Why become a member? ×

Rock music peaked in 1971

Al Krow

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I agree that my 'greats' may not be the same as yours, but I'm sure we can ALL name four bands that are widely recognised as being collectively better than: Queens of the Stone Age, Arctic Monkeys, Muse and Kings of Leon.

Maybe. But from that list, I'd definitely put down Muse as one of the 'greats' of the current era. Some bands I like more and some I like less, and a few I consider special for their time. Muse are one of them. I think we tend to admire 'greatness' more in bands that we grew up with, perhaps because we 'discovered' music with them, and later bands do not impress us as much.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

For sure. 

Let me put it another way, how many of us would genuinely include these four standard bearers of post 2000 music in our top four bands of all time? If you had to take any four albums onto a desert island... 

My 4 bands of all time include at least one post 2000, and probably two of them will be post 1995... :)

And I'm not a millenial exactly ;)

13 minutes ago, mcnach said:

My 4 bands of all time include at least one post 2000, and probably two of them will be post 1995... :)

And I'm not a millenial exactly ;)

Go on then, you've peaked my interest! Your four greatest bands of all time would be? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

There was also a more limited style or "labelling" of Rock before 71 compared to what is classed as Rock today therefore more bands were playing similar styles of Rock.

Prog was going in late 60's but recognized as peaking in mid to late 70's.

Today we have Rock, Classic Rock, Prog Rock, Heavy Rock, Indie, Metal, Thrash, even Folk rock and probably more that i can't think off at the moment. 

My point being that back in 71 it was all more or less classed as simply Rock and may have seemed like there were more "Rock" bands about

What do fellow BC'ers class as Rock music ?

Dave

That's true Dave, but the discussion is based on today's terminology. Remember Daltrey made his comment just a few days ago in 2018 not in 1971...

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

There was also a more limited style or "labelling" of Rock before 71 compared to what is classed as Rock today therefore more bands were playing similar styles of Rock.

Prog was going in late 60's but recognized as peaking in mid to late 70's.

Today we have Rock, Classic Rock, Prog Rock, Heavy Rock, Indie, Metal, Thrash, even Folk rock and probably more that i can't think off at the moment. 

My point being that back in 71 it was all more or less classed as simply Rock and may have seemed like there were more "Rock" bands about

What do fellow BC'ers class as Rock music ?

Dave

that's one of the problems LOL the huge tent coined Rock includes virtually anything BUT actual ROCK! ever since the internet gave us tons of great stuff we might have missed back in the day I've become an even bigger fan of Mountain, when Leslie was up for it they were as good as anyone on stage, our boy Felix was the brains behind all that and his voice and bass remain monstrous examples of good ol' hard rock while Corky's simplistic pounding was perfect. for it to be great it's got to, as Little Richard says, make your big toe shoot up in your boot! other wise as Malcolm Young said, it's stinky poo! LOL

Edited by Bass V
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

That's true Dave, but the discussion is based on today's terminology. Remember Daltrey made his comment just a few days ago in 2018 not in 1971...

Apologies i thought he made that comment back in 71. 

Its an age thing 😊 

Dave

Go on then, you've peaked my interest! Your four greatest bands of all time would be? 

It's a tough call!!! :D

If you ask me at different times I may give you different answers... but The Cat Empire will be in the list. They formed in 1999. Not sure which 4 bands I'd choose to be my top ones, I'd need a lot of sleepless nights to be able to choose :p but The Cat Empire and Muse would be in my 'greats' list, no question, together with much older stuff like Jethro Tull and AC/DC. I'm an eclectic type...

• Like 1

Yep that would make for an interesting read McNach. 

For me it would be Rush, Arjen Luccassen, Deep Purple and Bowie if he can be classed as Rock which i would think yes.

Dave 

• Like 1

On 01/06/2018 at 12:36, vantagepointrocks said:

Well I've certainly got hundreds of albums in my garage that were released by my band, unfortunately they all look and sound very similar ... 

Lots of copies of the same album perhaps ? :P

• Like 1

5 pages already talking about a guy who's just released a new album, looks like his work here is done. 

From the TV advert it sounds poop to me and they've even crammed in "featuring Pete 'I was researching for my book' Townshend on guitar" into it, considering the other two members of the who are dead that'll be a who album then! Lol. 

• Haha 1

On 01/06/2018 at 15:59, BigRedX said:

And how is that working out for you in terms of sales?

My experience selling records and CDs of the various bands I've been in is that we've made back a bigger proportion of the money we've spent when we have actual physical product then when it's simply downloads and streaming. Add to this the fact that almost no-one buys downloads anymore and the revenue from streaming is negligible for bands whose following is just a few hundreds rather than tens of thousands.

And as a punter, if I've enjoyed your band, and I still have some cash in my pocket at the end of the night there is a very good chance that I'll buy a copy of your record or CD if you have one available. Buy a download the following day even if I've remembered who you are and where to get it from? No where near as likely. Listen to you on Spotify? Probably not more than once.

So thats somewhere between £5 and £20 depending on the format and what the band have decided to charge for an album as opposed to 0.45 ¢ (which is roughly what I get for each Spotify track streamed). Put another way a listener what have to stream a 10 track album in its entirety 15 times for the band to get the same revenue as they would for a single £5 CD album sale.

Money made from sales and streams has been negligible. 

I've always made more money from selling CDs that what we've been paid for in streams and downloads. But unfortunately we have never sold enough CDs to cover the cost of getting them printed up.

When we play gigs I still have enough of our previous albums to go round the punters afterwards with something to sell. If I ever get rid of them, then I might consider getting the new one printed up. 

1 hour ago, jazzmanb said:

...We all turn into our Dads (well most ) ,turn that rubbish down, back in my day bla bla !!

I get told to "turn my (live) bass home rehearsing 'music' down, and stop shaking the house while I'm at it!" by my teenage kids! 😄 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Meddle said:

I wonder how that book is coming along! I read 'Who I Am', and I'm guessing this wasn't the book. Pete's whole angle was "I might have been abused as a child myself, but the brain has funny ways of processing this information so I'm not sure, but ergo I'm the spokesperson for everybody who was abused as a child". 

I'm not sure how looking at abused children was going to help him decide if he had been abused, I can't see many publishers getting involved with his next book if it contains that topic. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jazzmanb said:

Not the first person to think that the best music was when he was the most open to it and when the stars were aligned.We all turn into our Dads (well most ) ,turn that rubbish down,back in my day bla bla !!

Jeez I hope not, my Dad liked Jennifer Rush and Dana!

2 hours ago, spongebob said:

I'll never understand quite how that whole saga played out. For numerous others, that would have been career over. 

I suspect he escaped by the skin of his teeth, if the story had come out post Savile he'd have been toast, pre Savile stuff like this was mostly brushed under the carpet, even if it did go to court some kindly judge made sure the verdict was the 'right' one, anyone watch a very English Scandal?

Edited by PaulWarning