Why become a member? ×

June Composition Challenge - GET WRITING

Skol303

This is the first time I have had a crack at this little monthly comp, but I have had my home studio up and running for a couple of weeks now so thought i would through my oar in the pond. The picture just reminded me of our cat and this is what i think is going through her head as she struts around the house, her name is 'Bootsy; by the way...

• Like 5

Here is my contribution to the June 2018 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by last month's winner: Mornats.
Not a good month for me; there are only strained, tenuous links to the picture (the 9/8 rhythm and the virtual 'cats'...). All Kontakt stuff: a 60's drum kit, a nice nylon guitar and some Blue 'singing', created in Reaper with minimal treatment, and mastered with AAMS, 'Country' preset. Modest; it is what it is.
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

• Like 4

I had precious little time this month so this was my demo that I hastily extended with some randomness and bashed out. I tried to see the blackout from the cat's perspective during a bit of an air raid. I was hoping to do something that started in 9/8, then changed to 8/8, 7/8 and so on, counting down the lives of the cat in the time signature. It probably would have sounded awful so kinda glad I didn't have time. Also glad that Douglas managed to get the 9/8 idea in :)

Strings are the new Spitfire Labs free strings with oodles of Izotope Vinyl on them. Lots of weird Sound Dust stuff on there too.

• Like 1

A last minute effort using my usual tactic of blind panic and desperation !

So to briefly outline the scene for this one:

Wartime, a young lad has lost his family and is wandering round in a daze taking in the sight of the rubble that used to be the street he lives on. Suddenly he notices a badly injured cat, approaches it, then gently picks it up. He can see the cat is dying but gently comforts it in his arms, stroking it and talking to it to sooth it until it passes away in his arms.

I think the point I am trying to make with this piece is to illustrate how humans are so capable of creating so much destruction and mayhem, yet so capable of displaying deep compassion and caring.... or something like that !

You can all go and cry into your pint down the pub now :D

* no cats were harmed during the making of this music, I did however have to feed mine a few times*

Enjoy !

The Fragile

Edited by Bleat
  • Like 1

• Skol303 pinned and unpinned this topic