Why become a member? ×

SOLD Drop to £1000 1982 JV Squier Precision, Fender Logo, tobaccoburst
£1200

Paul S

Ever since I moved to 5 string basses around 15 months ago I haven't touched my 4 string basses and can't in all honesty see me going back to 4. 

I bought this on here nearly 5 years ago from LukeFRC - a 1982 JV Squier Precision bass in tobaccoburst with a maple neck and white pick guard.  The white pickguard has aged to cream, highlighting a white patch where a sticker had once been applied - I am sure the pickguard could be polished back to an even white but I always liked the mojo.  I recall Luke saying that when he bought it the pickup was not an original one but he went to some trouble to source a similar vintage JV pickup, with the raised pole pieces, cloth wires etc and had it fitted to return it to how it should be.  Other than that this has not been mauled about.  One of the tuners is very slightly out of plumb - still works just fine.   Stats - weighs in at 9lbs pretty much exactly, 43mm at the nut, string spacing 21mm at the bridge - will come with an almost new Hiscox case.  It is not in perfect mint condition, but for an instrument that is over 35 years old it is in extremely good nick. 

Luke has very kindly allowed me to post a link to a huge portfolio of pictures he took when selling the bass as he has done a far, far better job of photographing it than I ever could.  Nothing has changed in the ensuing years - no extra dings or marks - other than the neck has deepened to an even richer shade of caramel and it sports a set of barely used DR High Beams.

Luke's photo album

What else can I say?  This is a superb, early example of the most desirable first run of Japaneses Squiers sporting the large Fender spaghetti logo and everything you have read about how good they are is true. This is absolutely delicious: the nicest Precision bass I have had in my mitts in terms of sound and playability.  Stick flats on it and you have all the Motown 'old school' thump you could wish for.  New rounds and tone open you have a growling rock monster - all with that underlying fabulous woody P bass sumptuousness.   But, as much as I like to open the case and gaze at it longingly, it seems almost a crime to just sit on this for the sake of it as it is way too nice not to be played, so here we are.  

Price is £1200 firm.   Now just £1000.    No trades, thanks.  Overnight and fully insured courier to mainland UK using UPS via Interparcel came out at a hefty £65 - mainly because of the insurance.  I would far rather it was collected from SS7, meet halfway or delivered for fuel costs within reason.  I am happy to pack it safely for travel further afield but you must arrange you own courier.

jvf1.jpg

jvf2.jpg

jvf3.jpg

Edited by Paul S
Price drop
  • Like 1

Lovely bass I’ve owned two however both had been modified with newer pickups and one had a Jazz pickup at the bridge. If my JV Jazz sells I’ll be looking at this, whereabouts are you? 

1 minute ago, sblueplanet said:

A gold anodised guard would be a nice addition B|

I never understood why they made these with white guards when they were a clear ‘57 reissue. All the other JV models of this initial few months were extremely period accurate, and this was certainly an odd omission.

On 31/05/2018 at 22:50, Rick's Fine '52 said:

I never understood why they made these with white guards when they were a clear ‘57 reissue. All the other JV models of this initial few months were extremely period accurate, and this was certainly an odd omission.

These where made with annodised pg and also with true nitro finish on the most expensive 95 models. I owned one altho it was a domestic JV '57 seeing the price I wished I still had it;) its correct tho.

Glwts!

On 31/05/2018 at 21:46, sblueplanet said:

A gold anodised guard would be a nice addition B|

On 31/05/2018 at 21:50, Rick's Fine '52 said:

I have an identical one, with big "Fender", and while I still have the original white plate (and the original inspection tag!), mine sports an anodised guard...  Definitely looks great, but I also like the white...

On 01/06/2018 at 10:31, Paul S said:

Thanks chaps.  Whoever buys this won't be disappointed - guaranteed!  :)

I second that guarantee! I bought mine new in '82, and used it exclusively for most of the 80s (until I could afford a Wal!) then it spent a good few years under the bed having migrated to 5 strings, but I recently did a 60s theatre tour and used it as my main bass.  It was like playing an old friend, these are without doubt (IMHO!) the best and lightest precisions I have ever played.  Pretty much anyone else who plays it immediately makes me an offer or tries to make off with it!  Mine will have to be torn from my cold dead fingers...  You will NOT be disappointed.  GLWTS!

26 minutes ago, MoJoKe said:

I have an identical one, with big "Fender", and while I still have the original white plate (and the original inspection tag!), mine sports an anodised guard...  Definitely looks great, but I also like the white...

I second that guarantee! I bought mine new in '82, and used it exclusively for most of the 80s (until I could afford a Wal!) then it spent a good few years under the bed having migrated to 5 strings, but I recently did a 60s theatre tour and used it as my main bass.  It was like playing an old friend, these are without doubt (IMHO!) the best and lightest precisions I have ever played.  Pretty much anyone else who plays it immediately makes me an offer or tries to make off with it!  Mine will have to be torn from my cold dead fingers...  You will NOT be disappointed.  GLWTS!

Agreed on all counts. 

They definitely look better with gold guards, as they should have been, and I've seen many that have been swapped over, which is why I don't know why they didn't just make them with anodized guards. White guards make no sense. They are certainly more desirable with the original white guards still attached though, like this one.

Playing wise, again, fabulous, nobody will be disappointed with these 1st batch JV's.

On 11/06/2018 at 12:47, Rick's Fine '52 said:

They are certainly more desirable with the original white guards still attached though, like this one.

When I eventually get around to not putting mine up for sale, I'll certainly put the white guard back on!!  🤣

I agree, best sold all original!  Good luck Paul!

Edited by MoJoKe

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/06/2018 at 17:26, stevie said:

I can vouch for the origin of this bass, as I bought it new in 1982 (or whenever it was) and sold it to LukeFRC to pay for my ripoff dental work. Hard times.

and I played it lots for years until @Rick's Fine '52 convinced me it was a bit too nice an instrument to be carrying in a softcase on the back of a push bike and I should look after it, and I sorted the pups on my streamer and I was able to pick up one of those holy grail basses for me (at the time) if I sold it... 
This is though an absolutely amazing instrument, that I was lucky to have owned for the time I did. 

The thing that I think is impressive about this instrument, I've played dozens of precision basses, and similar versions of precision basses. And they all sound like variations on that vague theme that is "Precision bass" in your head. 
This though is special, you plug it in and it doesn't sound like the vague idea of a precision bass.... it sounds like those records you've got with precision basses on them. 
The way it sits in the mix is amazing, classic Precision - but if you dig in you can get this almost bright grindy attack off the maple neck. 

Whoever picks this instrument up won't be disappointed.

On 31/05/2018 at 15:41, Paul S said:

I recall Luke saying that when he bought it the pickup was not an original one but he went to some trouble to source a similar vintage JV pickup, with the raised pole pieces, cloth wires etc and had it fitted to return it to how it should be.

I bought it with a SD SPB1 pickup in it (which sounded good). At Rick's suggestion I found someone on here who had fitted his JV squier pickup in I think his Kramner bass. Me asking if I could buy the pickup came to nout so two years or so later I ended up buying the whole bass off him, switching the pickups and selling on the Kramer. 
If you can forgive my playing, and the fact this was recorded in the worst possible manner known to recording history (straight in the mic input of a iMac into GarageBand I think!) 

Ah, if only you were looking for at least a partial trade good sir :)
This looks a stunning example of a JV Precision
And I can confirm that Paul S is a top bloke and all round great BC'er to deal with
Buy in complete confidence BC'ers :)

• 2 weeks later...