Why become a member? ×

Rock music peaked in 1971

Al Krow

2 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Roger's just looking for publicity for his new album... And he's probably right that his rock music peaked in 1971. 

Just means he's stuck in his own past and hasn't noticed the world moving on.

This! Rock was only just developing in '71 so by saying it peaked then means you are either incredibly uninformed, arrogant, thick or a combination of all 3.

Those born in the 40’s  - “The best music was in the 1950’s and 60’s”

Those born in the 50’s  - “The best music was in the 1960’s and 70’s”

Those born in the 60’s  - “The best music was in the 1970’s and 80’s”

Those born in the 70’s  - “The best music was in the 1980’s and 90’s”

Those born in the 80’s  - “The best music was in the 1990’s and 00’s”

- Repeat ad lib till fade.................................

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

The biggest albums of 1971 in the USA were Tapestry (Carole King), Pearl (Janis Joplin) and All Things Must Pass (George Harrison). As peaks go, I've seen bigger.

On t'other hand, in the UK you're looking at Bridge Over Troubled Water (Simon & Garfunkel), Every Picture Tells A Story (Rod Stewart) and Sticky Fingers (Rolling Stones). That's taking us a bit higher.

Dig a bit deeper into those charts and you'll find some truly great rock music IMHO, but then given my age (I was 15 in 1971) that's hardly surprising; this is the stuff I grew up listening to.

Who's Next is my favourite album by The Who and it did reach No.1 in the charts ... for just a single week. At the time, it was a well-received album but not considered in any way ground-shattering. Most of the reviews note that it was actually a step back towards 'normal' rock music after the excesses of Tommy.

The Top Ten singles included Knock Three Times (Dawn), Pushbike Song (The Mixtures), Never Ending Song Of Love (New Seekers) and either Grandad (Clive Dunn) or Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep (Middle Of The Road) depending on which charts you believe.

I think we can safely say that 1971 was probably more of a valley than a peak for popular (as opposed to rock) music.

Hmmmm...Hunky Dory, LA Woman, Led Zep IV, Fragile, Aqualung, Master Of Reality (Paranoid and Black Sabbath were still in the charts), then for the non-rock-fan there's Curtis Live, What's Going On, Surf's Up, Joni's Blue, The Allmans at Fillmore East, Shaft, Bryter Layter.

Whilst I fully agree Mr Daltrey is hitching his latest project onto a controversial statement, outside of the pop field there was an enormous amount going on in 1971...

I think picking the top of the pops in any year can ruin its credibility...look at '78: in the midst of the Punk Revolution(tm), Paul McCartney spent nine weeks at number one, and Boney M's Brown Girl In The Ring was the biggest selling single of the year... :|

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Skol303 said:

I admittedly haven't read the interview, but it sounds like another ageing proponent of rock music doing the genre no favours at all.

Like some kind of ailing Egyptian king, wanting all of the riches to be buried along with him. If rock music really did peak in the 1970s then it truly deserves to die off. But I doubt any young bands starting out in the genre would give a flying **** about Daltry's opinion on the matter. In spite of his achievements, I personally have always thought him to be a monumental...

To be fair, he did manage to hook-up with one of the all time greatest bass players called "John". In fact I can't think of a better bass player called John, can you?

22 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

To be fair, he did manage to hook-up with one of the all time greatest bass players called "John". In fact I can't think of a better bass player called John, can you?

John Paul Jones?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I had to do a double take when I read that! I initially thought who is this fellow BCer who has released hundreds of albums after 1971? :D

Well I've certainly got hundreds of albums in my garage that were released by my band, unfortunately they all look and sound very similar ... 

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, vantagepointrocks said:

Well I've certainly got hundreds of albums in my garage that were released by my band, unfortunately they all look and sound very similar ... 

Well that is AMAZING fella. Respect.

Please post a link to your favourite and I'll give it a listen.

1 minute ago, vantagepointrocks said:

I do mean hundreds of copies of the same album that remain, unfortunately, very unsold – but I always hope they will be bought ;-)

What format? How much you after including postage? Be good to have a quick listen to a couple of tracks before committing, if that's possible, but I'm always impressed by any of us that have released an album, even it is just one.

Right up near the top of my bucket list of things I'd like to do before that bucket gets kicked or at least arthritic!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skol303 said:

Absolutely. Like I said, I can't fault Daltrey's achievements.

I just think he's a bit of a knobber :)

Well plenty of folk already think that about me and I don't have anything like 0.001% of Daltrey's musical achievements to show for it! xD

26 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

What format? How much you after including postage? Be good to have a quick listen to a couple of tracks before committing, if that's possible, but I'm always impressed by any of us that have released an album, even it is just one.

Right up near the top of my bucket list of things I'd like to do before that bucket gets kicked or at least arthritic!

TBH it's not such a big deal anymore in this digital age. Anyone with a recording and a spare $50 can get their music up on iTunes, Amazon, Spotify etc.

Of course if you are talking physical product, then it does take a bit more financial commitment, but I suspect that most of us who have played in originals bands have at least a box of unsold CDs or vinyl lurking somewhere. I've still got several hundred copies of the D i c k Venom & The Terrortones album along with a box or two of just about every other record and CD I've been involved with. In fact the only releases I don't have multiple unsold copies of lying around are those that were paid for by someone other than the band whose music was on it. That for me is the proper test of a band's worth - can you persuade someone else (not a friend or family member) to put up the money for you to make and release a recording?

EDIT - A note to the mods. Can you please do something about the stupid American-entric profanity filter, that won't even let me type the name of one of my previous bands properly?

Edited by BigRedX

5 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I can`t see this myself, how can AC/DC not have been taking rock uphill, or Guns N Roses, both quality bands imo.

Is he saying "rock" peaked and all bands since are other forms such as "metal" but not what he calls rock ? 

4 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Who's Next is my favourite album by The Who and it did reach No.1 in the charts ... for just a single week. At the time, it was a well-received album but not considered in any way ground-shattering. Most of the reviews note that it was actually a step back towards 'normal' rock music after the excesses of Tommy.

Not sure if it's my favourite Who album, but it's undoubtedly their finest work. It's worth remembering that at the time Roger himself wasn't too happy with it, saying it felt like the band had "lost a bollock". He was also less than complimentary about the use of synthesizers.

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

John Francis Anthony Pastorius?

• Like 1

How much you after including postage? Be good to have a quick listen to a couple of tracks before committing, if that's possible, but I'm always impressed by any of us that have released an album, even it is just one.

If that includes released vinyl that we played on (I'd be a bit pretentious claiming that it was me who "released the album"!) remind me to bring a copy of mine if we ever get to meet! The artist was a Spanish singer/songwriter named Dani Molino.

Here's a track:

• Like 1

Well plenty of folk already think that about me and I don't have anything like 0.001% of Daltrey's musical achievements to show for it! xD

Haha, don't worry Al. You can be a knobber with or without any musical accomplishments, as I certainly am :D

2 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

And the 70s threw up more than it's fair share of dung. 

Mostly just 4 chords in the 50's

Nothing much really decent since 2000 :D

Edited by Al Krow

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

John Giblin? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vantagepointrocks said:

I do mean hundreds of copies of the same album that remain, unfortunately, very unsold – but I always hope they will be bought ;-)

If it's anything like the clips on t'Tube, they're Good Stuff. I, too, would like to reduce your stocks, if you'd like to quote me for expedition to France, please..?
Maybe we should start a whole 'Unsung Unsold Heroes' thread, for liquidating stuff like this..? :D

• Like 1