Why become a member? ×

Rock music peaked in 1971

Al Krow

55 minutes ago, ricksterphil said:

Quadraphenia is a work of genius imo...........discuss!

Q is still my fave Who stuff along with Next and got lucky to see the 2nd show of the '73 North American Quadrophenia Tour right after Keith's infamous crash and burn in Frisco. 1st of 2 nites @ The Fab Forum in LA and got a rare encore, Pete smashing his Les Paul, and two My Generations in one show! can't stand much of Tommy.

Edited by Bass V
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ricksterphil said:

6 pages of chat....Daltrey's PR people know their stuff!

Quadraphenia is a work of genius imo...........discuss!

Might be good PR, but I'm not going to buy his new album! I am tempted however to check out some of the Who releases from 1971 and earlier...hmmm maybe the PR did work after all 😄

• Like 1

On 03/06/2018 at 13:12, Al Krow said:

How could I forget and how come no else has mentioned the amazingly talented (and often under-rated) Queen's John Deacon and Duran Duran's John Taylor?!

I'm changing my name to John. 

45 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

i just don't get that at all i'm afraid even tho you posted in stereo Wylie xD

The stereo post was unintentional--I blunder my way across the keyboard.

The meaning, I believe, is that once rock music (in this case Fleetwood Mac, which descended over time from rock/blues to strained baby food) was expressed by way of tunes like 'Don't Stop,' rock was in most ways dead as a doornail. Punk happened because it was needed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Wylie said:

The meaning, I believe, is that once rock music (in this case Fleetwood Mac, which descended over time from rock/blues to strained baby food) was expressed by way of tunes like 'Don't Stop,' rock was in most ways dead as a doornail. Punk happened because it was needed.

Nah! Rumours was an awesome album (came out the same year as punk in the UK). Beautifully crafted and sung. If I could write anything 10% as good, I'd die a happy man. 

1 hour ago, Wylie said:

See where you're coming from now. In a way i agree. When popular music gets bland something powerful and refreshing comes along to sweep all the drivel away. I guess that's happened quite a few times over past 50 yrs.

Dave

1 hour ago, thepurpleblob said:

Pfft... is Biffy Clyro not rock. Is Wolf Alice not rock? And that's just the last two tracks I happened to listen to before answering this. Oh, and I'm old enough to *remember* 1971 by the way 😂

"Its Rock captain but not as we know it" :biggrin:

They are Rock but for me they are more Pop Rock. Not that it matters they are still Rock. Had never heard of Wolf Alice before and youtubed them. Quite like them. Quite a varied sound across their songs and hard to define them into any one category to be honest. Not heard much more than occasional hit song from Biffy either.

31 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

See where you're coming from now. In a way i agree. When popular music gets bland something powerful and refreshing comes along to sweep all the drivel away. I guess that's happened quite a few times over past 50 yrs.

Dave

Ok to keep some balance in the force, I'll have to confess I'm loving including Green Day in our wedding sets. Their album Dookie sold around 20 million copies pretty much the same, in fact, as Rumours by Fleetwood Mac...and if Fleetwood Mac was the indirect cause of Green Day, well three cheers for FM then! 😀 I'll happily listen to and appreciate the enormous talent of both bands. 

40 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

They are Rock but for me they are more Pop Rock. Not that it matters they are still Rock. Had never heard of Wolf Alice before and youtubed them. Quite like them. Quite a varied sound across their songs and hard to define them into any one category to be honest. Not heard much more than occasional hit song from Biffy either.

Not a fan of Biffy, but love Wolf Alice.

They aren't really that pop although they have some poppy songs, a few singles on each album, but some of them a long way from pop.

And all of them I would rather listen to that the Who!

Couple of things:

* The observation that 1971 may (or may not) have been the year that 'rock' peaked does not impede one's enjoyment of product released in any other year. Indeed, pretty much most of everything worthwhile that's ever been recorded in any year is still available somewhere, so the issue of peak year is pretty much moot in practical terms. Which leaves us with the issue of people feeling vigorously proprietorial about their 'year' or their 'band'; which is subjective rather than objective but that's the interwebz for ya.

* Hardly anyone (?) has suggested a 'peak year' preceding 1971. How odd.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

but can that really happen again? not to repeat the old Patent Office fallacy of nothing new to be invented but re Rock what could possibly be new AND great?

'50s, '60s, and early '70s RnR was mostly pretty dumb but certainly had it's immense charms to our parent's chagrin LOL as did the smatypants proggers, then glam and Punk took it to the bottom of the barrel but still retaining cred, after that was the 'grunge' Renaissance which gloriously hit but of course eventually stagnated and we've been left with a weak amalgam of all those bright spots with a few exceptions. is there really any high octane left in the tank or are we just running on fumes?

Edited by Bass V

56 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

... Hardly anyone (?) has suggested a 'peak year' preceding 1971. How odd.

