Why become a member? ×

Rock music peaked in 1971

Al Krow

49 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I'm a fan of Prog and used to think Prog peaked in 70's with Genesis & Floyd but over last 10 years i started reading the Prog mag and the free CD's gave me an insight into some fantastic bands i thought had retired many years before and some other "new" Prog bands i'd simply never heard off. 

I often have issues with modern proggers much like I did back in the '60s and '70s, such as most of the Italian bands were too operatic, but when it's good it's great. France, Poland, the Czechs, the Dutch etc. had incredible stuff going and actually got recorded to insane degrees, tons of output but mostly unknown. I've always been huge on (forgive the term) Krautrock with Amon Duul II and CAN being top shelf but two of my Euro faves whom I believe are still going strong are Agitation Free and Ozric Tentacles, I could live on those two alone. Ax Gengrich, guitarist formerly of Agitation Free is rather special as are his old cohorts, in particular percussionist Mani Neumeier from Guru Guru, these guys are all ancient yet still killing it. I've never heard what the punkers thot of Euro prog / Krautrock but I always considered those bands to be more Punk than most Punk bands, those guys just didn't give a damn about much of anything except the music! today, I can't sit thru much of the current fare and still look for what's cool but I like the old school vibe.

https://www.facebook.com/ax.genrich

http://www.psychedelicbabymag.com/2012/09/guru-guru-interview-with-ax-genrich.html

https://www.facebook.com/Mani.Neumeier1/

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Ozric+Tentacles

Edited by Bass V

10 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

* Hardly anyone (?) has suggested a 'peak year' preceding 1971. How odd.

That's because they're all on The Shadows forum (or skiffle, or music died in the 60s or Be Bop or similar).

It would be wonderful to know the Basschat demographic - but I suspect the 85th % ile age is between 45 and 65 etc etc!! Probably completely out of touch with youth music trends and have been for years!!! 

Ozric Tentacles are still going. Have a couple of mates that are huge fans of them and never miss a local gig by them in Glasgow.

I can see why many people thought Prog was tedious as it was more about technical ability and long drawn out songs that even myself as a Prog fan would find a bit too much and then along came the punk guys and i loved that change of pace too.

Altho i never regarded myself as a punk fan having hair down to my waist into mid to late 80's i really enjoyed a lot of the punk bands incl Pistols, Clash, Sham 69, Skids and Motors to name some i can remember. 

That was wiped aside by New Romantic movement if memory serves me right and many of those bands started off from punk bands but wanted fashion to play a part in their music. Again some great bands came out of that some of which are still going.

Dave

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

That's because they're all on The Shadows forum (or skiffle, or music died in the 60s or Be Bop or similar).

It would be wonderful to know the Basschat demographic - but I suspect the 85th % ile age is between 45 and 65 etc etc!! Probably completely out of touch with youth music trends and have been for years!!! 

Easily done if you're keen to find out - just set up a poll with a range of age bands :) 

11 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Ozric Tentacles are still going. Have a couple of mates that are huge fans of them and never miss a local gig by them in Glasgow.

I can see why many people thought Prog was tedious as it was more about technical ability and long drawn out songs that even myself as a Prog fan would find a bit too much and then along came the punk guys and i loved that change of pace too.

Altho i never regarded myself as a punk fan having hair down to my waist into mid to late 80's i really enjoyed a lot of the punk bands incl Pistols, Clash, Sham 69, Skids and Motors to name some i can remember. 

That was wiped aside by New Romantic movement if memory serves me right and many of those bands started off from punk bands but wanted fashion to play a part in their music. Again some great bands came out of that some of which are still going.

Dave

yeah, I'm listening to some OT from a coupla yrs ago, they got a monster bassist, I think it's ...a ...girl! LOL 

the thing with the punks hating prog was basic immaturity combined with natural rebellion, and bands like ELP were easy targets post '75 for boneheads who barely cared about their instruments or much of anything, and I can appreciate the whole ethos, yet anyone going to slag Greg Lake is beyond foolish and ELP's early stuff still slays. I mean Punk started in London and did so from 1 lone Stooges show, where would these kids have been had The Stooges not ventured to London for one last gasp? legend sez the few who went to that show came out and started a band or were involved with the new movement, everybody took from a Detroit / LA hard rock gutter band and started something which had died in LA and was buried in London and out of that came a new genre which lasts today. that's pretty damn cool.

I missed the whole Punk genesis in LA by moving to Honolulu in mid '75 so I had to play catch up from afar and instantly became a Pistols fanatic with their demo LP for Bullocks, to me they were street geniuses once they became a band and I really never cared for the rest of the UK output. I still preferred the US scene and then Iggy hit again with Bowie in '77 and off it went into a whole other realm of attitude rock which petered out in a decade as the '80s changed the face of rock and pretty much sucked the life out of real Rock n Roll. but it's like Gene Simmons sez, it's all about when you got on the train. in relation to KISS, if you were young and just getting into rock music and they were a big impression on you then you went nuts for KISS, but if you were merely 2 years ahead of that then you probably thot they were a joke. it's all relative but I learned early to have an open mind and ear after being stupid about bands I dismissed and then wised up on. it's been a fun journey and you bet I'm 'old' and happy that I got to see most all the good vintage bands in their prime! now... thank god for the internet! LOL

• Like 1

Just my personal opinion been in my mid 50s the 70s was without doubt the best musical decade ever! Nothing comes close all the classic bands ect....been some great music before and after but for me the 70s just head and shoulders above anything else, especially the Classic Rock scene. 

