Why become a member? ×

What's up with the Mrs?

itsmedunc

Gigging tomorrow so got the PA out of it's hiding place and put it in the hall ready. First thing the Mrs says is - "That's a lot of equipment". That's her way of complaining. She'll be on one dropping subtle hints soon until she can stand no more and then really start complaining. Happens every gig! :D

In the hallway there is - 2x Barefaced FR800's and the stands (compact and lightweight stands), an Ashdown MiBass 1x10 combo and matching 1x10 extension speaker, 2 basses in gig bags, 2x bar lights (each are no bigger than a telecasters in gig bags, poles for the lights (as big as a pool cue in a case), 1x cabin sized suitcase with leads in. 1x laptop bag with mics etc in and a Behringer X18 in it's original box (which is smaller than a shoe box), 2x mic stands and 2 extension leads. All of this would fit in an old style phone box with room for a dwarf to live happily on top. All of it (apart from the basses and poles) will fit in the back part of my little Peugeot 207 estate with the back seats still up! 

In terms of PA, I've done everything I can think of to have less bulk and still have a decent band PA. Yet, she still thinks there's too much equipment. I honestly believe there is very little equipment for a gigging band and it doesn't get in the way at home. It's all tucked away and mostly out of sight.

How on earth can I make a PA with lights for a 5 piece band, that has 4 vocals, 2 guitars, bass and drums all going through it any blinking smaller!!! I think I've done bloody well! Usually would use in ears too but unfortunately no can do tomorrow. In my younger days my bass gear alone took up more space.

Anyone got any earth shattering ideas that doesn't involve a hitman?

36 minutes ago, itsmedunc said:

...Anyone got any earth shattering ideas...

How about 'phoning a bloke I know that does ...

36 minutes ago, itsmedunc said:

...that doesn't involve a hitman?

Oh, sorry; no, forget it. :$

xD 

7 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Have you tried offering to help carry the stuff to the car, you know, don't leave it all for her to do?

I mean, don't strain yourself, obviously ...

He would have to wait till she's finished cleaning it first .

Edited by lurksalot
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Have you tried offering to help carry the stuff to the car, you know, don't leave it all for her to do?

I mean, don't strain yourself, obviously ...

I can't let her carry all that! She'll be too busy ironing my Rock 'n' Roll outfit :D

A folding four-panel screen/room divider, cunningly papered over on one side with a full-sized photo of the hallway wall. Open it up around the junk PA stacked up there and it'll all 'disappear'; she'll be none the wiser. ;)

Either that or a Harry Potter cloak. :|

• Haha 3

Mr Josie would no more ever challenge any of my stuff than I would his. I really don't want to judge or stereotype, but it's hard not to. What is the overall balance of stuff in the house? Yours is all tidyly packed away apart from a few minutes before and after each gig, is hers the same?

My daughter-in-law told my son he couldn't have the guitar he wanted because there wasn't room. I gave him one, and somehow there was room. Then there wasn't room for an electric guitar and a small amp until I made those appear. They're now moving to a larger house with a garage which she has agreed will be made into a sound-proofed music room. (Ok they needed a larger house as the grand-sprogs were growing up anyway, but she did concede that space for music gear was also important.) That may be an extreme or impractical solution... 

2 minutes ago, josie said:

Mr Josie would no more ever challenge any of my stuff than I would his. I really don't want to judge or stereotype, but it's hard not to. What is the overall balance of stuff in the house? Yours is all tidyly packed away apart from a few minutes before and after each gig, is hers the same?

My daughter-in-law told my son he couldn't have the guitar he wanted because there wasn't room. I gave him one, and somehow there was room. Then there wasn't room for an electric guitar and a small amp until I made those appear. They're now moving to a larger house with a garage which she has agreed will be made into a sound-proofed music room. (Ok they needed a larger house as the grand-sprogs were growing up anyway, but she did concede that space for music gear was also important.) That may be an extreme or impractical solution... 

We live in a deceivingly large terraced house. My stuff really consists of musically related gear. Guitars on walls and everything else hidden under beds and in dark corners. Apart from my iMac which I'm told is too big as well! :dash1: There's really only us two in the house and we have fleeting visits from the two lads. 4 bedrooms, 2 receptions, conservatory. loft etc etc. Loads of room really. The lads still have their own rooms even though they are never really here. One's at Uni but nothing can be put in his room. The other is a phantom and mysteriously comes and goes and the same rules apply. The spare bedroom has to be kept as a spare too, "just in case".  I've been moved around in circles for years! :D Gets a bit much though when the dogs have designated space and I don't! Even though we have room. I think she just wants the other band members to keep it at theirs and so causes problems when seen!. No way the rest are getting their hands on my FR800's though! Oh, I do have a Roland kit in the conservatory that is also causing controversy!

• Sad 1

Hmm.. we live in a deceivingly small semi detached house. It is so full of stuff. Her stuff sometimes annoys me because its in my way. My stuff sometimes annoys her because its in her way. If it is in the way, and has been left in the way for 'too long' (whatever that is considered to be in that case), the other will say 'do you want a hand moving this stuff?' to which the answer is 'oh no, I was just going to move that dont worry'. and then it gets moved :D

Because, you know, give and take, and luckily, neither of us are tidy.

However, if I am getting stuff ready to go to a gig then that doesn't matter as that is just temporary (and when I come back knackered it will stay in the hall until the next day as I can't be bothered to carry it anywhere).

7 hours ago, itsmedunc said:

............I think she just wants the other band members to keep it at theirs and so causes problems when seen!. No way the rest are getting their hands on my FR800's though! Oh, I do have a Roland kit in the conservatory that is also causing controversy!

2 minutes ago, thebigyin said:

Simple buy more gear

That's nearly the answer

the trick here is to borrow loads of gear.

store the extra very important band kit for a few days and then arrange for the other band members to look after it and share the burden of kit storage.

give the the gear back to where you borrowed it from and everyone's happy

:hi: 

20 hours ago, itsmedunc said:

Anyone got any earth shattering ideas that doesn't involve a hitman?

Have I read this right, your wife doesn't like you dumping your gear in the hall?

So don't do it.

Sometimes my gear sits in the hall but usually I'll load the car without using the hall as a staging post and I always put the gear away after a gig.

My wife's pretty good. She has more stuff dotted around the house than I do so we have an equilibrium. But as I have commandeered a biggish part of the front room for my gear my aim is  to keep life as confrontation free as I can.