For the stuff I listened to (and still do...) there was a definite 'hump' spanning '67-'69, and a few more favourites in '74-'75. That's not to say that nowt has come out in other years, up to and including present times (Gojira..? Einstürzende Neubauten..? Magma..? The list is long...), but my 'Desert Island Disks' are from my late teens. I'd take the Complete Works of Joni Mitchell as my 'luxury', though. :sun_bespectacled:

3 hours ago, Wylie said:

I think you'll find punk happened for a lot of reasons but mainly because a group of kids got the opportunity to perform for a load of other kids - aherm just like the fab 4 and others did in the 60s - and a couple of scallies from Manchester and Messrs Albarn and co did in the mid 90s. The fact punk was pretty aggressive and had its own fashion is no more seminal in my view than other genres over time - maybe a reflection of aggressive times in the mid to late 70s - a couple of my haunts as a early 20s youth were blown to bits, complete with packed crowds at that time - and I doubt a punk gig was any more aggressive than a Slade one in their skinhead era - although communal gobbling was a punk trait only......

The fact is Fleetwood Mac and their late 60s audience had developed musically so that's why the music changed - plus all the other influences of the time.

It is very true that many of us do turn into our dads in terms of musical tolerance (I do remember mine being outraged - and I mean seriously and vocally so - by the JH Experience on TOTP doing Purple Haze and demanding to know why people couldn't play guitar properly, like Hank Marvin.

I used to play in a band with people a few years older than me and some of them, excellent musicians, were firmly of the belief that music died at the end of the 60s and anything after is rubbish - they too are Hank Marvin fans.

I like to think I have a fairly open mind when it comes to music and indeed I like playing bass across all genres and eras - having two children who are also big music fans and also play instruments is a tremendous way of being exposed to a lot of excellent music I wouldn't otherwise have heard or known about, whilst they grew up and developed their own tastes (spookily also varied in genre but slanted towards the dance/R and B side of things).

i think we are in danger of being grumpy old men in this thread without maybe realising - and of course that's exactly what Mr Daltrey is!! A track off his new album came on the radio last night whilst I was driving - I have to say it was damned excellent - a pity my mind has him down now as a bit of a b*ll end as far as musical views are concerned - but I do recommend a listen - for such an old git he sounds bloody excellent!! 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

For the stuff I listened to (and still do...) there was a definite 'hump' spanning '67-'69, and a few more favourites in '74-'75. 

My humps are '30-'50 (the country stuff) '50-'63 (the RnB and RnR stuff), '63-'69 (the pop and soul stuff) and '66-'77 for the garage and punk stuff. So, 1930-1977 is one big hump, basically.

19 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Einstürzende Neubauten

Good call

287356193_einsturzendeneubauten.jpg.9a97e598347998b42d4abad6d75877ff.jpg.

Gimme an E, will you?: Tuning up the Einstürzende Neubauten way

• Like 1

I am open-minded enough to think that music is still getting better generally - rock or otherwise. To suggest that anything has peaked closes off the subject for future expression. I haven't peaked, I'm only 46!

I'm a fan of Prog and used to think Prog peaked in 70's with Genesis & Floyd but over last 10 years i started reading the Prog mag and the free CD's gave me an insight into some fantastic bands i thought had retired many years before and some other "new" Prog bands i'd simply never heard off. 

IQ were a good example. They were an ok Prog band back in their early years but their more recent album Road of Bones is up there in my top 10 Prog albums.

Arjen Luccanssen another example where Lost In The New Real album again in my top 10.

I agree with someones comment that music genres haven't really peaked but continue to improve either in production, writing or technical ability.

Will punk ever make a resurgence ? who knows ? I do know many musicians that play in punk covers or even tribute bands so its still a hugely popular era to this day as their bands are always busy gigging.

I like the occasional Fleetwood Mac songs but Rumours was played everywhere i went when it was released to the point i got sick of it to the point i wouldn't buy anything from Fleetwood Mac. I don't think they are leaders of everything that came after but were simply part of an era that others things followed from.

As for the WHO again liked the occasional songs but have never bought an album except for a compilation album so i could learn one of their songs. I do like Baba Riley tho.

Dave

3 hours ago, BreadBin said:

I am open-minded enough to think that music is still getting better generally - rock or otherwise. To suggest that anything has peaked closes off the subject for future expression. I haven't peaked, I'm only 46!

I wish I could agree!

But I'm pretty firmly of the view that rock in all its forms before 2000 has generally outclassed what has happened since then and what is happening right now in 2018. Nightclubs all over the country are closing, kids today are as likely to be interested in computer gaming as they are in pop and rock and long gone are the days when we all eagerly waited to find out what the new top 10 chart was going to be!

Similarly classical music could well be said to have peaked around a century earlier - very little since about 1920 compares to the majestic works that were composed in abundance in the classical music golden age that preceded from Mozart to Mahler.

• Like 1