confess to his wife that he had bought it, so it was stored in my house for 2 years.  Eventually after veiled threats from Mrs Saint about bonfires, he had to sell his old kit, and pretend to his wife that the one at my house was mine and that he was buying it . . .

• Like 1

I have two cabs and a practice amp on my "spare room"... And a laptop bag with an amp head in it, my pedal bag, the boxes for all my pedals, three basses in cases under the bed, an acoustic in a case under the bed, a shoe box of cables etc. And some other loose items. It's not entirely messy but the Mrs hates it and I understand that completely. When our daughter grows out of her tiny nursery Room, or is pushed out by another sprog in future then the spare room will be hers and my bass kit needs to go. It's often brought up in arguments so I'm working on moving gear that goes to gigs only such as the cabs going in to the loft (my garage leaks sadly) but I want loft ladders fitting which will mean dreaded building works! I try to never leave kit in the hallway or even just lying around in the spare room because it will cause stress. This means I never play my acoustic and I rarely practice my bass. Can't win.

Getting quotes for an extension soon...

2 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

I have two cabs and a practice amp on my "spare room"... And a laptop bag with an amp head in it, my pedal bag, the boxes for all my pedals, three basses in cases under the bed, an acoustic in a case under the bed, a shoe box of cables etc. And some other loose items. It's not entirely messy but the Mrs hates it and I understand that completely. When our daughter grows out of her tiny nursery Room, or is pushed out by another sprog in future then the spare room will be hers and my bass kit needs to go. It's often brought up in arguments so I'm working on moving gear that goes to gigs only such as the cabs going in to the loft (my garage leaks sadly) but I want loft ladders fitting which will mean dreaded building works! I try to never leave kit in the hallway or even just lying around in the spare room because it will cause stress. This means I never play my acoustic and I rarely practice my bass. Can't win.

Looks like it's years in the wilderness for you too! When we moved here, there wasn't a great deal of storage area. I nabbed under the stairs but it had to be used for cak and the hoover instead. I then boarded the loft as a man hideaway. Soon that was taken from me for things like - empty boxes and other useless and meaningless stuff. So, I extended from the kitchen and built a conservatory which I used for a short to time before being moved on. That may sound fair to some but we virtually never use the conservatory.

On the end of the conservatory there is what used to be the old brick store that I'd incorporated into the conservatory. Separate door. That was full of old tat really so I cleared it and made a little room. Just big enough for my gear and a little studio setup. Then the Mrs wanted a downstairs shower and loo. So, the little room was transformed into a downstairs bathroom.

I then went one better and split a large bedroom into 2, giving us 4 bedrooms, giving me a music room. Success! No. She then wanted a spare bedroom for guests who we virtually never have as our 4 dogs, although lovely and friendly, are a handful for unsuspecting guests. They rule the roost!

I then nabbed a small dark nook for the PA that appeared during the bedroom split. She wanted shelving there instead. Well, still wants shelves there as I haven't got round to it and when I do, the PA will then be truly homeless! All the other bits are under beds that have storage that I specially got to hide the equipment. You guessed it, my gear is taking up the room under the beds that she wants for other stuff!

There is no winning. Only scoring the odd point by doing things like leaving the PA cabs in the hall for a couple of days!

3 minutes ago, itsmedunc said:

Looks like it's years in the wilderness for you too! When we moved here, there wasn't a great deal of storage area. I nabbed under the stairs but it had to be used for cak and the hoover instead. I then boarded the loft as a man hideaway. Soon that was taken from me for things like - empty boxes and other useless and meaningless stuff. So, I extended from the kitchen and built a conservatory which I used for a short to time before being moved on. That may sound fair to some but we virtually never use the conservatory.

On the end of the conservatory there is what used to be the old brick store that I'd incorporated into the conservatory. Separate door. That was full of old tat really so I cleared it and made a little room. Just big enough for my gear and a little studio setup. Then the Mrs wanted a downstairs shower and loo. So, the little room was transformed into a downstairs bathroom.

I then went one better and split a large bedroom into 2, giving us 4 bedrooms, giving me a music room. Success! No. She then wanted a spare bedroom for guests who we virtually never have as our 4 dogs, although lovely and friendly, are a handful for unsuspecting guests. They rule the roost!

I then nabbed a small dark nook for the PA that appeared during the bedroom split. She wanted shelving there instead. Well, still wants shelves there as I haven't got round to it and when I do, the PA will then be truly homeless! All the other bits are under beds that have storage that I specially got to hide the equipment. You guessed it, my gear is taking up the room under the beds that she wants for other stuff!

There is no winning. Only scoring the odd point by doing things like leaving the PA cabs in the hall for a couple of days!

Tough one. But you need to stand your ground and tell her you need a music room. Being a bass player is part of your life and you need to have the proper conditions for that activity. If she says there's no space available then tell her you need to build one that can't be taken by anything else. Probably you should have taken this stand in the past in one of the occasions you had to lose your room but there's still time to get it again. Tell her that with a dedicated music room you can have all your gear stored there out of her way and you can rehearse/learn new songs in a closed space where she won't have to put up with your noise. good luck!

1 minute ago, Ghost_Bass said:

Tough one. But you need to stand your ground and tell her you need a music room. Being a bass player is part of your life and you need to have the proper conditions for that activity. If she says there's no space available then tell her you need to build one that can't be taken by anything else. Probably you should have taken this stand in the past in one of the occasions you had to lose your room but there's still time to get it again. Tell her that with a dedicated music room you can have all your gear stored there out of her way and you can rehearse/learn new songs in a closed space where she won't have to put up with your noise. good luck!

That would work for me if I wasn't paying St Albans house prices. I think the only solution is a powered she'd at the bottom of the garden!

1 minute ago, uk_lefty said:

That would work for me if I wasn't paying St Albans house prices. I think the only solution is a powered she'd at the bottom of the garden!

And why not? If you have the space and are willing to spend a bit insulating it and making it more comfortable it's a valid solution with the plus side that you'll be making noise outside of the house :) 

1 minute ago, Ghost_Bass said:

And why not? If you have the space and are willing to spend a bit insulating it and making it more comfortable it's a valid solution with the plus side that you'll be making noise outside of the house :) 

I think it's the only way! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

You don't normally need planning permission to install a loft ladder. Unless its a listed house of historic value kind of thing.

Loft isn't ideal as gets very cold in winter and extremely hot in summer.

Are you talking proper loft conversion as a live in space or just to floor it with access ladder mainly as a storage area. ?

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

Sorry, by "building works" I meant someone cutting out the hatch space to be much bigger and then install the ladders and a new hatch. I am useless with anything DIY based so while people may mostly do these kind of jobs themselves I won't even attempt it.

Edited by uk_lefty