Why become a member? ×

Acoustic Guitar Strings

Hobbayne

I have got myself an acoustic guitar to work out songs and chords etc.

It wasnt a top of the range one, but it does the job.

Apart from the strings! They are horrible cheese wire type things which rip my fingers to shreds.

Anyone play acoustic and can recommend some strings? Its even more confusing than bass strings in the string shops! O.o

I know this a bass players forum but I couldnt find 'Acoustic Guitar Chat'  xD.

for about 10 years i only used D'addario EJ26, which are 11's, i then went to EJ16's which are 12's on the advice of a couple of friends,  but for the last 10 years i've exclusively used Newtone Heritage 12's, they're lower tension, balanced and have a fantastic tone as well as the perfect feel. as a bonus they seem to last longer than the D'addario's which more than offsets the higher cost.

https://www.newtonestrings.com/shop/heritage-series-acoustic-6-string/

I've introduced a few friends to these strings and they've always had compliments and many have switched to them (i buy 12 sets at a time and share the order with our guitarist)

Martin Phosphor Bronze are a good cheap set that sound good.

However, if you want a set of strings that will last, and that sound great, then get a set of Thomastik Plectrum Bronze. They aren't cheap, but they are worth every penny.

@Briton, I think he's talking about 6-string acoustic guitar, not acoustic bass.

I've used D'Addario phosphor bronze for years and years and mostly use EJ16s. I have one guitar which usually has 10s due to it's advanced age , but even that has been furnished with some EJ16s for a Bb tuning (Bb F Bb F Bb C )

I think they're the best combination of sound, price and long-life. I have tried the coated, they last 3 times as long and cost 3 times as much, but you only get that lovely brand new string feeling once every 3 sets.

@pete.young it might be worth trying the Newtone heritage strings on your guitar of advanced age, they have a much lower total tension than most of the strings on the market (i seem to remember that the 12's have a total tension lower than a D'addario 11's set) the lower tension is of importance to me as my beloved cedar-top McIlroy came with a note stating that fitting anything heavier than standard 12's invalidates the warranty. 

Matt 

• 2 weeks later...