• Like 1

IMO the best contributions towards music from the 70s were the heyday of classic funk, King Tubby and the invention of Dub, the first major steps for electronica with Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream and the explosion of punk (for its attitude towards music making rather than the content)

Just now, dmccombe7 said:

Think its the guitarists wife Brandi that took over playing bass.

rather handy having a big bottom buster in your pocket ready to go as needed! she's incredible, really takes the music to another realm.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

One of the biggest things for me that came out of the 70's was the Glam Rock era. Loved it then and still do. That's why i'm in a Glam covers band now. :lol:

T-Rex were awesome.  Gary Savile Glitter on the other hand?! 🙄

• Like 1

Who's TC Elliot? Has he a daughter called Tracey (Trace for short)? Understand he's from Essex.

Re. the original topic, what a surprise that Roger Daltrey says rock "peaked" with one of his albums. No axe to grind there, eh?

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Al Krow said:

T-Rex were awesome.  Gary Savile Glitter on the other hand?! 🙄

Sweet, T.Rex, Bowie, Slade, Mud and many others were all exceptional bands. We don't play any Gary Glitter songs for the obvious reasons even tho our drummer was in The Glitter Band (not the original band but the early 90's reincarnation). There's no getting away from the fact he did contribute some good Glam Rock songs. Can't condone or forgive what he has done tho.

Dave

Ah yes Slade, my former school town heroes!

The Walsall torch is now being carried by a young Jorja Smith. (Aside: now I know there's a thread about English Pride (isn't that a beer?) going on elsewhere, but I'll have to 'fess to having a certain amount of home town pride in this young lady! But hey - I guess that's ok? It's the reason we support our local football clubs and not all gravitate to just the best ones...)

39 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Ah yes Slade, my former school town heroes!

The Walsall torch is now being carried by a young Jorja Smith. (Aside: now I know there's a thread about English Pride (isn't that a beer?) going on elsewhere, but I'll have to 'fess to having a certain amount of home town pride in this young lady! But hey - I guess that's ok? It's the reason we support our local football clubs and not all gravitate to just the best ones...)

And not forgetting our very own Bay City Rollers of course

3 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Sweet, T.Rex, Bowie, Slade, Mud and many others were all exceptional bands. We don't play any Gary Glitter songs for the obvious reasons even tho our drummer was in The Glitter Band (not the original band but the early 90's reincarnation). There's no getting away from the fact he did contribute some good Glam Rock songs. Can't condone or forgive what he has done tho.

Dave

I've seen the Glitter Band twice in about the last ten years, they've gone down a storm when they play GG songs. I think you're missing trick not playing any, just ask the crowd first

4 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

I've seen the Glitter Band twice in about the last ten years, they've gone down a storm when they play GG songs. I think you're missing trick not playing any, just ask the crowd first

Just think its maybe a bit risky Paul and many people might take offence at playing it but who knows it might be worth learning one or two and as you say we can ask the crowd before playing them if anyone objects. We coud cheat and say its by the Glitter Band as in effect it was :lol:

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

On 06/06/2018 at 08:25, dmccombe7 said:

I'm a fan of Prog and used to think Prog peaked in 70's with Genesis & Floyd but over last 10 years i started reading the Prog mag and the free CD's gave me an insight into some fantastic bands i thought had retired many years before and some other "new" Prog bands i'd simply never heard off.

Marillion. I've seen them twice at M'cr Academy in the last 18 months, utterly riveting, I've never felt an audience vibe so intense. Almost 40 years on, fresh new material but true to the best of the genre. The closest any of us will get now to what Pink Floyd must have been like live in their prime. I'm a pretty hardcore blues fan but I'd actually rather play bass in a prog band.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, josie said:

Marillion. I've seen them twice at M'cr Academy in the last 18 months, utterly riveting, I've never felt an audience vibe so intense. Almost 40 years on, fresh new material but true to the best of the genre. The closest any of us will get now to what Pink Floyd must have been like live in their prime. I'm a pretty hardcore blues fan but I'd actually rather play bass in a prog band.

I was more a fan of the Fish era Marillion altho some of the songs since have been excellent i just can't get into the "new" line up in same way. I buy an album and some tracks are great and others i find a bit tedious so stopped buying their albums.  

10 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

The glitter band had quite a few hits after they weren't with Gary Glitter, such as Angel face and Goodbye my love etc. Maybe something like that.

Think those 2 songs might be on the "possibilities" list