Why become a member? ×

What's up with the Mrs?

itsmedunc

I used to get grief many years ago when I lived with my ex girlfriend about the combo amp that lived in the corner of the living room of our small one bedroom flat. I had nowhere else to put it really but eventually managed to find room to accommodate it in the cupboard under the stairs (which involved building a shoe rack to put on the triangular shaped wall above it).

Imagine my joy when I came home one night to find a running machine occupying the space in the living room where my amp had been...

• Haha 4

On 01/06/2018 at 23:48, itsmedunc said:

We live in a deceivingly large terraced house. My stuff really consists of musically related gear. Guitars on walls and everything else hidden under beds and in dark corners. Apart from my iMac which I'm told is too big as well! :dash1: There's really only us two in the house and we have fleeting visits from the two lads. 4 bedrooms, 2 receptions, conservatory. loft etc etc. Loads of room really. The lads still have their own rooms even though they are never really here. One's at Uni but nothing can be put in his room. The other is a phantom and mysteriously comes and goes and the same rules apply. The spare bedroom has to be kept as a spare too, "just in case".  I've been moved around in circles for years! :D Gets a bit much though when the dogs have designated space and I don't! Even though we have room. I think she just wants the other band members to keep it at theirs and so causes problems when seen!. No way the rest are getting their hands on my FR800's though! Oh, I do have a Roland kit in the conservatory that is also causing controversy!

Have you tried growing a pair. I did and now sing with a very high voice. I guess sacrifice is part of being in a band.:laugh1:

I'm lucky as we have 4 bedrooms too. The smaller being my bass cave and any other hobbies i might have. She has the 2nd largest spare room for her "stuff" and like you even the 4 cats have a spare room that is bigger than mine. Conservatory is common ground tho.

I like the view that everything else in the house is hers. I tried that approach once and stated that everything was hers and i was just a lodger. In fact there was no evidence i even lived there. No pics with me in them and all more feminine artifacts and ornaments around the house. Over next few months i noted pics with me in them appearing. Harley Davidson ornaments that had been in a box started appearing in corners and even a small Warwick Thumb copy bass was eventually put on display so that might work a  bit...........or she could ask you to leave altogether. 50/50 on how that goes :biggrin:

Dave

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Did you people not investigate what your other half was like before moving in with them?? :D

Fully investigated but obviously she is part of a greater conspiracy. I should have known really. Her mother is a very tidy person. 😂😞

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Have you tried growing a pair. I did and now sing with a very high voice. I guess sacrifice is part of being in a band.:laugh1:

I'm lucky as we have 4 bedrooms too. The smaller being my bass cave and any other hobbies i might have. She has the 2nd largest spare room for her "stuff" and like you even the 4 cats have a spare room that is bigger than mine. Conservatory is common ground tho.

I like the view that everything else in the house is hers. I tried that approach once and stated that everything was hers and i was just a lodger. In fact there was no evidence i even lived there. No pics with me in them and all more feminine artifacts and ornaments around the house. Over next few months i noted pics with me in them appearing. Harley Davidson ornaments that had been in a box started appearing in corners and even a small Warwick Thumb copy bass was eventually put on display so that might work a  bit...........or she could ask you to leave altogether. 50/50 on how that goes :biggrin:

Dave

I've said that I'm only a lodger too! Maybe I should give her the going rate for a lodger and stop tipping up it all!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Woodinblack said:

I have often found that the tidyness alternates between generations, as people sort of rebel against the way they were brought up!

She's not tidy herself but can't help 'noticing' when other folk aren't. Perhaps it's part of a gradual change or she's been replaced by a Reptilian? 🦎

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, itsmedunc said:

I've said that I'm only a lodger too! Maybe I should give her the going rate for a lodger and stop tipping up it all!

Have to point out that my comments were made in jest to my wife. She is in no way a controlling type of person and would readily let me put bass things on display ........... if it made sense which of course it wouldn't :lol: :dash1:

Only kidding 

Dave

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Have to point out that my comments were made in jest to my wife. She is in no way a controlling type of person and would readily let me put bass things on display ........... if it made sense which of course it wouldn't :lol: :dash1:

Several of my basses hang in the living room on display. However, only 'the ones that aren't ugly' are allowed there!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Only kidding 

Dave

This post was clearly written under duress. Lads, dmcombe7 is being held hostage and I think it our duty as the BC massive to mount an attempt to free him 😀

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, itsmedunc said:

I've deliberately left 2 cabs in the hallway and there's not been a murmur from her. She must be a secret member of BC and has read this post! Anybody noticed a new member called "The Vampire"? 

Best sleep with one eye open :shok:

I know i need help but that's been the case for many years :laugh1:

Oops she's coming up the hallway ..........better shut BC down just in case i'm caught browsing again. 9_9

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, musicbassman said:

Nearly caught engaged in NSFW browsing.........

.......................browsing for a Nine String Fretless Wal, of course - what were you thinking ?

I had to google that and have now changed my wording accordingly so as not to look stupid. :lol:

Edited by dmccombe7

8 hours ago, musicbassman said:

Nearly caught engaged in NSFW browsing.........

.......................browsing for a Nine String Fretless Wal, of course - what were you thinking ?

My guess is that here at BC, you’re more likely to be spurned for the latter than the former.😏

18 hours ago, itsmedunc said:

I've deliberately left 2 cabs in the hallway and there's not been a murmur from her. She must be a secret member of BC and has read this post! Anybody noticed a new member called "The Vampire"? 

Why? If you have a designated space to store your gear why leave it in the way on purpose? If you keep your gear stored everytime you have the time/chance it will be more likely that your missus won't bother you about gear left in the hallway in those rare occasions she may find it there. 
Regarding the OP, only solution i see to that question is to move the gear directly from the storage to the boot of the car without stopping in the hall. Or rent a storage unit far away from your house whre you can grow your collection without her knowlege :D 

Good luck!

52 minutes ago, Ghost_Bass said:

Why? If you have a designated space to store your gear why leave it in the way on purpose? If you keep your gear stored everytime you have the time/chance it will be more likely that your missus won't bother you about gear left in the hallway in those rare occasions she may find it there. 
Regarding the OP, only solution i see to that question is to move the gear directly from the storage to the boot of the car without stopping in the hall. Or rent a storage unit far away from your house whre you can grow your collection without her knowlege :D 

Good luck!

Its an experiment! I’ve done the storage thing in the past. I’ve had basses hidden in Belgium before now! Rebel streak kicking back in I think!

• Haha 1

Basses hidden in Belgium ? that's a bit extreme. I keep all my gear in spare room that is my man cave and lighting rig in heated garage. Those are designated men areas :biggrin:

I do enjoy complaining about all the shoes or boots she leaves lying in our hallway at front door or at the back garden door. That usually gets me an evil look of distain or a quick snap of i'm using them soon...........all 4 pairs within the next 2 hrs :D

You gotta have some fun in life you know.:P